MBC for M-P Format

Killer Joe

I almost NEVER play mono-Black. There's just something wrong about it. But recently my play group has "Metagamed" specifically against several of my casual decks (U/B Steel-Go, U/W Counterwrathaganda and my RGW Powerstone-Wish deck).

Bastards!

So this week I want to surprise them and play a deck they wouldn't expect me to play......Mono-Black-Control. Okay, so they WOULD expect me to play a control deck, just not mono-black. I haven't done any research yet like looking up recent MBC decks because I think most of them have creatures, I want a creatureless deck. Well, almost creatureless. Here's what I got so far:

"Must See" MBC.dec
15 Swamps
1 Urza's Mine
1 Urza's Power Plant
1 Urza's Tower
3 Peat Bog

4 Chimeric Idol
2 Well of Discovery
2 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Mirari
1 Thran Foundry
1 Necropotence
4 Corrupt
2 Soul Burn (I don't have any Drain Lifes)
4 Dark Ritual
4 Rancid Earth
4 Despoil
2 Befoul
4 Chainer's Edict
4 Innocent Blood

Since I have no Instant Spells, I don't mind tapping out or activating the Idols, especially when I have Well of Discovery out (Draw a card at the end of your turn if you have no untapped lands). When 'Gold-Fishing' this deck the last two days, I don't seem to have a mana problem. A trun 1 Dark Ritual to play Rancid Earth or Chimeric Idol is really cool (I wasn't really all that upset when Dark Ritual was banned in Extended :rolleyes: ) but I really like it now.

The cheap removal spells could help me stay alive in the early game if I'm being the target, which I usually am. The land destruction is going piss-off two of my friends so I thought they would be good (Sinkhole would be great! I'll try to get some of those).

I'm trying to go for the Mirari/Corrupt combo to try and take out two of my opponents at the same time. The Necropotence is only for the late game when I've Corrupted several times and I need a game winner like another Corrupt. The Thran Foundry is a mid-game reset for my library. With it being thined out of land, my draws get better.

I don't want creatures in the deck, if I'm making myself play mono-black then it's gotta be control-ish.

I have two Decree of Pain's in another deck, maybe I should put them in here?

Any other idea's? LMK. I really want to surprise them, I'm unaffectionately called "The Stall-Monger" in my play groups and I want that title to remain but without the help of counter magic (the best concept in .\\agic :p).

~Mark

G

Gerode

I'd replace the Urza's lands with Cabal Coffers, since the Urza's lands aren't worth it with only one of each.

You can probably do better than Despoil. You might be able to piss off your friends just as well with some good discard spells.

Killer Joe

Of course! No wonder I don't play black, I don't know enough about it's cards.

Better than Despoil, hmmmmm. Do you mean to get rid of my land destruction sprlls altoghether or just that one. With Mirari it's pretty cool, though. I did have 3 Unnearves (Each opponent discards two cards). Now THAT, and Mirari would be funny.

I'll be in the trade post forum checking out if anyone has any cabal coffers.

Thanks, Mark

T

TutorsareCasualtoo

I play a mono-black creatureless deck in Multiplayer.
It basically kills everybody's creatures and then kills all my oponents with burn. It can piss the Tarnation out of anybody using a creature based strategy

If you are interested here is the deck list:
Land
1 X Boseiju Who Shelters All
3 X Cabal Coffers (Mine are Ninja)
20 X Swamps

Excelleration
4 X Dark Ritual

Tutors
1 X Demonic Tutor
1 X Night's Dealings
2 X Diabolic Tutor

Card Drawing
1 X Necropotence
1 X Yawgmoth's Bargain
2 X Night's Wispers

Creature Control
2 X Diabolic Edict
2 X Innocent Blood
2 X Mutilate
1 X Chainer's Edict
1 X Decree of Pain
1 X Tained Aether

Burn
4 X Corrupt
3 X Consume Spirit
4 X Siphon Soul

Alternate Win Conditions
2 X Genju of the Fens

Other
1 X Mirari
1 X Soldevi Digger

The Combo is Night's Dealings/Soldevi Digger/Siphon Soul or Corrupt. (The Consume Spirit require too much mana)

12 Mana will Cast, Dig, and Tutor for Corrupt every Turn
9 Mana will do the same with the Syphon Soul

It's a fun deck to play. The Tainted Aether can draw the attention of the table Quite quickly.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Necropotence! :D

Anyway, I'm not sure as to the pace of your multiplayer games, but this doesn't seem like it's tuned properly for multiplayer. Only two Disks? A few one-shote LD spells? Soulburn? Seriously, I thought that Drain Life was a common. The one mana can make quite a difference.

