Civility and Magic

Killer Joe

Ask yourself these questions:
-Do you walk into your local card shop or play group and make it a point say, "Hi" to everyone you know?
-Do you make it a point to befriend a "new commer" to your play group or local card shop within 10-15 min. of their arrival there?
-Do you actually give away cards (not rares, but key common cards like Incinerate, Rewind and the likes) to newbies?
-Do you correct your opponent on a mistake they've made knowing full-well that it could lead to your loss of the game?
-And finally, do you have the nerve to compliment someone during and/or after game play on how well they did?
If you have answered "Yes" to ALL of these questions, then you are truly a unique Magic player.
Is it me, or do magic players, in general, posses the civility of a horse's a$$!? (whoa, pipe down John Finkle, I didn't say ALL .\\agic players).
There are guys that I've played with for over a year and they STILL, don't know or want to know Jack-squat about me or anyone else that isn't on the pro-tour. Now c'mon, everyone say, "awwwwwwww, what a pity for Yellowjacket". No, really, it is a pity, but not for me, for the under-people skilled- morons who continue to be boarish and snobish to begining to mid-level players.
I'm not asking for a utopian society where everyone blows sunshine up everyones a$$ (that's Amway's job). And Im not asking for theraputic sessions with my opponent so I can 'feel-good' about myself after I get dusted by the latest 1st turn combo, either.
I think we all could brush up on the people-skills and start doing a few simple tasks like: Shaking hands with your opponent after a tournament match or how about introducing yourself to your opponent (if you don't know them already) and I mean the whole nine-yards; look at them while shaking their hand and not with a limp wrist, cold as ice hand either.
How about it, what do you think?

M

Mikeymike

The last organized tourney I went to was the Prophecy PR in NY and I was hoping it would be very laid back, a good place to meet fellow magic players. For the most part I was pleased. I usually had to break the ice which is fine with me, but most of the people I played against, traded with, and BSed with warmed up pretty quickly.

However, there were the few who didn't seem to understand what my outstretched hand meant, and when I said "Hi my name is Mike" I was met with either a blank, intimidated stare or the "I'm too cool to waste my time learning your birth name" look. What A-holes some of these people are.

NOTE--IF YOU PLAY MAGIC THE GATHERING, YOU ARE NOT 'TOO COOL' FOR ANYONE, NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE.

But I think to myself, is this phenomenon a by-product of Magic, or is it human nature? Unfortunately, I think there are the few who are jerks in general, and they set a bad example for those who admire their play to follow. I have faith in the majority, and I definitely agree with Yellowjacket that if we all try a little harder at the next tourney, you'll probably end up having a lot more fun.

G

Gamalon

I agree completly! Have you ever lost to a complete prick, and then dropped the next match after that too? It can ruin the whole tourney for you, and you'll never be able to get back into your metagame.

Now, have you ever lost to someone with a pleasent personality? It's a completely different experience.

Also, you have to ask yourself "How long can I help this person," by letting them take back dumb moves. I've done this countless times to try to help him, but none of it sticks. I'm going to have to try and let him learn from his mistakes... not pay upkeeps and such, and making him lose the card. Maybe that way it'll sink inm cause it hasn't worked the other way for 8 months... he still forgets the upkeep for the masticore.

A

Almindhra

Well, I'll admit I'm not the most cordial Magic player...I get nervous at tournaments...I mean, when I go to a match I say hi...I know a lot more now then I ever have about the whole tournament scene and such, and I don't really like it...There are some real pricks...And I get intimidated...I really do just want to go there for fun...And I like the game...

But I know they're trying to get me to spaz out, and yes, I do...but I do know more now, about how things work...And the mental bs that goes on...I guess I was kind of clueless because I just went there for fun...And a lot of them don't...So I don't mingle, don't really chat...I just watch Gamalon talk to people about cards and combos...Which I really know nothing about...And thats probably why I've kind of stopped playing...but thats another story...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree witcha, Yellowjacket! Although I also have to agree with Gamalon that there's probably a point in which it's evident that they're not bothering to learn and relying on you to keep them within the rules. So I'd probably say it's your call to help them out with the optional stuff ("if you block with this instead of this") a couple of times but for the mandatory stuff (upkeep) remind them once or twice (or your own limit).

D

Duel

-Do you walk into your local card shop or play group and make it a point say, "Hi" to everyone you know?

Yes

-Do you make it a point to befriend a "new commer" to your play group or local card shop within 10-15 min. of their arrival there?

Yes

-Do you actually give away cards (not rares, but key common cards like Incinerate, Rewind and the likes) to newbies?

Yes

-Do you correct your opponent on a mistake they've made knowing full-well that it could lead to your loss of the game?

Depends. Is it my brother? If it is, no. Otherwise, yes.

-And finally, do you have the nerve to compliment someone during and/or after game play on how well they did?

Only if they actually did well. I don't do flattery.

I treat magic with a heinlein-like respect. It deserves it.

C

Cateran Overlord

I know too well what you speak of Yellowjacket. I answered Yes to all of those, and was not surprised that you think I'm a unique Magic player. I know far too many players who are asstastic. They mock new players, refuse to let anyone take back ANYTHING. Me, hell I'll even let you mulligan and draw 7 if it's not a tournament. Forget the upkeep on your Masticore, that's fine, go back and pay it. If you choose to do so, then you may forget it in a tournament. If you don't then good for you, but don't forget to allow everyone else you play against the option to go back. A little civility can go a long way.

