wormfang Manta

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by immortal grave walker, May 28, 2002.

1. New Set. New questions.

wormfang Manta
    5uu
    creature
    6/1
    when wormfang Manta comes into play,you skip your next turn.
    When wormfang Manta leaves play,you take an extra turn.

I declare an attack phase ect.... I then play Surprise deployment. Playing the wormfang manta. would I get to take another turn. assuming the manta makes it back to my hand?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

From the Judgment FAQ:

3. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

On a side note:

What happens with the Manta and phasing? With phasing, don't Leave play abilities trigger while CIP abilities don't?

So technically I can keep phasing bad boy out and taking extra turns right?
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Wormfang Manta combos very well with phasing, but that combo alone won't give you unlimited turns.

It would allow you to take two turns to your opponent's one though, since every time the Manta phases out, you'd take an extra turn, without the drawback of turn-skipping (since phasing in does not trigger CIP abilities).

If you could manage to survive skipping that first turn, you might have a good thing going.

Of course, getting a second manta into play while the other one is phased out... that would allow you to take unlimited turns, again assuming your manta survives the opponent's "free" turn.
  5. EricBess Active Member

Actually, CT, the trick is to use a card that will allow you to phase Manta out each turn. Vanishing does very well. It doesn't actually give the Manta phasing, but allows you to pay UU to phase it out. At untap, it phases back in and you simply phase it out again each turn.

Teferi's Vale also works well if you don't need other creatures since upkeep happens after untap.
  6. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Cool, thanks CT.

By the way, nice sig. That was a seriously underrated movie, one of the best endings I can remember.

EDIT - Man Eric, just snuck that one in there. I would feel bad continuously phasing that thing out. Not only that but the guys in my play group would be like "Hey Mike nice combo" right before they punch me in the gut.
  7. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Good one, EB. I forgot about Vanishing. I wonder if there's an extended-viable deck there...
  8. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

I don't think its going to be extended viable for long, doesn't Mirage block rotate out this coming season?
  9. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Good point. It rotates in November. Until then, though... Of course I expect the Worldgorger Dragon combo will be a little more popular.

(EDIT: By the way, the only thing I didn't like about that movie was when they revealed when the splice took place. It would have been better to leave it to the audience to argue about for years and years. ;))
  10. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

The Dragon/Animate Dead combo? What does it actually do though?
  11. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

It provides you with an unlimited amount of mana. Remember that the lands return to play untapped. It's a turn 2 kill provided you have a kill card (Soul Burn?) and preferably a way to ensure no Force of Will from the opponent (Duress, natch).