New Deck Idea

S

sabshire

I have been tinkering around with this deck idea for some time, and I find it most fun to play. Here is the basic deck, with comments to follow:

4 Victual Sliver
4 Bottle Gnomes
1 Staunch Defenders
1 Radiant's Dragoon
1 Venerable Monk
3 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Howling Mine
4 Natural Spring
1 Stream Of Life
1 Feldon's Cane
4 Healing Salve
4 Annoint
1 Rejuvenate
1 Sylvan Library
2 Soothing Balm
2 Gaea's Blessing
1 Millstone
1 Zuran Orb

12 Forest
10 Plains

Comments:
Well, the basic idea is to stay alive long enough for the opponent to run out of cards. This is accomplished through the insane amounts of life gain that is possible. One fun thing to do with it is to use the Sylvan to setup a Gaea's Blessing as one of the top two cards, and the mill your own deck. It gets some strange looks, but it is fun. I usually keep the creatures around for a few turns as defense, and sometimes as offense, then ditch them for life. The Radiant's Dragoon is great. I cast it for the life gain, and in some cases, ditch it the next turn.

That's about it. Let me know what you think.

A

Apollo

Welcome to the CPA! OK, I think it's an interesting deck. I'd add in some Wrath of Gods and Swords to Plowshares. A lot of your creatures are sac creatures, so the Wrath will hurt them a lot more than they will you. You are mostly trying to run them out of cards, so the drawback of the Swords is meaningless. I'd also add more Dragoons and maybe Defenders, in place of some Victual Slivers, which don't give you as much life and don't present as intimidating a creature. Don't get locked into the "run them out" mindset; if you have an opening when they have no creatures or something, go ahead and attack (unless they're playing red). You never know, you might just be able to kill them with creatures.

Apollo

G

Griffith_se

Hi,

Did you check out the Blue cards that you have? Normaly Stasis decks are White, and Blue. I think Blue should be your Second color, Lock them down with cards like Opposition Rising waters Parallax Tide etc... Also Blue can let you bounce your Dragoons, and Staunch Defenders. If you want, you can force your Opponent to draw cards, Opportunity, Prosperity etc... Also if you can, get some Meditates these will let you skip your turn can you see how that would be useful?

As for Deck milling get some more Millstones, and Better yet Grindstones.

White, Use white to gain life as you suggest, but also make yourself hard to kill, cards like worship and Pariah.

I know some of these cards I mention aren't the best Choices , but my point is that, I think Blue will help your deck more than Green. Dig through your Blue card I bet you'll come up with alot of ideas. :D

[Edited by Griffith_se on May 17th, 2000 at 07:59 PM]

F

FoundationOfRancor

WElcome to the CPA! If the Celestial Convergence card from phporecy is true, U want 4 in this deck!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

Some thoughts...

With regards to Griffith_se's suggestions, blue might be a better choice but if you want to keep with the green/Gaea's Blessing route/theme then:

I'd probably choose more permanent ways to gain life. Fountain of Youth, for instance. I think there's a later artifact also (I'm not thinking of Rejuvenation Chamber but that might work also).

Definitely more Millstones; are Grindstones the ones for mono-color? Maybe those for the sideboard, whatever they are.

Swords to Plowshares is good. The Worship idea is also nice.

A lot of the good cards cost around four so you might want some mana acceleration is some form to get there faster (Elves, Diamonds, Sol Ring, Fellwar Stone, whatever).

As a corollary, you might need some defense besides the StP. If Wall of Essence is the one where you gain life, that might work.

I'm not sure the Howling Mines are good in this case since you're not using a "normal" lock down to negate the extra cards your opponent's getting, like Arcane Lab or Winter Orb. But if you're getting cards, Avenger en-Dal might work since you would use the Blessing to get back the cards anyway. Plus it removes attackers completely.

Flint Golem also works with the theme of milling opponent's cards.

Last, you might need some enchantment removal. Either the traditional Disenchant and its variants or maybe Reverent Silence or the other green ones (like Tranquil Grove).

Good luck!

S

sabshire

Some interesting thoughts guys. My main idea was to run them out of cards one at a time. The Mill was mainly for me. I do use the creatures for offense on occassion too. I thought it might be fun to just annoy the opponent so much by playing a very passive style of game. What do you think? I like the idea of using Blue for some bounce though. I might try some of the ideas and see how it works. I would have other dragoons or defenders if I had them. I only have one of each, so I went with the slivers.

Stace

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

One card at a time? That's going to be a VERY long game... I've played 2 hour games with no graveyard recursion and not winning by decking. You've got to have a lot of patience... :)

G

Griffith_se

Hello again,

Grindstone 1
3,T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into his graveyard. If both card share at least one color, repeat this process.

If Your going to use Green, along with Feldon's Cain, and Gaea's Blessing, You could also add Repopulate, and Thran Foundry.

If you can get your hands on These, Serra Avatar/Noble Purpose combo gains major life.

S

sabshire

Hey Grif...

Yeah, that is a nasty combo. I just finished playing some against a friend and his angel deck. He finished me off (i was playing LifeGain) with a 102/102 Avatar! Sheesh! I gotta put a Swords or two or three or four in this thing! ;-)

Stace