You CAN cheese out in Type II.

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I read on Team Academy that you can't really do cheesy quick stuff (cheating without getting banned, some call it) in Type II. I'm here to disprove that.

T2- Mexican Pepperjack Cheese (R)
4 Lava Dart
4 Book Burning (You take 6 up the ***, or I get threshold.)
4 Raging Goblin (The best creature for the job, overall best 1-critter Grim Lavamancer notwithstanding.)
4 Grim Lavamancer (Best 1-drop creature in T2 overall)
4 Flametongue Kavu (Because it's Flametongue warking Kavu)
4 Rites of Initiation (The win card)
4 Anger (If in the graveyard, your creatures get haste. Speed is the name of the game, here.)
4 Browbeat (Fuel for the Rites)
4 Kamahl's Desire
4 Mad Dog (You'd be a fool not to attack w/ this deck most of the time. This creature is fine.)
Sideboard:
4 Dwarven Grunt
4 Blazing Salvo (This already has plenty of grenades in it. Why not one for weenie decks?)
4 Shock
4 Bloodfire Dwarf

J

Jigglypuff

First off, what lands do you have in your deck? I'll assume you have 20 mountains. Since everything in your deck is so cheap, you may be able to get away with less.

I disagree with the Raging Goblin. He's not much better than a Mons' Goblin Raiders after the first turn. And do you really want to see a 1/1 late in the game, when Anger is already in the graveyard and all your guys have haste anyway?

I also disagree with the Book Burning. With threshold, flashback, Incarnations, etc. floating around, I think that milling or discard is a pretty bad idea right now. The problem is that straight red doesn't have many good ways to dump Anger in the graveyard other than letting it die in combat. Maybe Pyromania, but that can lead to bad things.

To maximize the Rites, you need more creatures. I'm not too experienced with red, but other people can help you find the right creatures.

That's all I really have to say right now. By the way, you can only have 15 cards in your sideboard.

(- Steve -)

N

NorrYtt

You aren't playing nearly enough creatures. You should play more creatures with some burn support or lots of burn will a little creature support (Fledgling Dragon?).

You should play all the decent 2/2 dorks you can and Rites, or try graveyard happy threshold stuff.

Graveyard Happy Threshold Stuff

Creatures (16)
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Flametongue Kavu
2 Anger
3 Fledgling Dragon
3 Firecat Blitz

Punishers (8)
4 Book Burning
4 Browbeat

Burn (12)
4 Lava Dart
4 Firebolt
3 Shower of Coals
1 Lightning Surge

Land (24)
4 Barbarian Rings
4 Petrified Field
16 Mountain

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

You must go second to get the extra card needed for T3.

Turn 1
7 Mountain
6 Raging Goblin
Attack all-out
Damage:1
is always the first step.

Straight Goblin strategy:

Turn 2
6 Mountain
5 Raging Goblin
4 Raging Goblin
Attack all-out
Damage: 3
Total: 4

Turn 3
4 Raging Goblin
3 Rites of Initiation

Discard your whole hand. Now you have 4 4/1 goblins attacking.
Damage:16
Total: 20

Lava Dart strategy:

Turn 1 and 2 are the same, but on turn 3, do this:
4 Rites of Initiation

Discard your hand, including a Lava Dart. Now you have 3 5/1 goblins attacking.
Flashback the Lava Dart.
Damage: 16
Total: 20

There are plenty of turn 4 kills available with Book Burning/Kamahl's Desire, going first with the above strategies, and Anger/Browbeat, but Rites of Initiation is always the win card.

2 Mountain 20 cents.
4 Raging Goblin $1
1 Rites of Initiation 25 cents.
The satisfaction of knowing that you've won on turn 3, in Standard, with a bunch of commons: priceless.

BTW, in the SB, drop the last Bloodfire Dwarf.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Ah, assuming that your opponent has no answers was always one of my earlier mistakes when constructing decks, as well.

If you're playing against Frog, your deck will be slaughtered.

Just imagine the horror you'll feel if you see the card "Simoon".

Ransac, cpa trash man

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.
-Volrath.

Simoon's casting cost, please?