On Cog and Zog

Killer Joe

Hey, does anyone remember this Jamie Wakefield article? If so, can you find a link to it? I think it originally appeared on The Dojo.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember it; however, since the Dojo died, you probably have to go into the web archive page. I posted the link a couple of years here - I'll see if I can dig it up.

A

Apollo

That was a really interesting article, though I seem to remember I didn't entirely agree with it at the time. Best of luck finding it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Taking it at face value, lots of people had trouble agreeing or identifying with it... I mean, it took the stereotype of "jock" and "gamer" and separated them. People replied saying "well, I'm a mixture of Cog and Zog so this doesn't really apply", etc. which really wasn't the point of the article at all :)

N

Notepad

Interesting article, but the load time reminded me of one reason I hated the Psylum Dojo...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's more because of the web.archive engine it's on, rather than the Dojo pages themselves... since it archives ALL web pages from a particular date in time (which can number millions), trying to find a certain one and load it up takes time...

N

Notepad

No, it was always that bad. And the sad thing is, it chugged the machine when I am using my college library computer with broadband...*sigh*

All those images and craploads of html that didn't really need to be there, just to get the elitist feel in. I am glad that Dojo died, but wish the Kusumoto one was still around...

R

Rooser

Ugh. That article isn't very good. I find it strangley contradictory that somebody writing about the valors of being an intellectual is discussing things in as base terms as "disclaimer" and "stereotype" when he could use "apologia" and "social construct" to much more convincing and philosohpical effect. And I'm not really just harping on those two words. The things feels intellegent-but-uneducated to me, and that's a dangerous combination.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
SeFRo: It must be the computers you're using, 'cause I never had a problem with the Dojo loading, Kusumoto or Psylum... :)

Rooser: I disagree; using terms like that make it confusing, too "technical" (as in not plain-speak), and definitely is not in Jamie's character. I found it fine the way it is :)