yet another stupid question from Troll

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Troll, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Troll Dr. Satan

Sorry for the vagueness but i'm at work and don't have the cards in front of me. Here's the situation:

Matt has the white enchantment where you can tap 2 untapped creatures you control to tap target creature and has two untapped creatures. It is the start of my turn. I have the blue guy who lets you tap 2 untapped birds and him to return target permanant to its owners hand. During my untap step, he tries to tap my guy. In response, I tap him and 2 untapped birds I control to return the enchantment to his hand. He argues that I can't respond to his action and my guy stays perpetually tapped. I tell him he's wrong and he wants me to find out the answer on the net.

SOo, who's right?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

First off, no one can do anything during the untap step. You have to wait until upkeep.

If you try this during upkeep, of course you can respond to his action and use your guy's ability.
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

so umm...

he's...

WRONG...

But spidey made a good point - nothing can pe played during the untap step, unless wording on the card allows it to do so... which none currently do... but there are cards that modify what happens during th euntap step - such as stasis, and that dang visions artifact... argh!... it slips my mind...
  4. EricBess Active Member

Power Matrix, train. Seedborne Muse is another one.

But you are right, nothing lets you do anything during untap, they just effect other things that might happen during untap. Even if something were printed that said, "This triggers during untap", you would still wait until upkeep to put it on the stack. There simply isn't a stack created during untap.

Remind your friend of two things. 1) No stack during untap. 2) Cost vs. Effect on abilities. He taps his two creatures as a cost. The effect, when it resolves, will tap your Keeper of the Nine Gales. However, you will receive priority at least once before that resolves, so you can certainly use its ability.
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

Sands of time...

That's the one...
  6. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Power Matrix doesn't do anything during your untap step because (as has been stated here a couple of times) you can't play anything during your untap step.

Power Matrix
    {4}
    Artifact
    {T}: Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains flying, first strike, and trample until end of turn.

Eric, you probably meant Storage Matrix.

Storage Matrix
    {3}
    Artifact
    As long as Storage Matrix is untapped, before a player untaps all permanents he or she controls during his or her untap step, that player chooses artifacts, creatures, or lands. Permanents not of the chosen type don't untap this untap step.

(- Steve -)
  7. BigBlue Magic Jones

I like storage matrix.... especially in a creatureless deck...

My opponents don't.... but I love it.

sorry for the interuption.

I can't add anything to the already accurate rules response...

People really need to read the rules.... at least once.

Not necessarilly that tome (the comprehensive rules), but at least a synopsis. the old rulebook that came with revised starters was really good (of course those rules aren't the same now, but I really miss those little books).