Verdant Succession - Stemmed from the Forbidden Ritual Experiment

B

Bcopes

My last suggestion of adding the Succession(sp?) to a forbidden ritual deck got me thinking about the card, and some semi-casually-abusive possiblities (warning: this is by no means meant to be broken-casual tech)

The idea of adding recursion to create some sort of wacky, janky Succession Engine

Anyway...i'm thinking about these cards:

Verdant Succession
Deranged Hermit
Nantuko Tracer
Greater Good
Gaea's Blessing
Yavimaya Elder/Granger
Wall of Blossoms
Wild Mongrel

The idea, of course is to amass an obscene amount of squirrels into play by using the most redculous, underplayed means necessary.

Breif Explaination of choices (and please correct/suggest anything if i'm wrong):

Verdant Succession: The little engine that could generate silly effects and will

Deranged Hermit: Black Market Squirrel Supplier

Nantuko Tracer: Used to recur Hermits in a to perpetuate the engine

Greater Good: Fine, underrated card drawing. This could really be a work horse if anybody ever gives it a chance. It sacs hermits to get the squirrel-o-matic going, it draws you cards in the process, and then makes you discard, hopefully a Gaea's Blessing, into the graveyard to repeat recursion. It can be used as an efficient means to find answers in your deck, or just to thin it out.

Gaea's Blessing: Creates loopy loops.

Yavimaya Elder/Granger: Granger recurs to put several lands into play in one turn (i know, they're tapped, and so is my bank account, so what). The elder can serve the dual purpose of either fetching you lands for faster mana, or by filling you hand full of cards to ditch to Greater Good, in case there's any goodies worth keeping.

Wall of Blossoms: D-FENZ

Wild Mongrel: In case, just in case you need to discard something right quick. And they're one of the best early threats ever printed.

So, that's it. The "big" idea. It's not all that grand in the grand scheme of things (grand!), but I think it could make for a fun deck none the less.

T

train

you need to make sure you recurring nightmare the hermit druid...

T

train

cycle the hermit for multiplying squirrels...

Recurring nightmare:

Sacrifice a creature, Return Recurring Nightmare to its owner's hand: Return target creature card from your graveyard to play. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

don't pay the echo for the druid, and let the fun begin...:D

B

Bcopes

oh, righto....reminiscent of the rock deck thing. Just had another Idea. Is there a green enchantment that's a permanent metamorphosis? If there is, then perhaps something could be done with that, Captain Squirrel Nuts, and corpse dance for infinite squirrel magic.

M

Mikeymike

Verdant Succession is my favorite wacky green enchantment ever. There are so many things you can do with it.

I regards to your specific question, they did make Metamorphosis a permanent with Food Chain, but it requires you remove the creature from the game - none too good with the Succession.

Other "sac a creature" permanents that can be used to great effect include Goblin Bombardment, Phyrexian/Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dimentia, Smokestack/Braids, and more.

Also, graveyard recyclers work quite well to ensure you don't run out of gas (esp in MP). Look at cards like Rooting Kavu, Barishi, Elvish Soultiller, and Gurzigost.

Speaking of Gurzigost, I've got him (and Ravenous Baloth) in a pretty solid Beast/tricks deck running along side Verdant Succession and AEther Charge. Its an interesting deck b/c it acts as a typical Beast/beatdown deck (with Baloth lifegain backup) that all of a sudden turns into a combo deck with Baloth/Succession/Charge. Here's the decklist if you're interested.

Natural Order would be kind of neat as well.

T

train

well - if you run and mana echoes - you souldn't have to worry about many mana problems...

"What was that!!!...
in it's younger days it was a fireball..."

R

Reverend Love

Wow some great ideas for a card I've been eyeballing lately.

The first thing which came to mind was Stangg's artifact cousin Gemini Engine.

Four 3/4s for six mana...not bad.

Of course where we're going to see the most broken things happening will be with creatures that have "comes into play" effects.

Flametongue Kavu (kinda dangerous though), Cackling Fiend, Nekrataal, Siege-Gang Commander etc.

B

Bcopes

That's a pretty rad deck, Mike(e-mike). I wish I knew about a lot of these newer cards. Never had the chance to have a Baloth grace my side of the table, but I wish I had...especially with the succession.

Originally posted by Reverend Love
The first thing which came to mind was Stangg's artifact cousin Gemini Engine.

Four 3/4s for six mana...not bad.

Of course where we're going to see the most broken things happening will be with creatures that have "comes into play" effects.

Flametongue Kavu (kinda dangerous though), Cackling Fiend, Nekrataal, Siege-Gang Commander etc.
I wish it worked that way, but I think the succession only gets green dudes....stupid useless, token robbing Stangg!

T

train

Verdant will get Stangg... and cromat, and sliver queen, and spiritmonger, and any other (green in the cost) multi-color creature...

B

Bcopes

True...but who would want to sac their sliver queens, spiritmongers, chromats, ect.?

Unless we went green/black, and used some clever trick to pop them into the graveyard, corpse-danced them, and then sacked them so the succession resolved. But it would be easier to just animate them another way.

I'll think of something.

Just thought of something.

Verdant Succession.

Symbiotic Wurm.

Altar of dementia.

56 Cards.

T

train

that's an idea... you can easily run it with pernicious deeds, and other nice gy friendly items...

"I put things in the gy... I take things out... How about you guys?!..."

B

Bcopes

4x Symbiotic Wurm
4x Spike Feeder/Ravenous Baloth
4x Llanowar Elves/Birds of Pardise

2x Faceless Butcher
3x Mesmeric Fiend
2x Apprentice Necromancer

4x Altar of Dementia
4x Verdant Succession
4x Duress
2x Corpse Dance
3xExhume

4x Wasteland
4x Fetch Land
2x City of Brass
6x Forest
6x Swamp
2x Volrath's Stronghold

Take that! Casual Extended.

T

train

Don't forget the altars...

and some worldly and diabolic tutors... (casual extended)

R

Rooser

he didn't forget the altars.....

You guys are missing nantuko tracer, which nets you an infintely big carrion feeder or nantuko husk, or infinite mana with ashnod's or phyrexian altars. It's a much cleaner combo.

T

train

i DEFINITELY MISSED THE ALTARS... and the caps lock key...

The deck isn't looking for the inf. mana - but I'm sure it could find a use for it... critters - we know it could use...;)

R

Rooser

Okay, here it is - three-card combo:

Verdant Succession + Goblin Bombardment + Nantuko Tracer

I'd run white too so you can roll with Sterling Groves and maybe some other helper cards.

For card drawing: Why, none better than skullclamp!

B

Bcopes

Ah....forgot the wording on the tracer....thought it read:
"Sacrifice: return target card...blah blah blah."

Well, that works!