Yet more rules questions from a fool.

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Rando, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Rando Freaky Bear

OK, here's the story...

My opponant plays Wrath.

I counter it with Absorb.

In response, he casts Orim's Chant. He then says, "I'll let the chant resolve, and then counter your Absorb", which he does with a Counterspell. He did this, of course, so I could not counter his counter.

I just want to know if this is all on the up and up.

Actual examples and rules would be nice, if you could.

Thanks.
  2. EricBess Active Member

Okay, let's step this through.

Wrath (opp) on the stack
    Absorb (you) on the stack
    Orim's Chant (opp) on the stack

The stack now looks like this:
    Orim's Chant
    Absorb (target-Wrath)
    Wrath

You both pass priority. Orim's Chant resolves and you may not play any more spells this turn. Stack looks like this:
    Absorb (target-Wrath)
    Wrath

He plays Counterspell and the stack looks like this:
    Counterspell (target-Absorb)
    Absorb (target-Wrath)
    Wrath

You cannot do anything, so the Counterspell resolves, removing Absorb from the stack, which looks like this:
    Wrath

Wrath resolves. Yep, it's all legit. Note that you could have played a Counterspell in response to Orim's Chant. If you had targetted the Orim's Chant, he would probably have simply Countered the Absorb in response.

However, you could have instead cast another Counterspell targetting Wrath of God. Now, there are two counterspells on the stack, each targetting Wrath of God. Your opp would probably have let the normal Counterspell resolve so that the Absorb would be countered on resolution. That would also have allowed him to keep a Counterspell in his hand, but at least the Wrath would have been countered.

All of this is assuming, of course, that you even had a Counterspell in your hand.
  3. rkoelsch Angel Boy

Orim's Chant
    Color=White Type=Instant Cost=W PS(R1)
    Text(PS): Kicker {W}. ; Target player can't play spells this turn. ; If you paid the kicker cost, creatures can't attack this turn.

This spell does nothing to spells that have already been announced prior to it resolving or to creatures which are already attacking. [Planeshift FAQ 01/01/26] In other words, this spell does not counter another spell and does not remove attacking creatures from an attack. [D'Angelo 01/02/18]
    The player may announce spells in response to this spell. This spell does not have any effect until it resolves. [D'Angelo 01/03/12]
    This spell does not affect the abilities of permanents. It only affects spells. [DeLaney 01/02/12]

So you could counter the Chant but if you don't the Chant will resolve and then you can't counter the counterspell.
    As for the sequence, I think it is correct.

it would go
    Wrath of God Announced
    Absorb Announced
    Orim's Chant Annouced
    Orim's Chant resolves
    Counterspell annouced
    Counterspell resolves
    Absorb Resolves(countered)
    Wrath of God Resolves

Everytime something goes on the stack both players have a chance to respond. If both players pass the top spell resolves. Then both players have a chance to respond again.
    That is how player are able to brainstorm for a counterspell to use.

sorry eric did see your post. you of course explained it simplier then I did.
  4. EricBess Active Member

Duplicate answers is always a risk with longer explanations. I was half expecting to see someone beat me to the "enter" key.

One small point of note, however, is that when a Counterspell resolves, whatevern it was targetting is removed from the stack entirely. So, in your description, the Absorb wouldn't even be around to try to resolve. In fact, the card would hit the graveyard before the Counterspell did.
  5. rkoelsch Angel Boy

I need to pay more attention to details
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

The only question I have is if the opponent allowed Rando to respond to the Chant, as his narrative says "I'll let the Chant resolve", implying that he didn't (the opponent cast it and didn't allow for priorities). Otherwise, agree with everyone else. :)