A

Apollo

Yes.

Yes.

If I have extras, I will. But usually I just have four of a given card because I buy singles.

I will tell them after the game. I used to let my brother go back all the time, only to have him get all mad when his opponent wouldn't in a tournament. If you let it go at home, they'll screw it up when it counts. My friends and I attend some small tournaments and we are always strict when playing casually because we know the people at the tournament are going to be the same way.

If they did well, I'm happy to let them know it.

Apollo

G

Gizmo

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, unless a place in the Top-8 is at stake. If my opponent is a blatant scrub then I can let him take back half his mistakes and still win comfortably. I won`t tell him how to play, but if he didn`t know what one of cards did then I`ll let him take it back.
Yes, it`s common decency.

Am I a unique player?
No, I`m just not a total wanker with no social skills, unlike around 50% of magic players who step up to tournaments and find themselves outclassed. Good players generally always behave themselves, but it takes a bit more class to lose and be gracious about it - unfortunately a lot of players just don`t have that quality.

A

arhar

Originally posted by Mikeymike
The last organized tourney I went to was the Prophecy PR in NY and I was hoping it would be very laid back, a good place to meet fellow magic players. For the most part I was pleased. I usually had to break the ice which is fine with me, but most of the people I played against, traded with, and BSed with warmed up pretty quickly.
I probably met you there dude :) Although I've met so many people I don't remember the details. As for the topic, fortunately, at my local store everyone is really friendly, and people that think they are "cool" are readily made fun of. But not nice individuals exist everywhere, Magic included.

M

MrXarvox

Now, I'm normally quite antisocial in public. But When at tourney, I figure, these are magic players.
They are of my kind. I talk to them, especially newbies, and give them advice on why they should not trade for that reprint erhnam djinn even though their magazine says it's a good card. I talk about my decks, and why netdecks are bad, and why I lose because R&D says netdecks are good.
If there's one thing I can't stand it's a jerk. Why, if I weren't 5' 2", 110 pounds, and with an affinity for the delicate, I'd show some of those morons what's coming to them...

Z

Zadok001

Yes, assuming I can remember their names. Otherwise, you get a "Hey, you!" :) And I won't usually greet the people I know only from sitting across the table in tourneys - I'll see them soon enough, and I don't know them well until I've played multiplayer with 'em!

Assuming they don't attack me, my cards, or my personality, yes. I have known people to 'join' our group with insults and universal swearing - those people, I will NOT befriend.

Absolutely, assuming I can afford to lose 'em. I have about 20 Rewinds, but exactly 4 Seal of Fires. I'll hold the Seals, the Rewinds are fair game, assuming I have them on me! Oh, and I won't give away Vine Trellises - I collect those. :)

Yes. I allowed one guy to pull back a 'Quake for 2 that he wanted to kill my Blazing Specter with. I let him pull it back because I've been known to make similar errors. It's not cool to lose to something like that. (The Specter had already owned him, though - he was down about 4 cards and 8 life from the thing!)

Depends on what they did. Good play gets complements, bad play does not. Every type of play gets a challenge from the Universal Net Deck, though! :)

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by Gamalon
Also, you have to ask yourself "How long can I help this person," by letting them take back dumb moves. I've done this countless times to try to help him, but none of it sticks. I'm going to have to try and let him learn from his mistakes... not pay upkeeps and such, and making him lose the card. Maybe that way it'll sink inm cause it hasn't worked the other way for 8 months... he still forgets the upkeep for the masticore.
I miss this guy...If I agree that blue is the best colour, will he come back???...Waaaaaaaaaaaa....

F

FoundationOfRancor

Alas, I miss him too.

I also miss doe.

*Glares at doe*

A

Almindhra

Thats who was missing!...FoR!!...I miss you bud!...I hardly go on AIM anymore...I use ICQ for RP reasons...And Luke hasn't been on AOL in a long time...How are you??

Z

Zero

Ive been talking to FoR on aim lately, he is a cool mofo. Do you have a screen name "Almindhra" ?

D

DÛke

...(or sister)...

YellowJacket, this is NOT the kind of arugments that pissed me off. Not really. You know, how when you were at MTGnews, you used to write those articles of yours? No...no...not THOSE, but THESE...the ones that have, um..."WARNING: This is a RANT!", at the top! :)

Remember those? For some reason, THOSE, just like burned a whole in my mind...I have no idea why, but I'm still investigating!

You had two (take or give few) of those "WARNING" articles. I read them, you burned a whole in my brain, and from there on, I just kept, I guess, IMAGENING that ALL you do is WARN us how you RANT! I lost my mind, I lost my sanity (and I'm still looking for that by the way), and I lost my calmness...so, I got a flame througher out, and decided to toast you, but I was wrong. I'm sorry.

THIS article of yours is quite nice, actually. Well, at least it doesn't say "WARNING: A RANT!" at the top! :)

Now, to answer your original ON topic questions:
I do not go to tournies, and for some reason, my Magic interest has been fading away quite fast in the past few weeks. I don't know if it is me who doesn't have time, or the game that's making me loose interest. Maybe it's Zero...<looks at Zero for a while> nah...She's too cute to do such harm to me...Yet again...Nah..it's not Zero...is it? Nah...<looks at Zero some more>