You Can't Do That In Type II, Part II

Do you think this deck has a decent chance against the current Type II field?

• YES! I'll start playing it immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty good chance...just a liiiiiittle bit of tweaking...

• It won't rule, but it might hold its own.

• Might win a few games, but it's not really very good.

• Utter crap. Shred this thing and sell the parts.

• Total voters
I

Istanbul

Well, here's the way my deck is looking now.

20x Forest
(one-drop) Llanowar Elves x4
(two-drop) River Boa x4
(two-drop) Kavu Titan x4
(two-drop) Elvish Archers x2
(three-drop) Horned Troll x3
(three-drop) Silt Crawler x4
(three-drop) Trained Armodon x4
(four-drop) Blastoderm x4

4x Giant Growth
4x Seal of Strength
2x Hurricane

SB:
Tranquil Grove x4 (Story Circle, Teferi's Moat, Fires, etc.)
Elfhame Sanctuary x3 (Geddon)
Spidersilk Armor x3 (Blazing Specter, Dragons)
Kavu Chameleon x3 (Counter decks)
Distorting Lens x2 (Perish, color-dependent stuff)

Ideas I'm toying with:

-4 Forest
+4 Land Grant

-4 Blastoderm
+1 Elvish Archers
+3 Rushwood Elemental

-4 Seal of Strength
+4 Wild Might

Thoughts?

R

Rando

I'd find a way to make white mana and drop the Seals of Stregnth in favor of Wax\Wane. It's much more versatile and you won't have to depend so much on your sideboard when going up against decks that are enchantment dependent. Also, a nifty instant trick is always better with it's suprise value. That's one of the reasons I don't much like the seals. They give your opponant too much info, almost like showing them what is in your hand.

Quarion Elves, Perhaps?
Brushland?

Obviously Birds would not be right.

OK, that's my only comment.

I

Istanbul

Quirion Elves are a two-drop 1/1. Not where I want to go with my two-drops.
Brushland is feasible, but this is a low-landcount deck, and I'd hate for one of my few lands to swat me every time I use it for non-colorless mana.

D

Daggertooth

Possibly that explosive growth. Great with the kicker.

D

Darsh

Psst Daggertooth, the Villiage is not type 2 legal.

Sets that are type 2 legal.
Mercadian Masques
Nemesis
Prophecy
Invasion
Planshift(soon to be)
6th Edition

The Villiage was Urza's block so it can;t be used in type 2.

Anyway I'm pretty inclined toward the Rushwood Elemental.

D

Daggertooth

DARSH!!!!!!!

Your too quick. I realised my mistake and quickly eddited it. (for some reason I couldn't delete my post)

I hoped nobody would notice, But NOOOOOOOO, You had to read the post faster than I could edit.

:eek:now the entire CPA knows about my momentary stupidity.:(:eek::mad:AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT:mad:

Daggertooth:)

I

Istanbul

Aaaaanyway. What do you think about the ideas I'm toying with? Is it a good idea to play the Land Grants? Should Blasty come out for the Elementals? Is Wild Might better than Seal of Strength?

I'm most inclined to say no to the last question because Seal often has psychological consequences. Sometimes, an opponent will simply skip their combat phase because they know that my Elvish Archers can eat their whatever.

D

Daggertooth

[me] now has a paper bag on his head [/me]:(

Personaly, I like instant pumping spells like Explosive Growth or Giant growth better than the seals. True the seals allow for them to question their attack. But i find it better to Have the instance in your hand. Then they question weather that card in your hand will kill their creature or not. In the end they either hesitate and don't attack, or attack and loose their creature giving you the advantage. With the seal it is only a psycological game if it is in play. Now I would sideboard in the seal if your opponent plays heavy discard. Then the seals would be better.

Well, Thats just what I think.

Daggertooth

I

Istanbul

I already use Giant Growth...and Explosive Growth is +2/+2 vs. Seal's +3/+3. Granted, it can be +5/+5...for SIX mana. If I can pay the kicker, I've got bigger problems than growing a creature. I would play Invigorate before Explosive Growth.

About the other two...what do you think of the Land Grant and Rushwood Elemental ideas?

D

Duel

You know what's a really good card that nobody uses? Invigorate. Attack with an elf, they shock it, you pump it. No card disadvantage AND it deald another damage. Plus it DOES allow a 1/1 to kill a derm.....

I don't like horned trolls. River boas are better. And Chimeric idols are also better.

S

Squee

Horned trolls are utter crap. With a deck that empties its hands in a few turns, Megatherium becomes a really good card, and have very few instants, so Chimeric Idol is just a better silt crawler as it can escape mass removal. And PERISH will win hands down on this deck.

M

mpgsheep

i think that wild might is a very good pump card, better than seals, but maybe not as good as giant growth. However in the current environment it can work very well in the first 3-4 turns of the game. For example if you are playing fires, which can consistently drop a 3rd turn blastoderm, the fires player has to tap out. Then when they attack with the blastoderm you pump up your creature by 5/5 and kill it. One of the better ways of dealing with turn 3 blastoderm(besides playing one yourself!) I played a sort of similar deck at my first tournament, and although i wasn't majorly succesful, this could be put down to my inexperience and lack of good cards(i played grizzly bears as i had no kavu titans). However i enjoyed playing with this deck a lot. My report is at http://www.deadnet.org.uk/511gro.html
Might help, might not
mpgsheep