multiplayer R/W: Friendly Rivalry

K

krichaiushii

In an earlier post of Mikeymike's, I commented that a Rivalry deck is a different deck, entirely. Mikeymike agreed, and as such, I have taken the liberty of posting one.

Friendly Rivalry:

Creatures: 20
4 Hired Giant
4 Trenching Steed
4 Avenging Angels
2 Troubled Healer
2 Viashino Heretic
2 Soltari Guerrillas
1 Exalted Dragon
1 Mageta, the Lion

Spells/Artifacts: 23
4 Rivarly
3 Lodestone Bauble
3 Oath of Lieges
3 Pegasus Stampede
3 Enlightened Tutor
2 Fireblast
2 Reaping the Rewards
2 Glorious Anthem
1 Dwarven Armory

Lands: 21
12 Plains
9 Mountains

There are 15 assorted cards that have "sac a land" as a cost of some sort. The Hired Giants ensure your opponents have more land for you, which in turn lets you use Oath of Lieges more often. With 10 enchantments, and 3 artifacts, Enlightend Tutors are a must - especially to get the Rivalries in play. I originally had Acidic Soils in here, but have removed them, though they may be readded...

Mageta and the Soltari Guerrillas remove creatures, while the Avenging Angels always return after a Mageta strike. Ivory Gargoyles cost too much to play...

For the record, Rivalry deals 2 damage to the player with the most lands during your upkeep.

Any more suggestions?
Thanks!

S

seveninchcowboy

I would replace the trenching steeds with fault riders because you can still sac lands with them and their benefit is a little better than the steeds'.

K

krichaiushii

After a bit of playtesting, and more thought, I have made the following changes to this deck:

I have replaced 3 Plains and 3 Mountains with 3 Remote Farms and 3 Sandstone Needles, respectively. This is due to the lands removing themselves. In addition, 2 more Plains and 1 Mountain have become 3 Undiscovered Paradise, as in my hand is better than in the graveyard.

And 2 Trenching Steeds have become 2 Fault Riders, IOT be even more offensive.

Thanks for your time.

M

Mikeymike

The first thing I notice is, Where's the Zuran Orb? Also, Balance might be a nice addition in here to even out the lands if they get too far ahead, but its risky to run with the high creature count.

I was thinking Cave-In would be nice, but if you are only running 6 mountains its going to be tough.

Also, with Mageta as a the recurring sweeper and Pegasus tokens and such, Goblin Bombardment and/or Field of Souls would be fun cards in here.

I might also replace a few Avenging Angels for Avatars of Fury, who could very easily be a 6/6 for RR in this deck.

Just some thoughts, once again the deck is unique and looks like a ton of fun to play, Nice!

K

krichaiushii

Reaping the Rewards and Troubled Healers are close enough to Zuran Orb for me. And ZOrb/Balancing nets more enemies than its worth. ;) I know from experience.

The Avenging Angels are there to return after a Wrath of Mageta. Though 4 might be a bit much... Goblin Bombardment is a good idea, though, especially with the Avenging Angels. As is Avatar of Fury.

I foolishly forgot a Sol Ring, though. What about Ankhs of Mishra?

G

galtwish

By playing all these sub-optimal cards, you are just asking for someone to Disenchant Rivalry and run the hell over you. Here's two Rivalry decks I'd would consider:

T2
4 Seal of Fire
4 Shock
4 Raze
4 Goblin Patrol
1 Reckless Abandon
4 Goblin Raider
2 Goblin War Buggy
4 Rhystic Lightning
3 Fault Rider
4 Rivalry
4 Lesser gargadon
4 Rishadan Port
18 Mountian

Casual (Apprentice version for those of us without Duals)
1 Balance
1 Land Tax
4 Tithe
4 Scroll Rack
4 Land's Edge
1 Seismic Assualt
1 Sylvan Library
2 Abundance
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Swords to Ploughshares
2 Jokulhaups
4 Rivalry
1 Zuron Orb
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Feldon's Cane
4 Mox Diamond (or Moxes. Hey, I can dream.)
4 Savanah
4 Plateau
4 Plains
4 Taiga
4 Mountians
2 Forest

Erik

D

Duel

the theory of rivalry/sligh dates back to gizmo, unless I'm highly mistaken. but this isn't that. This is red/white land annhilation. Meaning, throw in artifact mana, or failing that, land taxes, armageddons, and seismic assaults.

the theory behind this is that you hold every land you don't need in your hand, and discard it to seismic assault for damage. The avenging angels and mageta serve as defense, or a possible alternative win method.

