6 month player, new forum member

N

Ninja_Of_Ni

I just got into playing MTG last July via a good friend introducing me to the game. I found this site while looking on the MTG salvation forums and decided that it looked like a good community of players for me to join in with.
I've done all of my playing with friends or at FNM and have decided that the competitive tournament play is not for me. What led me to this decision was trying a bit the 2 types of play at FNM: draft and type 2. I started out in draft and after getting my first ever top 8 placing, decided that I would try my decks that work well against my friends in type 2 (a huge mistake). I was thinking FNM would be more casual, but the decks I saw seemed to be the type stacked with Jace the Mindsculptors or Titans. From seeing how much money people put into playing competitive decks, I decided that all though I like playing this game, I don't want to spend all my free-spending money on building a deck good enough to compete at tournament levels (nothing against the people that play Type 2 at FNM, they all were nice, mature people). After 2 attempts at playing with my constructed decks at FNM, I went right back to draft and had a way more enjoyable time. I would say I'm more of a casual player because I don't want to build $400 decks and restrict myself to the most current sets.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Well then you need to join or start a game in the game forum. We play just about anything, and since it's not IRL, you can play anydeck you can thin of. We play a lot of multi-player, but many of our members like to duel.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Welcome

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

What Mooseman said.... there's several threads you can look at to get a feel for how we playon the forums... They're in the Games Run... forum.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Welcome to the site, Ninja_of_Ni! I hope you stick around.

Playing Magic on this forum is a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind the slow pace (and, as has been said, costs nothing.) Feel free to ask for recommendations for building casual decks, as most of us have a lot of experience with that and don't like spending a lot on cards either.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Welcome, Ninja_of_Ni!!! A word of advice: Never listen to anything that Spiderman says. He lies all the time. He walks around the forums all day long, making us think that he does work, but he never does. He thinks everyone loves him but we don't, even if he is at the height of fashion, what with his waist-high pants and his plastic spats and his half-buttoned shirt and his pocket protector and his thick-lensed glasses and his sequined tie and his shiny braces and his digital watch and his smooth, smooth bowl-cut hair style.

Spidey may have it made in that area, but we still spit in his coffee and eat his food in the forum refrigerator whenever possible.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
From seeing how much money people put into playing competitive decks, I decided that all though I like playing this game, I don't want to spend all my free-spending money on building a deck good enough to compete at tournament levels (nothing against the people that play Type 2 at FNM, they all were nice, mature people).
There are enough ways for the budget player to build competitive decks, but I don't think the current standard is a good format to try that. The mythic rarity (and the associated power level of these cards) pretty much spoiled that. Other formats can be easier on your wallet. Out of curiosity: how exactly did you get from mtgsalvation to this site?

N

Ninja_Of_Ni

I'm pretty sure I got here from MTGSalvation, but I was also browsing TCGplayer at the same time. It was a stickied thread in one of those forums that had a link to this site.

I don't think in general that I care much for Mythic Rarity (except when I pull them at draft like I did one time with a Primeval Titan), just seems like a way to inflate card prices. I'm much more one to try experimental decks than copy the stuff that everyone else is doing. I'm currently trying to build a deck around Mimic Vat with the idea of using creatures that have effects when the enter the battlefield. Basic idea for the deck is to abuse these effects by imprinting them. I've tried revising this deck multiple times, but so far it has only one once in a game where my opponent got mana-screwed.

As far as play goes, I play a bit with a group of friends. I play draft fairly regularly at FNM, which I've enjoyed. I'm thinking if I were to go for a more competitive I would choose limited since it has nothing to do with your card collection. I've also considered building an EDH deck. I have a General which I recently bought, so I'm hoping to get my deck going soon. I could use some advice for building in EDH.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never played EDH. I don't think we've had it in the games forum before either (could be wrong about that). It could be fun...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've also considered building an EDH deck.
You mean... MTG: Commander! :D

I played it on another forum, not sure if we had it here either. If anyone wants to play a game, I'm good... although I'll probably just try one of the precons.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We haven't had it here. I posted a thread requesting casual gameplay and gave the rules on EDH. I am all for an EDH game.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey seems excited about the prospect of an EDH game. Look at those exclamation points. But Webslinger, aren't you forgetting something? I'll give you a hint: it's a tribal game...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
True, true... but Commander has precon decks, tribal doesn't... :) But I'll get a tribal together, I swear...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I played EDH .... er.. Comando... Er Comander...... Whatever... For the first time Tuesday night.
I made a pile of card deck.... I spent over an hour on it... well not the whole hour.
I'll play if someone sets it up

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm up for an EDH/Commander game. I made a Commander deck on MTGO that stinks to high heaven. With an unlimited card pool, maybe I can flesh it out into something playable.