What do you do when your in a slump?

R

Reverend Love

Two weeks 3 wins...about 17 losses...I nearly ripped my Utopia Tree and BoP during one game. I have to say this is probably the worst it's ever been. Got a deck which sole purpose is annihilating creature type themed decks (think Extinction/Tsabo's Decree/Plague Wind) with 4 Havoc demons for kicks.....and during the game I draw 11 land 1 dark ritual 2 Festering Goblins, 1 Oversold Cemetery, 1 Drain Life....nothing else... I was dueling a sliver deck, goblin deck, and Elf Deck...I mean COME ON!

I'm thinking about just taking a break from magic..it's not even fun to play anymore...what do you guys do when (if?) in slump?

O

orgg

The deck I've been playing has a 55-0 record.

Not in my favor.

Ask Istanbul. He's responsible for eight of those losses, and the gaining of two of the three cornerstones in the deck.

I've been having fun with it, though.

N

Nightstalkers

Sit back, relax, and pull out the manga!

If you centralize on one TCG for too long, this is what happens. I suggest getting into something else for just this purpose; a manga every once in a while is better than stopping for years. Its better than slumming off your collection to the vultures at Ebay.

Now if only I can stop reading the neat storyline of Shaman King...

W

whuppinboy

heh, i share your pain. since i only play Magic: Online, i've had my fair share of mana screw and creature screw. i've been mana screwed on a deck that consists of 35 land! 3 games in a row! all i can do is laugh about it, break out my LD deck and try and have some fun. but when i've just totally gotten sick of playing and getting beat down, i just turn to good old Diablo and go for some mindless hack and slash.

M

Mikeymike

First thing I'd say is to check out your land count - are you running 40% mana sources and still getting screwed? Just rotten luck. Are youn running 45%+ mana sources and getting continous flooded? Chances are you're running land heavy and need to trim back.

It sucks, I know. We've all been there where by turn 7 you have 7 lands in play and 2 cards cast...the schit just happens sometimes.

If I'm in a slump and I'm in a competitive environ, I'll personally pull out and play 1v1's until I get the chaff out of my system. Sounds stupid considering it is completely luck based, but you know as well as I do that sometimes in this crazy game of Magic superstition makes more sense than logic does.

On a side note - if you're playing type 1, you'd probably be better off running Oath of Ghouls than Cemetaries. It depends on the deck, but it is easier to get the Ghouls to work than OG.

T

train

Try posting the deck list...

And sometimes taking a break from Magic is a good thing... sometimes not...

i'd say try a different deck...;)

W

whuppinboy

one deck i use is about 40% mana and every single time i play it i either get mana or creature screwed. i've never had a single game where it's been even. i'm trying to prove single handedly that Magic: Online is flawed with their shuffler :p

N

Nightstalkers

its a computerized probability calculator... thusly, its constantly under revisement. :rolleyes: Hackers worst enemy, a card game and a shuffling code.

I

Istanbul

Play through it. It's the only thing you CAN do.

Oh, and the Magic Online shuffler isn't flawed. It's random - COMPLETELY random. RL shuffling is not.

N

Nightstalkers

And don't act like some and sit for hours just to have your opponent drop out and lose... childish really

R

Reverend Love

I don't play online, no biased decision it's just everyone I play with including myself have large non-virtual collections. The idea is appealing. However with so many people to play with where I'm at it's sorta pointless.

Making stupid play decisions, not paying attention to the board...too many things to count....most of which fall squarely on my shoulders.

After playing Magic for awhile I understand that sometimes there's just days where nothing goes your way and your opponent is handed awesome draws...that happens..it's a part (albeit an ugly part) of Magic. However when it CONTINUALLY stretches on then I think it's time to take a vacation and come back when the game is fun to play again.

I appreciate all your suggestions though..and Nightstalkers no I won't be selling my collection....I'm not that far yet ;) and I've already made that mistake once.

N

Nightstalkers

sell your collection, throw it into a leaky garage, whats the diff?

its just fine to sit back and relax from magic sometimes. I personally, will take my anger and agression out on the computer games I love so much... or become a self centered hermit :rolleyes: doesnt sound too good to me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't really play enough right now to be in a slump, but I usually have several decks and switch off between them after 2-3 games (if we get that far in an evening) to keep it fresh.