Zirilan Claw and Soul Sculptor

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

From another board:

I think the dragon gets removed anyway since the Claw ability doesn't care if it's actually a creature or enchantment, but I want to make sure...
  2. EricBess Active Member

The question isn't clear. He uses the effect of Soul Sculptor on what? There are four possibilities.

First and second, on some random creature (1) or on itself (2). Obviously not what was intended.

Third, on the Dragon. The idea being since it isn't a creature anymore, it won't get removed, right? Wrong. Spidey is right. The ability doesn't care what it is at the end of the turn, only that it is in play. If it happens to be an non-creature artifact by then, it won't matter, it will still be removed from the game because the effect of Zirilan affects <it>, being the card that was searched out. There is no check to make sure it is still in play.

Finally, he could mean Zirilan. Idea here is that if Zirilan loses his abilities, then the Dragon can't be removed at the end of the turn, because that was an ability of Zirilan, right? Again, however, wrong. The remove from game is part of the same ability that brings the dragon into play in the first place. Now, had Zirilan had a different ability that stated, "At EOT, remove from the game all dragons brought into play with Zirilan's ability this turn", then, this would work. But, we're not talking hypotheticals here, are we? :)

Instead of Soul Sculptor, there is a merfolk card (don't remember the name right off) that can phase out target creature. If you were to use that ability on the Dragon, then it would be phased out when it was supposed to be removed from game, so it would phase back in with no problems.

Or, you could use somethink like Flicker, which causes it to come back into play as a different creature.

In any event, you would have to do something to the Dragon since Zirilan's ability is already in effect.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yeah, he wasn't clear but I'm pretty sure he meant the Dragon being brought in by Zirilan; I think he's just trying to get around the "remove at EOT" part. Thanks.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

I believe you could use something to put the dragon back into your library and then do it again next turn and repeat this process...
  5. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Yes, as long as the Dragon is not in play at the end of the turn, it won't be removed, even if it leaves play and comes back before the end of the turn (as EricBess already said).

(- Steve -)
  6. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Respond the guy and tell him to use Rishadan Pawnshop, Goblin Bombardment, or Altar of Dimentia instead.