With the Second Singleton Ultimate Draft winding down...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
...whaddya say we start preparations for a third draft?

I believe that this second draft was MUCH more successful than the first one. The drafting was more efficient and thoughtful, the matches were more interesting, and we (will have) managed to finish an entire tourney with little issue.

Looking back at the first draft, we spent 11 months drafting to eventually play 3-4 matches. This time, we drafted for ~3 months and each played 6 matches.

I'm absolutely willing to throw my hat into another Singleton Draft. I know that it's been suggested to also do a form of Cube Drafting, but I don't see why we couldn't do both (though I prefer this form).

I know that the last match is still going on, but I just wanna gauge interest. Who else is interested in this again?

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
I agree. I think the only downer this time was that BPC decided to drop right after. I'm also more satisfied with my own performance, despite still making some really bad picks.

As always, I'm up for this.

What's a Cube Draft?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
A Cube Draft (from my vague understanding) is when a player or group of players design a draft set of 360 cards (made into 24 packs) for their draft (only one of each card used). Everyone knows what every card will be, but no one knows what will be in each pack OR who drafts what (unless you draft Rochester style).

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Who sets up the packs? A non-player?
Also, booster draft style requires PMs, that will be slower drafting.
If you get enough players, I'll be the pack maker and can take over any deck that gets orphaned (ala BPC).

Rochester style may be faster.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Which I why I prefer the easy to manage Ultimate Draft. Cube Drafting is apparently very fun when playing IRL, but the draft itself seems mighty hard to pull off in a thread based forum.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know I'm in though I suck at this.

What do you mean "design a draft set"? Is that coming up with cards of our own or taking them from existing sets? Although either way, that's way too much thinking for me, I'm just happy to do what we've been doing.

I'm not sure we're gonna have eight people though... I think everyone who's active and interested is already doing this. KJ hasn't shown any interest and I think Shabbaman passed. That guy who just came back in tribal, Aly0siusHWWW might be interested though...

But are we okay with seven people? I think we are, but what do I know about drafting... :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That's something else I wanted to address. An 8-person draft is very perfect...... when you're trying to cleanly set up a perfect bracket with no byes and that matters to you.

HOWEVER, since this past draft apparently went swimmingly with only 7 active players, I see no reason why we should require a set number of drafters. 7-8-9-10 or so drafters would be perfectly fine!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually the cube draft should be easy. Each player lists 45 magic cards, we make changes for duplicates and that is the pool.
then 15 cards are listed, horseshoe draft them, list another 15 cards, rinse repeat.....
Everyone knows the card pool, it's just that when cards show up is random (or do they need to be in some format for packs?)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
If it another singleton Ultimate draft, I'm not sure.... It's really boring playing a deck that just doesn't cut it for 6 or more games......

B

BigBlue

I suck at this format... I prefer limited - I enjoyed the full box league we were doing before it died... I like the sports league format too...

(says the guy who came up with the goofy and dead Top Deck format).

I am still interested in doing a pentathalon type event... With 5 different formats. I just wanted to have other things settle down before trying it...

now that Singleton is done... I'd be willing to do it.

Melkor

Well, I'm certainly down for another one. I personally liked the first one better, the rest of you drafted better in the second one. Still, is there someway to maintain the flavor of this draft but change it up a little.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Melkor;280616 said:
Still, is there someway to maintain the flavor of this draft but change it up a little.
We could introduce a banned list? Or keep a few cards from our previous deck? Or play three-player matches?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Double Posting, but oh well:

Interested thus far:

Ransac
turgy22
Spiderman
Melkor

Apparently Not Interested:
Mooseman
BigBlue

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, only from those from the current Draft. But rokapoke may be interested and any lurkers who'd like an opportunity to play us can obviously sign up!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Doh! I forgot about rokapoke, sorry dude. But he's been here since the first also and didn't really express an interest so I figured he's like KJ and not interested...

B

BigBlue

If you were to get 7 players and need an 8th... I'll be a punching bag again... I won't pull a BPC, I just won't win enough to enjoy myself.

Maybe if I just went R/G aggro instead of trying for the same control deck everyone else is... :) But I don't see that working out so well.

Maybe Oversoul will join again?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Maybe he will. I think that since you've gone through 1 draft now, BB, you'll do a lot better this time.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Not really... I tend to overthink this sort of thing and yet somehow miss the obvious...

I really thought I had a good deck.... Until I saw everyone elses. :)