Yet another rules question from a fool...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Rando, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Rando Freaky Bear

OK, Here we go, and some day I'm going to break down and read all of the 6th ed. rules myself. Until that magical day, bear with me...

I thought that if a creature is removed from play before an activated abillity that it just activated resolves, that the ability remains on the stack regardless.

Here's what happened:

This guy at the local shop, who usually knows what he is talking about, and my little brother are both playing rebels.

"Guy" playes Paralax Wave and removes my brother's Lin Sivi from play.

My brother responds by activating Lin's recruting ability.

The guy then responds to the recruting by removing another Wave counter, tageting Lin again.

Now, "Guy" says that when the second Wave usage resolves, and then Lin's ability is nulified.

But, I thought it was still on the stack, so it would resolve anyway, right?

OK, someone please tell me what really happens, and if you could, please post the exact rules quote so if I'm right, I can "Wave" it in this guy's face.

Thank you...

(I'll try not to post anymore rules questions for a while, considering the great misdirection/couter controversy)
  2. Lotus Mox New Member

Ok the stack looks now following:

(1)wave removing Lin
    (2)Lin searching
    (3)wave removing Lin

Here's how it resolves:

(3)Wave removes Lin, both players pass priority.

(2)Now the searching ability resolves, putting a rebel into play, both player pass priority.
    (remember the silver rule of magic: abilities resolve even when their source is removed from game)

(1)Wave tries to remove the already removed Lin and this ability gets countered upon resolution

so yes Lin Sivvi would search a rebel she could even search another copy of herself, because the opponent responded to the searching ability with the wave.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Rule 402.6: Once activated or triggered, an ability exists independently of its source (the card on which it's printed). Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability.

You should probably print out a copy of the rules.
  4. Rando Freaky Bear

Thanks, I just needed some one to back me up, and on the night in question it was already 1am and no one felt like arguing.

I now go to wizards' site to copy the rules. I'm going to start carrying them around with me at all the tournements I go to.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Always a good idea.

Make sure you check www.crystalkeep.com for errata/clarifications/additions to the rules.