Retraced Pirates

R

Rooser

Ha! I did it! This is one of my better rogue creations in a while. It's solid, but uses really weird cards, (Retraced Image? Yes! It fits perfect!) Anyway, it's blue. Really blue. Blue in the truest sense of blue - it breaks the color wheel. Train, close your eyes. Very light on counter magic actually - but I'm sure after a round with this you'll agree: Daze is the new school Force of Will.

Anyway, this deck is all about tempo. If you can't get the jump on them early, you will lose! The intent of this deck is to be a rogue Extended deck, not a casual multiplayer one. Though pirates do hit all opponents, the deck doesn't exactly tie up everbody's resources at once.

Here's the list. I'll explain it afterward.

Landations (20):
Island x20

The Brute Squad (12):
Rishadan Cutpurse x4
Rishadan Footpad x4
Rishadan Brigand x4

Les Spells (24):
Retraced Image x4
Curfew x4
Daze x4
Boomerang x4
Hoodwink x4
Accumulated Knowledge x4

Pieces Der Resistance (4):
Isochron Scepter x4

Okay, so I'm cheating you say, cuz I'm using Isochron Scepter in an Extended blue deck. Maybe.

Now, if you're the Johnny who likes to break dumb cards, you might have looked at Retraced Image and thought, "Maybe if I ... no." Me, I forgot about the card as soon as I read it in the Torment spoiler some years back. However, it was pointed out to me that it could work as "blue mana acceleration," meaning that you drop an island on turn one, then cast this and reveal another island in your hand, thus getting two land drops on turn one. Not too useful in most cases, but useful here! Better, while it acts as a poor man's mox diamond on the first turn, it acts as a blue dark ritual on the subsequent turns, allowing you to drop pirates into play for only one mana. It sounds strange, but it works, trust me. The way this deck runs you can use the extra land drop and you can use the cheap pirates.

The other weird card in here is Curfew. What you get with this card is early bounce to stop those mana-buddies and mid-game bounce to slow down the rush AND return a pirate to your hand. Further, you get the addded bonus of randomly teching against untargetable creatures. Plus, believe it or not, this card is quite broken on the Scepter - in this deck anyway. You tie up their resources by sucking up a creature and you get to recast a pirate. Every turn. It can be pretty vicious.

The next weirdest card in here is Daze. Since you're tying up your opponents resources so bad, an ACC force spike is some good, and can win some psychological battles. Daze always catches them off guard the first time, and after that you got the perfect set-up: you're always bluffing the card, no matter how many lands you leave open, and your opponents become wary and slow and start to assume that they gotta save one extra mana for each spell they cast. It's win-win for you.

After that the deck is pretty simple. Bounce land, cast pirates, cause grumbling.

I'm open to suggestions!

B

Bcopes

Nice tech with the retraced image...i might have to get some of those now.

T

train

retraced image is extremely underrated - it's unbelievable with fat green guys...

too bad it's blue...;)

D

DeathMaster666

You could always pump something out using an Oath variant. I like retraced image, and I used it in a prerestriction mind's desire deck once (its a spell for 1 that gets you more mana).

O

orgg

FLASH! AAAAaaaaahhh!

That'd be nice on a stick.

..also, there's a Squid in Prophecy that taps all players' lands when it comes into play... that may be useful, though I'm not sure if you'd really want it in the deck as a dead draw.

T

train

You could also run animate decks using the retraced...

but to stay on topic - is there a reason capsize is not included?... or used?...

R

Rooser

Capsizes were part of the original plan, but I ran out of room. Fact is, boomerang on an isochron is just as bad.

I was thinking I could multiplayer this thing up with tangle wires and maybe parallax tides. What say you guys to that?

Oh, and I just might go hunting for umbillicusseseses (sp?).

B

Bcopes

Wires will work well...not too sure about the tides, though....they'd only really cut one player. Sunder maybe (i think that's like evaccuation for lands).

D

DeathMaster666

Originally posted by Rooser
Capsizes were part of the original plan, but I ran out of room. Fact is, boomerang on an isochron is just as bad.

I was thinking I could multiplayer this thing up with tangle wires and maybe parallax tides. What say you guys to that?

Oh, and I just might go hunting for umbillicusseseses (sp?).
Umbilici?

T

train

Voltaic Keys could help you make the best use of the scepters...;)