The Mana-less deck!

J

Jigglypuff

You heard correctly. No mana-producing cards are in this deck. No lands. No artifact mana. No nothing.

4 Cromat
4 Sliver Queen
4 Last Stand
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Vine Dryad
4 Bounty of the Hunt
4 Cave-In
4 Contagion
4 Force of Will
4 Misdirection
4 Urza's Bauble

Bounty of the Hunt allows your creatures to deal damage when they attack. Cave-In doubles as player damage and creature removal. Contagion also helps against troublesome creatures. Misdirection and Force of Will give you some countermagic. Cromat, the Queens, and Last Stand give you some cards that you can pitch to cast your spells.

(- Steve -)

W

w3rd_daWg

and your expecting to play the cromat and sliver queen how?? i dun like the idea of..not having mana... that just duznt werk good(not much selection)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
No, the five color cards are in there to pay the ACC of any card he wants to cast. He never has any intention of playing any of those cards.

Ransac, cpa trash man

J

Jigglypuff

Ransac's right. Those cards act as "mana" to let me play my pitch spells. Although I did win a game when my opponent played a Tempting Wurm and I put the Queen and Cromat into play.

(- Steve -)

M

Mikeymike

Its freaking beautiful, absolutely positively wonderful idea.

It will be very difficult to deal lethatl damage though. 4 castings of both Bounty of the Hunt and Cave-In that is exactly 20 maximum extra points of damage to add to those Vine Dryad's.

Maybe Invigorate as well?

Maze of Ith and/or Shield Sphere could help as well in place of the Walker's or Kobold's. Granted neither can attack, but with BotH you only need 1 creature to get through anyway.

J

Jigglypuff

Thanks, Mikey. I knew you'd get a kick out of this deck.

I considered using Invigorate but you need to control a forest to use the ACC. That was the biggest obstacle to this deck: having to control or discard certain basic lands to use the best ACC cards such as the Legates and Dark Triumph (would have been awesome in the deck). If the Kobolds had been black I would have included Delraich.

Also, I don't mean to impose on you MM but can you check out the Future Sight and the Words of War decks that I posted here a couple of days ago? Thanks.

(- Steve -)

M

Mikeymike

Ah damn, I forgot about the forest stipulation. That definitely puts a damper on things.

Also, look at Pyrokenisis. Most of the time it will be twice as efficient as Contagion, but they've both got their pluses and minuses. Your Kobold's are red though, so they can be pitched to the Pyro as well.

Once again, awesome deck.

T

train

Scars of the veteran would be cool... But Pyrokinesis is a must...

And I'm willing to bet a Tempting Wurm is not played again in the match you mentioned...;)

Got Coat?!!... and a handful of Tempting Wurms?!!!...:D

J

Jigglypuff

I went with Contagion over Pyrokinesis because I figured that it would be more important to give -2/-1 counters instead of damage. Besides, I like the cute kitty on Contagion better than the funky swirl on Pyrokinesis.

(- Steve -)

T

train

Why not run both, then you could have funky swirling kittens... Also, without looking it up, does Scars of the veteran give permanent counters???

If so your creatures could become mad blockers too!!!

M

Mikeymike

Yeah, but they are 0/1 counters. Steve needs something that actually helps him kill the opponent.

J

Jigglypuff

That's a great idea, TICM! I might run that maindeck, since there is no sideboard. I just don't know what to take out, though. I'm leaning towards the Bauble but that's my only source of card-drawing.

(- Steve -)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Spinning Darkness is too unreliable right?

Other than that there isn't too much I can suggest - except that specific Dragon legends might be good if you need more "mana."
Probably Nicol Bolas, Crosis, Vaevictis Asmadi and/or Darigaaz would be best.

T

train

Nicol Bolas would be awesome if someone dropped a tempting wurm...:eek:

J

Jigglypuff

I considered Spinning Darkness, but it's hard to get three black cards into the graveyard consistently since the only black cards that end up in the graveyard are the Contagions. And I felt that I had enough creature control in the Cave-Ins and the Contagions.

(- Steve -)

O

osmwt

For one reason or another, this is my first visit to the CPA forums in a few months. After a couple of hours reading strategy articles and crunching trading lists, I decided to have a look-see what's up at CPA. What's the first thing I read? This wonderfully off-beat thread! The words ..."only at the CPA," come to mind. Reminded me why I play and love this game. Great concept Jigly, I think I'll spring it on my playgroup. Probably see you guys tomorrow!