Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC Games

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Keep yer Super NES Killer Joe :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killer Joe

Which of these are better? I want to buy one for my two little girls (ages 8 & 6). I have heard the Game Cube is good also, especially for the little ones.

C

Chaos Turtle

I voted for XBOX, since you asked which is "better." But I think for young children you will get a lot more mileage out of a GameCube. It's much easier to find age-appropriate games for it, and the performance is nearly as good as XBOX as long as you don't need things like a built-in hard drive. Plus it's fun for adults, too. :) (I owned one, but traded it in to get my XBOX, which I just love.) Also, the Cube is cheaper.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think PS2 has the best games (not counting your whole computer games category). But for kids, GameCube (which was what I voted).

S

sageridder

I have to go with xbox.I have ps2,xbox,dreamcast,sega saturn sega with 32x and cd,my trusty old 8 bit nintendo,and even my classic intellivision all working love them all.But the best game Imho is on xbox super fun for kids,and realy fun to play with them Toejam & Earl on xbox.You have snes they have bounced mario thru the pipes and under the water " now it's time for something completely different".If you want to wow them get something they havent seen before.Haunted mansion "based on the disney movie' is another great game that kids will love and is smart enough that adults will enjoy playing with them.Not to mention tetris, star wars republic, morrowwind , and offical d&d games.Now I don't want to sound like an xbox fanboy, truth be told I have many more games for ps2 and play it more often. But for something new with games they will love and you will want to play with them i have to suggest xbox.The fact that it has a hard drive so you can download songs you like from cd's onto it and play them like a jukebox for your entertainment, and get the kit for $20 to play dvds isn't bad either.Either way you go all three are good, but it is christmas isn't something cool they haven't seen before better than something cool they seen something like it it before?

C

Chaos Turtle

That sounds like an endorsement to me!

I guess I should try this Toejam and Earl thing out, eh?

D

DarthFerret

Would it be wrong of me to suggest the good old standby, the game system that I started palying, and still love.....

The Atari 2600!!!!

How can you beat blips of color that barely resemble tanks, shooting at each other and doing donuts when they are hit?

Plus I am a master at the Pinball game (Rolled the score over 5 times before I got bored, and won a $20 bet for it from my brother!)

C

Chaos Turtle

Drooool...

Got an original?
I liked Warlords. And breakout. And Adventure. And those Activision games. And...

Oh, now I miss my ColecoVision!

I'm old.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I never had an Atari, but remember playing it so last Christmas I got one of those Atari Joystick All-In-One setups. For this Christmas, I got some game system that plays old stand-up arcade and Nintendo games (from the looks of it from the stall in the mall; it plays like 86 or so games and I just scanned through the menu. I know it has Donkey Kong and Elevator Action and what's usually shown on the demo screen is Mario).

D

DarthFerret

that sounds cool.. I left my old atari at my parents house long ago when I moved out. I think they still have it, but I am not gonna drive through 3 states just to get it....lol.

Ferret

Staff member
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for:

GC: lots of games for kids and good "party games" and it will be the only system that you can play Resident Evil 4 on.

XBox: well, you can play Halo, Halo2, Knights of the Old Republic (and upcoming KOTOR2), but not much else. Four games is not justification to buy a system - oh yeah, there are some sports games as well.

Playstation2: has the largest library of games available (thanks to backwards compatibility w/ PSOne) and has the most RPG's on it of the "big three" systems.

For what I'm looking for (RPG's) I prefer the PS/2. But, I guess everyone has their own preference...

-Ferret

"Why, oh why, won't someone release a decent CRPG!"

Ferret

Staff member
Computer - you know, that thing you're staring at right now. When I think of CRPG's I think of games like the Might & Magic series, Wizardry, (to a very lesser extent) Ultima, The Bard's Tale (what can I say? I'm old), and not the crap that has been pumping out lately like Baldur's Gate or all those Diablo clones - although, I did like Neverwinter Nights.

-Ferret

"An RPG should not play out like a RTS"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So is that why you don't like the "modern" RPGs? Because they're RTS? Oookaay...

If so, obviously this is a difference of opinion which will never be resolved, but I think it makes it more realistic. I mean, c'mon, you can't expect the monsters to just stand there while you fiddle with your equipment and change swords or drink a potion or whatever. And just to show I'm not against turn-based either, I hit the space bar almost every chance I get once my guys kill a monster or any little thing on the screen changes :)

It almost comes down to whether you like turn-based strategy games like Warlords or RTS like Warcraft...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
So is that why you don't like the "modern" RPGs? Because they're RTS? Oookaay...

If so, obviously this is a difference of opinion which will never be resolved, but I think it makes it more realistic. I mean, c'mon, you can't expect the monsters to just stand there while you fiddle with your equipment and change swords or drink a potion or whatever. And just to show I'm not against turn-based either, I hit the space bar almost every chance I get once my guys kill a monster or any little thing on the screen changes :)

It almost comes down to whether you like turn-based strategy games like Warlords or RTS like Warcraft...
I always am looking for a fusion of the two. I recommend everyone (Yes, even you sitting there saying "who? me?") to play Wizardry 8. It runs your party around in the first person view and the monsters walk up to you - however, when combat starts it kind of goes into a "phased" mode - sort of a combination of real time and turned based. Best combat system ever...

-Ferret

"Too bad it was the last game in the series - and the company that created it went under..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd love to play Wizardry 8. In fact, I'd like to play all of the Wizardry series again (my Apple stopped at 4, when you got to be Werdna). I started a thread about them a long time ago and got the link to the store that sells them all as a package deal... I should put it on my Christmas list :)

But my point is that the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/any of BioWare's RPGs are very good at re-creating the RPG feeling, especially when you consider that there was about a 7 or 8 year gap of RPGs between them and the last ones before that. The ones before BioWare, SSI? had some hit or misses with the D&D franchise and translating them to the computer.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One game I used to play a lot had an odd system. In "Lords of Magic" the game itself is turn based, but combat is real time (however, you can pause it whenever you want and give commands to your units, which they will begin to execute once you unpause).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I got that game for cheap but still have NO idea how to play it or what to do... the first "mission" or tutorial is still confusing...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The used to have a website that was quite helpful(www.lordsofmagic.com), but I'm almost positive that VU shut the thing down...

Anyway, I still have the book that is SUPPOSED to come with the game (but it seems that most of the copies don't include it or something) if you need help with anything...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not that focused on it. It was cheap, so I picked it up. I'm playing other games right now :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Baldur's Gate (the PC game, not the more recent console versions) and its sequel and offspring (Icewind Dale) was really good!

Don't lump it in with Diablo 2. Though D2 is also fun and addictive, an RPG it is not.