Zombie Boa (and other cards like it)

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by kinghink, Jan 24, 2002.

1. kinghink New Member

Good day,

OK, so the Zombie Boa from Apocalypse has on the card:

1B: Choose a color. Whenever Zombie Boa becomes blocked by a creature of that color this turn, destroy that creature. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery

So, I say, tap the mana and choose green. Opponent blocks him with a green creature.

1) is the green creature destroyed before actual combat damage is dealt?

2) if so, why is this?

One day I'm gonna study the rules very closely. Is there a site that "dumbs down" the text of the rules for Magic?

Thanks,

Mark
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

1. Yes.

2. The word "whenever" means it's a triggered ability, which means it goes on the stack during the Declare Blockers Step, thus resolving before the Combat Damage step.

I don't know of a site that "dumbs" down the rules, though ;)
  3. EricBess Active Member

2) Contrast Zombie Boa with a card like Basilisk, which says, "...destroy that creature at the end of combat." If an ability doesn't specify otherwise, it typically means, "now...when the ability resolves".

In the case of Zombie Boa and Basilisk, the trigger is when the creature blocks, which causes an effect to go on the stack. For Boa, that effect kills the creature. For Basilisk, it sets up a delayed trigger that will go on the stack at the end of combat (specifically, the "end of combat" step, which is after the damage step).

Truth is, most of the comprehensive rulebook is pretty clear. The problem isn't the complexity so much as the quantity of rules.

What you are probably looking for is more of a "reader's digest condensed version" of the rules. Something that would only list the rules that are commonly needed.

If you look up the comprehensive rules, look at the sections on the Stack and the section on the phases and steps of the turn. With these two pieces, you are 90% of the way there.