YOUR favorite Commons in Magic

Discussion in 'General CPA Stuff' started by Killer Joe, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

I know we talked about this before but I'm too lazy to look for the thread so I'll start a new one.

Here are some of my favorite common rarity cards:
    Terminate
    Lightning Bolt
    Rancor
    Counterspell
    Accumulated Knowledge
    Wall of Diffusion
    Angelic Wall
    Disenchant
    Diabolic Edict
    Syphon Soul
  2. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Prodigal Sorceror
  3. turgy22 Nothing Special

Sakura-Tribe Elder used to be my favorite. Now it's probably Ravenous Rats.

Other commons I use frequently are Llanowar Elves, Disenchant, Naturalize, Krosan Tusker, all the Ravnica common dual lands, Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, and Shock.

Some of the newer commons that are really starting to grow on me are Oblivion Ring, Qasali Pridemage and Terramorphic Expanse.
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual. Also, Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual by miles. Greatest common ever. Other favorites...

Cabal Ritual
    Duress
    Lotus Petal
    Brainstorm
    Seething Song
    Wall of Roots

And I like these ones and/or I've used them a lot too...

Tinder Wall
    Lightning Bolt
    Swords to Plowshares
    Seal of Cleansing
    Innocent Blood
    Diabolic Edict
    Counterspell
    Daze
    Force Spike
    Oblivion Ring
    Hymn to Tourach
    Spinning Darkness
    The Rack
    Phyrexian Ghoul
    Mogg Fanatic (too bad about the new rules)
    Llanowar Elves
    Fireblast
    Flame Rift
    Chain Lightning
    Lava Spike
    Rift Bolt
    Jackal Pup
    Pestilence
    Darkling Stalker
    Kird Ape
    Accumulated Knowledge
    Mana Leak
    Arcane Denial
    Mystic Remora
    Strip Mine (technically it was a "common" once)
    Mishra's Factory (same deal)
    Tormods' Crypt
    Gush
    Victimize
    Spore Frog
    Priest of Titania
    Fyndhorn Elves
    Taunting Elf
    Simian Spirit Guide
    Sinkhole (LOL it really is a common)

...and a bunch of others, I'm sure. After all, there are lot of commons in this game.
  5. Shabbaman insert avatar here

Oversoul's list sure makes my work easier. I'd almost agree with Dark Ritual. You have to know that I was most actively playing magic in the time between Ice Age and Visions, and starting again with Nemesis (really). The second time around it was much clearer that DR is the powerhouse that it was, I mostly used it to power out first turn hippies or hymns. I've never played it in a combo deck, nor have I ever played a first turn Negator. If I had, DR would be on the top of my list.

As would Sinkhole, if I ever would've gotten more than 1. Around 2000 I figured I wanted to play vintage, and that I wanted to play Pox. I knew Pox, and that card is exactly how I want to play magic. The deck wasn't really good, but playing null rods, hymns or sinholes from a dark ritual was reasonably solid. I've bought every sinkhole I ever saw in a dutch webstore. That's why I still have only 1 ;) By the time I gave up there were more showing up (probably people quitting vintage or moving to a better deck) but they were twice the price I was expecting to pay for them (which was actually twice the price I was willing to pay, so I'd be paying 4 times more than I'd like).

My favorite common could've been Duress, but that card wasn't around when I started playing. Not long after I started playing I ended up with a deck with rituals and hymns (and every creature with protection from white, fyi, stupid stp). I loved playing Hymn to Tourach, I still do. Back then I saw ritual more as an enabler instead of the huge tempo boost that it is. But just for the effect nothing beats Hymn to Tourach for me. To see the your opponent change from happy with his opening hand to terror from the possible random discard is priceless. Yes, I might be a griefer, but if this shouldn't be part of the game then they shouldn't have included black. Duress does something similar, but the randomness of hymn is what it makes so fun to play. Hymn ftw!

As a bonus, my most hated common: Brainstorm. Dumb blue players hiding their valuables from my discard and taking forever to look at their cards and putting them back :mad:
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

KJ's list and Oversoul's list pretty much cover mine - Bolt, Disenchant, StP, Rancor, Terminate... from what I can remember. I haven't played in a while :(
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

One of the little things about this game that always left me a bit happier is that Fallen Empires had such a high print run. Hymns for all.
  8. Killer Joe Active Member

What set was STP of common rarity?
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Whoops, I guess they were so widespread that they were almost common... :)
  10. theorgg Slob

I've been fond of Gazban Ogre for quite some time.
  11. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Hands down, my favorite common is was and shall ever be, Prodigal Sorcerer