Zuberas

H

Homestar

Hey all, im still workin on snakes but i am VERY interested in zuberas, could ya help me? heres what i was thinkin

Creatures:
Red Zubera x4
Green Zubera x4
Black Zubera x4
Blue Zubera x4
White Zubera x4
Theif Of Hope x4

Killers:
Devouring Greed x4
Death Pit Offering x4

Other:
Long Forgotten Gohei x4
Soul Foundry x2

Land:
Chrome Mox x4
City Of Brass x4
Swamp x5
Island x2
Plains x2
Mountains x2
Forest x3

I think my mana base might need a little help.

D

Doombringer

add the rends. Rend flesh works as a good removal for most people still not very into kamigawa, or just not playing heavy on spirits. The rend spirit isn't as useful, but if worst comes to worst, you can kill your own zubera for its effect.

Another good card would be He Who Hungers.

He who hungers 4B
flying
1, sac a spirit: target opponent reveals his or her hand. choose a card from it. that player discards that card. play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.
soulshift 4
3/2

another good rare is iname, Life aspect. With it, you could bring all your dead zuberas back to your hand. Unfortunately, I don't have it, so you'll have to look up its exact text some where else.

I hope this helps.

H

Homestar

i dont like the he who hungers idea, i dont think its necessary. and i would add rends but i have no room. there is nothing i am willing to take out.what i really need is help with the mana base.

H

Homestar

yeh i liked plunge into darkness a lot, i really wanna keep devouring greed but:

-4 Death Piut Offering
-1 Devouring Greed
-1 Blue Zubera
-1 Thief Of Hope
-2 Soul Foundry
+3 Plunge Into Darkness
+3 Fallen Angel
+3 Second Sunrise

-1 Swamp
-1 Forest
+2 Plains

I dont liek death cloud because of the BBB, and if something is going horreebleey, i dont want that to sit in my hand.

Also, do u think it would be a good idea to juss cut ALL the blue zuberas and put in fecundity, cuz it would eliminate one color from my deck, have pretty much the same effect, so my mana base would be more accurate. cuz with the blue zubera, sometimes yeah, i may be able to draw like 23 cards, but i oonly want like 7 or 8 at a time and i think fecundity would do that just fine.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Plunge into Darkness is so cool. It can be a lifegain spell, a search card fueled by your life, or both.

D

Doombringer

A way to help your mana base and also make room for good sac cards would be to focus more on 2 or 3 colours. A good combo that I noticed that i am gong to put in my b/w spirit deck that would work here is: using iname, death aspect to put all your spirits in your library in your graveyard then playing patriarchs bidding naming spirits or zuberas.

H

Homestar

i wanna make it type 2 :rolleyes:

ok, plz answer the question this time

should i cut all my blue zuberas and put 3 or 4 fecundity in instead, it would totally eliminate one color from my deck so it would make the mana base easier and my probabilitie of getting the color mana i need better.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Doombringers reply seemed to indicate a "yes" to that question.

I don't know what a "zubera" is even, so I can't really say...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I tend to only do that if a card is supposed to be good. So far I haven't heard anything about these "Zubera" guys being scary. Plus Zubera isn't a very good name. But let's give that new "Gatherer" thingy a shot...

Okay, I found five little dudes and they're all pretty bad considering how few Zuberas there are (unless there are more somewhere out there).

They all have abilities that could be really nasty with some tokens that were either Zuberaficated or started their lives as Zuberas to begin with. Conspiracy comes to mind. Not for Standard format, of course... :rolleyes:

You know, this could actually work...

R

Rooser

I think you're wrong to get upset at the zuberas for only existing in fives Ovvy ... because you get to run four of each and if they all dies at the same time, the cumulative effects grow exponentially.

Homestar, what I would do is just cut out the white and red zuberas - they don't really win the game. Well I suppose the red zuberas could combo out for a lot of damage, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Devouring Greed basically gives you the same effect as the red and white zuberas combined.

You don't need Chrome Mox because you aren't racing and you don't need to be losing a Zubera from your hand.

Just play the deck black green with blue splashed for the blue zubera. Use cards like Sakura-Tribe elder and Kodama's reach to speed up your mana and set up your colors properly.

Then you play with Devouring Greed, Death Pit Offering, and Gravepact to support the Zuberas and combo out.

The list should probably be like this.

Black Zubera x4
Blue Zubera x4
Green Zubera x4
Sakura-Tribe Elder x4
Kodama's Reach x4
Devouring Greed x3
Death Pit Offering x3
Gravepact x2
Night's Whisper x4
Rend Flesh x4
Island x3
Forest x12
Swamp x9

The zuberas aren't a terribly competitive strategy in constructed tournaments, but one thing I have learned about them is that people are real reluctant to attack into a bunch of them. Good strategy for playing the deck is to just drop your zuberas as fast you can and laugh as your opponent sits there and refuses to attack you. Then you set up more and win!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm not upset at them, Rooser. I just don't think they're all that spectacular. If you had a Conspiracy and a token generator, then Altar of Dementia or Goblin Bombardment would make quite a powerful engine.

They have some effect by themselves, certainly, but I don't think it's worth using them even in a casual deck.

An opponent who refuses to attack you with an aggro deck when you have a couple Zuberas out is a bad player. It's not that hard to get around them. They do become powerful over time, but then so do many other decks and often to a greater degree...

H

Homestar

well then in ur deck, rooser, that isnt enuff zubberas, i have found that soul foundry is amazing in this deck. with 2 read out and 3 or 4 other zuberas out, its crazy, with 3 others out u get 20 damage. thw hite is o.k, pretty much just is there to give me more zuberas. now i kno devouring greed would do the same effect as the white andred, but the devouring greed is for killing my guys, the other effect is justa major bonus. i also like devouring rage, since its an instant, it could be nasty.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, Homie just reminded me, the issue with the Zuberas is compounded by none of them existing in the same color. If all five were the same color, then obviously they would be quite useful. It doesn't seem worth building a five color deck over, though...

M

MrPapersHead

I'll Just jump in here and put my 2 Cents. I am playing around with a B/G Zubera Deck that runs death clouds. It's not the best thing ever, but it does get the job done in multiplayer. This is because, I can Devouring Greed a couple of Green, Black, and Blue Zuberas away to get more Spirits into play ala the Green Face, to draw into another Devouring Greed from the Blue One, to Devour again with the Tokens. Granted that's 8 mana, but this is green, so it's not entirely absurd.

Death Pit offering is pretty crazy here because it makes you sacrifice all your creatures....which is definitely not a bad thing seeing as you are getting some right back that are now 3/3's. No Legendery Dragon Status, but still hard to deal with.

I am running a non-type 2 version of this with Oversolds and Krosan Tuskers, so my results are a little different. But Kodama's Reach and Growth Guy get the party started just fine.

(Okay so that was more like 5 cents....but I'm not looking for change.)

R

Rooser

Yeah, see, ovvy. My deck is the shizznizzlebombdergittoy. I don't think they're worth five colors either, and my initial reaction was, "Eeeewwwwwww," but if you mess around with 'em and find useful effects that sac them all at once, they're actually a lot of fun.

EDIT: Actually my deck is mostly just ripped off from MrPapersface up yonder, so his deck is the shizzlebombdergittoy.