YOUR favorite Commons in Magic

Killer Joe

I know we talked about this before but I'm too lazy to look for the thread so I'll start a new one.

Here are some of my favorite common rarity cards:
Terminate
Lightning Bolt
Rancor
Counterspell
Accumulated Knowledge
Wall of Diffusion
Angelic Wall
Disenchant
Diabolic Edict
Syphon Soul

turgy22

Nothing Special
Sakura-Tribe Elder used to be my favorite. Now it's probably Ravenous Rats.

Other commons I use frequently are Llanowar Elves, Disenchant, Naturalize, Krosan Tusker, all the Ravnica common dual lands, Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, and Shock.

Some of the newer commons that are really starting to grow on me are Oblivion Ring, Qasali Pridemage and Terramorphic Expanse.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual. Also, Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual by miles. Greatest common ever. Other favorites...

Cabal Ritual
Duress
Lotus Petal
Brainstorm
Seething Song
Wall of Roots

And I like these ones and/or I've used them a lot too...

Tinder Wall
Lightning Bolt
Swords to Plowshares
Seal of Cleansing
Innocent Blood
Diabolic Edict
Counterspell
Daze
Force Spike
Oblivion Ring
Hymn to Tourach
Spinning Darkness
The Rack
Phyrexian Ghoul
Mogg Fanatic (too bad about the new rules)
Llanowar Elves
Fireblast
Flame Rift
Chain Lightning
Lava Spike
Rift Bolt
Jackal Pup
Pestilence
Darkling Stalker
Kird Ape
Accumulated Knowledge
Mana Leak
Arcane Denial
Mystic Remora
Strip Mine (technically it was a "common" once)
Mishra's Factory (same deal)
Tormods' Crypt
Gush
Victimize
Spore Frog
Priest of Titania
Fyndhorn Elves
Taunting Elf
Simian Spirit Guide
Sinkhole (LOL it really is a common)

...and a bunch of others, I'm sure. After all, there are lot of commons in this game.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Oversoul's list sure makes my work easier. I'd almost agree with Dark Ritual. You have to know that I was most actively playing magic in the time between Ice Age and Visions, and starting again with Nemesis (really). The second time around it was much clearer that DR is the powerhouse that it was, I mostly used it to power out first turn hippies or hymns. I've never played it in a combo deck, nor have I ever played a first turn Negator. If I had, DR would be on the top of my list.

As would Sinkhole, if I ever would've gotten more than 1. Around 2000 I figured I wanted to play vintage, and that I wanted to play Pox. I knew Pox, and that card is exactly how I want to play magic. The deck wasn't really good, but playing null rods, hymns or sinholes from a dark ritual was reasonably solid. I've bought every sinkhole I ever saw in a dutch webstore. That's why I still have only 1 ;) By the time I gave up there were more showing up (probably people quitting vintage or moving to a better deck) but they were twice the price I was expecting to pay for them (which was actually twice the price I was willing to pay, so I'd be paying 4 times more than I'd like).

My favorite common could've been Duress, but that card wasn't around when I started playing. Not long after I started playing I ended up with a deck with rituals and hymns (and every creature with protection from white, fyi, stupid stp). I loved playing Hymn to Tourach, I still do. Back then I saw ritual more as an enabler instead of the huge tempo boost that it is. But just for the effect nothing beats Hymn to Tourach for me. To see the your opponent change from happy with his opening hand to terror from the possible random discard is priceless. Yes, I might be a griefer, but if this shouldn't be part of the game then they shouldn't have included black. Duress does something similar, but the randomness of hymn is what it makes so fun to play. Hymn ftw!

As a bonus, my most hated common: Brainstorm. Dumb blue players hiding their valuables from my discard and taking forever to look at their cards and putting them back :mad:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
KJ's list and Oversoul's list pretty much cover mine - Bolt, Disenchant, StP, Rancor, Terminate... from what I can remember. I haven't played in a while :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman;289651 said:
My favorite common could've been Duress, but that card wasn't around when I started playing. Not long after I started playing I ended up with a deck with rituals and hymns (and every creature with protection from white, fyi, stupid stp). I loved playing Hymn to Tourach, I still do. Back then I saw ritual more as an enabler instead of the huge tempo boost that it is. But just for the effect nothing beats Hymn to Tourach for me. To see the your opponent change from happy with his opening hand to terror from the possible random discard is priceless. Yes, I might be a griefer, but if this shouldn't be part of the game then they shouldn't have included black. Duress does something similar, but the randomness of hymn is what it makes so fun to play. Hymn ftw!
One of the little things about this game that always left me a bit happier is that Fallen Empires had such a high print run. Hymns for all.

D

DarthFerret

Hands down, my favorite common is was and shall ever be, Prodigal Sorcerer