Guess what I saw today?

S

Svenmonkey

I watched a kid have a seizure today. We were at my school's recently created Gaming Club, and I was in the video game room watching some of my friends play Halo and Dance Dance Revolution (What a goofy game) when everybody started milling around and some kids ran out of the room. I looked over, and there was a kid shaking, with his head lolled to the back, and his eyes were half-open and red. A few seconds later, he started foaming at the mouth and sliding down in his chair/desk thing until he started choking with his neck up against the desk part. Everybody knew he was having a siezure, but nobody knew what to do.

Apparently, the kid was playing Super Smash Bros. on a GameCube and was complaining about how he couldn't see where his character was, or what was happening. Everybody thought he was just complaining to make up for his losses (he was the victor last week but was slipping that day), but then he started twitching...

It was actually kind of funny, because the dumb senior playing against the kid was still playing, and telling the kid to stop screwing around, even after the paramedics were called, and when the paramedics arrived, they were all smiling and making bad jokes. And then there was, of course, my natural tendency to smile and laugh when bad stuff's happening (my friends were all puzzled).

Hopefully the club won't be cancelled because of that.

T

train

There'll be a big debate about cancelling it I assure you.... maybe not amongst students, but staff and admin. at least...

S

Svenmonkey

I'm pretty sure the kid's alright, for I'm pretty sure he was conscious when he was taken outside on the stretcher. Apparently siezures aren't that big a deal, because epileptics have siezures frequently and stuff. I just learned that one of my friends had a siezure 2 years ago at an arcade and was fine afterwards. He didn't even know what was going on, which is a good thing.

Random siezures from video games seem to be quite common and not very serious.

M

MrXarvox

video games are EVIL!!!! they cause siezures becuase SATAN is in them!

D

Darsh

Mmm...satan....so I'm financing hell's armies? Well I better get some kind of reward when I get down there.

S

Svenmonkey

If "Satan" is in everything fun, why wouldn't people prefer to go to hell over heaven? The Christian image of heaven is, quite simply, boring as hell (God and love and creepy flying babies. Scary, really). Oh, wait, hell wouldn't be boring, now, would it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
. Apparently siezures aren't that big a deal, because epileptics have siezures frequently and stuff.
I would say it would depend where and with whom the person is having the seizures. Obviously if you have one while driving, that's bad (and it's happened). And presumably it had to be some deal if the paramedics were called (unless they didn't do anything once they got there).

Satan must have good PR; he probably puts out that things are going great "down there" but once you get there, look out... :)

T

train

"Satan is "in" everything fun".... but that doesn't mean he'll shae his X-box when you get to hell... he probably ties eveyrone up along the wall where they can see the screen and plays X-box all day to torture them...:p ;)

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Satan ain't in everything fun.

The git just wants to warp and desecrate the concept of what 'fun' is. His idea is selfish, short-term, dangerous 'pleasure' at the expense of the truth and of everyone else. He also likes to make people stupid, and compound their stupidity by making them pay for it (Which is paying for something nobody would buy and nobody could sell.) Drunk Driving and unprotected/premarital sex springs to mind.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Bill Gates was Satan. I mean, here, look:

Originally posted by Shiro, Time Devourer
The git just wants to warp and desecrate the concept of what 'fun' is. His idea is selfish, short-term, dangerous 'pleasure' at the expense of the truth and of everyone else. He also likes to make people stupid, and compound their stupidity by making them pay for it...
That sounds like Him, doesn't it? :p

Ferret

Staff member
I don't believe in this Satan character...who is he supposed to be, again?

-Ferret

"...SATAN RB3 - Creature - Demon Legend 5/5 T: burn all Magic Cards in the room. Game ends in a draw..."

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

The Biblical deceiver of mankind, the enemy of all that is good.

S

Svenmonkey

I'd say that Satan is the biggest scapegoat ever thought up.

"You killed your brother!!"
"The devil made me do it."
"Well then you just have to repent and be saved, then."

At least nobody believes that Satan makes anyone do things anymore, or our justice system would be hilarious. And I won't even start on the Biblical concept of scapegoating. Yeah, kill an animal because you've been bad. Great friggin' idea.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think indirectly people believe Satan makes them do things, in that when you try to use that as a defense for a crime, you pretty much get a psychological exam to determine whether you're sane or not. And you could be found insane, but that's probably due to what the test found, not that you said Satan told you to do it. That just started the process.

Or you could be found sane and do the time, like the Son of Sam (who's back in the news now thanks to the sniper shootings in my state).

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

That kind of excuse-mongering isn't justified. Biblically, the guy doesn't just have to repent (Turn away from the sin completely) and be saved, but he has to account for his crime as normal. To use the bible to dodge gross crimes like murder is as unsupportable and as un-Biblical as they come.

http://www.lifesteps.org/exec/biblestudies/lesson/2/9

http://www.fbccr.org/The Devil Made me do it.htm

These links will drop some well-needed science on what God's word says about the killer who said, "The devil made me do it" in your example.

Plus, I'll set you up with this verse:

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

-James 4:1-6

See, The Bible agrees more with the inanity of "the devil made me do it" than you think it does.

N

nodnarb24

This sure went off topic, from a kid having a seizure to murder and satan. Interesting...

Ferret

Staff member
If there is a Satan guy, I bet he would really be hating life...

"Wait, I had NOTHING to do w/ that!"
"Why am I always associated w/ that guy? I'm here to punish the wicked - not ENDORSE them!"
"Oh great, the Enquirer has my picture appearing on yet another firball..."

-Ferret

"...of course, it could be worse - imagine all the problems that God person has to deal with..."

J

Jigglypuff

Yeah, I have to deal with a lot of problems. Watching over Heaven is getting more and more time-consuming activity and I just don't have the time to watch over the Earth as I used to. And all those people interpreting the Bible incorrectly! I know what I meant! Those mortals just wrote it all down wrong!

(- Steve -)