Creatures: 20
4 That big red from prophecy that needs you to sac a land to attack or block
4 Avenging Angels
4 Troubled Healer
2 Viashino Heretic
2 Mageta, the Lion

Spells/Artifacts: 23
2 armageddons
2 fire diamond, heart of ramos
2 pearl diamond(?), eye of ramos
4 Rivarly
3 Lodestone Bauble
4 Land Tax
3 Enlightened Tutor
4 Fireblast
2 Glorious Anthem
1 Dwarven Armory
4 Seismic assault
4 Abolish

Lands: 21
12 Plains
11 Mountains

M

Mikeymike

Well, I was thinking about Ankh of Mishra too, however it activates anytime a land comes into play, this came from http://www.crystalkeep.com
Triggers on any land coming into play. This includes playing a land or putting a land into play using a spell or ability. [D'Angelo 97/05/22]
So that the Oaths are going to deal damage to you.

The reason I like the Zuran Orb better than Reaping the rewards, RtR costs a W to use and your playing heavy Red, ZO costs nothing. But it is much easier to stop a ZO than the RtR.

As cool as the artwork is for Exalted Dragon, the Avatar is a better fit in that spot. I hear you on the Avenging Angels

Duel brings up a very good point, with those Lodestone Baubles, Seismic Assault is killer in here. But it works best with the Scroll Rack.

Also, I would put a disenchant of some sort in here.

K

krichaiushii

Though I appreciate galtwish's attempt to make this a viable dueling deck, it's intended for a multiplayer chaos game. Besides, I LIKE playing with suboptimal cards. ;)

Lesser Gargadon's sac land ability is not an option, but a requirement, that is why I opted not to use it.

Using some form of Disenchant is a grave oversight on my part, thanks for pointing it out, Duel and Mikeymike. Though with Viashino Heretics already in the deck, I am tempted to run Soltari Visionaries as my enchantment removal, instead... but we shall see.

If I drop the Reaping the Rewards for a ZOrb, that frees up a few slots for the aforementioned Disenchants. In addition, with a ZOrb in the deck, I'll feel obligated to run a Balance, as well.

The Land's Edge/Seismic Assualts are nice additions, but not what I am trying for. Besides, the last time I tried Land's Edge in a multiplayer game, I died in the course of a turn, due to everyone pitching thier lands. Oath of Lieges will generally only benefit me, but is a good "truce" card, as are the Hired Giants, until the Rivalries come into play. Besides, the Oath puts the land into play, instead of into my hand as with Land Tax.

Replacing the Exalted Dragon with an Avatar of Fury is a good idea, thanks. That lets me put the Angels back up to 4.

Pegasus Stampede is fun to play, though I might cut it to 2. I figure the Glorious Anthems will increase the threat of the Pegasi tokens -- and the rest of the creatures, come to think of it. ;)

Lastly, with 3 Oath of Lieges, I need to redo my land mix, again, dropping the Remote Farms and Sandstone Needles and replacing them with plains and mountains. And/or drop the Oath count to 2.

Thanks, and keep up the commentary.

M

Mikeymike

There is a potential hazard playing this deck, you are allowing your opponents to get ahead of you in lands. That means they are going to cast big stuff, and when you lay down the Rivalry, they will swarm you. I would put more Magetas, or standard old Wraths in here. I'm not sure, just keep it in mind.

G

galtwish

The reason I tried to tighten it up into a deuling or 3 player deck is because Rivalry only affects ONE player, not all players with more lands than you. If you wanted to make it multiplayer, I'd suggest this:

4 Rivalry
1 Furnace of Rath
4 Fire Diamond
3 Marble Diamond
2 Seismic Assualt
4 Disenchant
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Incinerate
1 Cop Red
1 Cop Black
2 Gerrard's Wisdom
4 Repurcussion
2 Crater Hellion
3 Wave of Reckoning
3 Congregate
2 Enlightened Tutor
2 Scroll Rack
2 Crystal Chimes
4 Plateau
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Undiscovered Paradise
7 Mountians
5 Plains

Nobodys creatures stick around for long, and you get to kill the opponents with their own cards (Rivalry, Repercussion). Wrath of God could fill in some of the spots, but that's up to you. Furnace is there for a finisher, but Blood Oath could also be good in this as people hold back creatures or lands.

Erik