La Bastille en Seville

Killer Joe

I like control decks and I like to play multi-player magic. I've made reference to this deck before and am currently looking for ways to improve on it for multi-player games.
In general, I like to lock-down my opponents and make them suffer (like the dogs they are), and this deck has the potential to do that. Side-note:I have been left out of several nights of multi-player gatherings due to this version of the deck. I just can't help it, I love playing it. Here it is:
"La Bastille en Seville" by (I can't remember and I cannot for the life of me remember who suggested this type of deck to me.)
Creatures (0)
Spells (40)
4x Counterspell
2x Dissipate
1x Intuition
3x Gaea's Blessing
3x Gerrard's Wisdom
2x Marble Diamond
3x Mind Stone
3x Winter Orb
2x Disenchant
4x Impulse
4x Propaganda
3x Armageddon
3x Wrath of God
1x Moss Diamond
2x Sky Diamond
Land (20)
4x Adarkar Wastes
5x Island
4x Quicksand
2x Brushland
2x Plains
3x Undiscovered Paradise

I don't know where to begin, since I want to convert it to multi-player I thought about using spells with "buyback" like Whispers, Capsize, Mind Games and I really like the new mana Artifacts like Horn of Ramos, Eye of Ramos, Ass of Ramos (don't ask what color THAT produces). I'm going to replace the pain lands with the dual land cousin (no sweat), I might replace Wrath of God with that new Wrath of God spellshaper dude (just so I can have a way of killing someone but I have to tell you, I just love locking down a game and making everyone say, "Uncle".)
Any ideas?
Please don't let this be a thread killer.

Z

Zadok001

Oh, man. My play group absolutely despises me for this kind of deck... It's one of my favorites, but I took it apart due to massive complaints from the others (and 'cause we only get so much time to play these games, and this deck runs LONG).

If there's one thing I learned, it's that Winter Orb + Buyback = BAD. You don't get to play the spell nearly enough to make the buyback worth it, and no, the Diamonds and parts of Ramos didn't really help. On the other hand, card drawing was still very important. I ended up running two-three Scrying Glass, which fit the theme of the deck nicely and cost much less mana to use than a Whispers.

Likewise, Capsize just didn't go well. I could Capsize Winter Orb, but I was playing Icys, so I rarely needed to. (Btw, Icys are _really_ good in this type of deck, since it can create a soft lock with Winter Orb.) Any other target for Capsize seemed like a waste of mana, since it was probably already a non-threat with all the other defense running rampant through the deck. :)

I'm curious, why do you have that Intuition in there? I can see how it would serve you by getting almost any spell in the deck (lotsa 3x, neh?), does that work very well? I've never tried it, so of course I wouldn't know, but it just seems like a funky addition to the deck. Maybe it's just me...

"Damnit, Zadok! I can't move!"

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Since your playing white, you might as well add some defensive enchantments.
Ivory Mask is nice.
Also, fast red burn can also be a problem.
Warmth and Absolute Grace are decent solutions.
Card drawing will also help.
Add Archivist. Also if the opponent is playing green, add Insight.
While your at it, replace some of the expensive counterspells with Arcane Denial.
Hope that helps. :)

[Edited by Multani on June 4th, 2000 at 02:18 PM]

D

Duel

I'll have you know I didn't complain when that deck ran overtime. I came in second that game. Usually I'm first out (unless Nigel's playing).
Archivist, Urza's blueprints work well for drawing engines. Though usually Urza's can be expensive. Use some of the more advanced mana engines, like thran dynamo and grim monolith. Also, I'd like to know how you win? If you win by decking, (gaea's blessing) as I think you must, howling mine works well. Since they'll draw their deck eventually anyways. Plus it'll get you what you need, and let you discard blessing.

Killer Joe

I brought this one up because I'm wondering if any of the new stuff could help it.
IMHO, nothing new can be added, any comments?
BTW, this is my ultimate favorite deck, I can't kill anybody with it, and that's fine by me.

R

rkoelsch

thwarts or gush especially if you replace the wastes with tundras. They help get around the Orb.

T

Thrash Golem

add 4 manabarbs and 4 flowstone crushers cuz finkle used htem in his tinkler deck that won the miss universe pagent

also 100 ports are good for mana instead of islands and plains and adarkar wastes. also add 15 masticores and 30 skizziks and 20 morphling. maybe only 19 morphlings.

M

Mikeymike

Breathstealer's Crypt would be very nice in here.

Denying Wind (hehe) would be quite the smack in the face too, but it doesn't work very well with the Orb.

FYI--I would definitely whine and complain if someone in my group pulled this deck out. You have this deck, the Tradewind Survival deck, I'm seeing an ugly pattern ;)

Killer Joe

I just guess (although I don't want to admit it) I have a sick streak in me. I'd rather have my opponents 'Conceed' then kill them.

I'll be back, I'm going to see a therapist :)