It's cool that you're using Corrupt. I've been a fan of Corrupt since it first came out...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
If you really want to beat the crap out of them, play pox. That's probably the most efficient discard spell. If you play heavy discard, you can be assured to draw attention. Besides that you still need to cope with the threats that come through. The one-ofs like chainer's edict and the sinkhole you're talking about aren't that good in multiplayer. The innocent blood is. Seal of doom is probably better than edict since it warns people to stay clear of you.

Pure black evil is contamination with breeding pit or nether spirit. That way you can put them in a lock.

Instead of chimeric idol I would play the swampcycling twisted abomination. It gets you more land and can be a finisher in the late game.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The problem with Pox is that it needs the rest of the deck to be built around it. I like Pox decks, but if Killer Joe wants to build one, he can forget about this deck except for the Swamps and a few other cards...

Also, a good Pox deck uses Sinkholes, and they're hard to come by.

T

TutorsareCasualtoo

I would run the seal, but I don't own any. This deck gets hard targeted alot because of the Tained Aether.

J

jorael

For multiplayer I can recommend Wall of Souls. 0/4 if they attack you, they'll lose life. Very effective defense. I'd drop the land destruction and add more mass sacrifice cards (Innocent Blood, Abyssal Gatekeeper, Barter With Blood, or really nasty Gravepact). Siphon Mind is good card drawing, and Siphon Soul is more than cute in MP.

Hecatomb + Sengir Autocrat is a cool combo for a MBC deck. If you rather use Consume Spirit and the like, I can recommend Cabal Coffers. Cards like corrupt work better with more swamps, so I usually add Wayfarer's Bauble to accelerate my mana.

I don't have any Necropotences, but I have good experiences with cards like Night's Whisper, Graveborn Muse, Skeletal Scrying and Promise of Power. A good MBC should be able to reach 9 mana often enough, so that last card should be entwinable (?!).

A wacky MBC variant I play sometimes is centered around Spellweaver Helix. I posted that deck already in a threads about the Helix, but here it is again :)

Corrupting Justice / Blood Brush
24 swamp

4 Wayfarer's Bauble
4 Spellweaver Helix

4 Brush with Dead
4 Evincar's Justice
4 Barter with Blood
4 Corrupt

4 Wall of Souls
4 Undead Gladiator
4 Grid Monitor
Just play the sorceries normally and don't use buyback. Then later in the game, play the Helix and imprint a buyback sorcery together with Barter with Blood or Corrupt. Then when play Brush with Dead or Evincar's Justice with buyback again and again and Corrupt your opponents to death (or keep them saccing their creatures).

I find the best combinations to imprint Brush with Death + Barter with Blood & Corrupt + Evincar's Justice. Those combinations have both lifegain and board control packed together.

These sorceries work very good. I've used other creatures than these. Twisted
Abomination is nice too, this deck wants swamps. Bane of the Living is good too, it's a budget Mutilate. You could use whatever you fancy.

J

jackal_pup

How about saving yourself a colorless mana by using a Feldon's Cane instead of the Thran Foundry?
Where's the Diabolic Edicts? and Duresses? Even good old Terror's would be more effective than Chainer's Edicts...

J

jorael

Yeah, most of the time it would. In multiplayer I prefer Barter With Blood. A MBC deck would most often lose only 0-1 creatures while the barter clears the board. If a deck has enough mana development, then Chainer's Edict may become interesting. Still expensive, but it can give you card advantage.

A very cool new card in Saviors for MBC is Ivory crane Netsuke. It's an artifact for 2 mana that gives you 4 life at the beginning of your upkeep if you have 7 or more cards. Together with cards like Promise of Power, Night's Whisper, Phyrexian Arena, etc. you can fill your hand and get the lost life back! I'm certainly going to try this one out :cool: