Why Oregon Sucks

D

Duel

No level 3 judges.

What does that mean?
Well, for all you casual players out there without a level 3 judge,:
1. There's no prerelease.
2. There's no way to become a judge (You need to be a level 3 judge to make judges.....)

So, if any level 3 judges are considering relocating COME HERE! PLEASE! WE HAVE WORK FOR YOU!

M

maraud234

Why does Oregon suck? Oh, you just told me. What's the population of Oregon, you can usually tell how bad a state sucks by the amount of people that live there. Georgia, which sucks, has 6 million people. California, which is the coolest state, has.... alot more than 6 million. You do the math.

For those of you that aren't adept at math.

Alot of people= a cool state. :cool:
Not many people= a very not so cool, sucky state. :(

H

Hawaiian mage

I'm conclined to concure. Washington only has some 5 million as I recall, but it's the best damn place in the states. Mostly of course, becuase there aren't a bunch of other people ruining every thing, but that's besides the point.

M

maraud234

I guess you would have to consider other factors as well. But, I haven't been able to break it down to a science yet.

D

Duel

Okay, here's how I think it is:

# of people X Area of the state = Quality of the State
Quality of the State is inversely proportional to friendliness and general nicety of it's inhabitants.

E

Ertai

Hmm... do you mean (Area of state) / (# of people) = quality? That would make it inversely proportional to population density. I agree by the way... I just went to my first pre release when planeshift came out and was looking foreward to another. Oh well.

Z

Zadok001

We need a level 3, damnit! :) Oh, well. Next year, I'll be moving out to UoW to go to college - I'll be sure to get myself registered as a level 1 ASAP. From there, I'll try to make level 3 within a year, if at all possible. From there, we'll see what I can do.

"Pipe dream..."

D

Duel

I know! Why don't we kidnap Sheldon Menery, and bring him here?

G

Gerode

It depends on where you live in that state that determines its coolness. I lived in Fresno Ca. for several years. That was Not Cool.

Washington is cool if you don't mind constant drizzle during the winter.

M

mogg bomber

Yeah, it defineately depends on where you live. I just found out yesterday that my local comic shop is closing, which not only means no more FNM, but no more sanctioned tournaments at all. The weekly tournaments were basically the only time I ever got to play magic for the past two years:( I'll still come here, but I doubt I'll be playing magic much anymore(unless I find some other place which holds weekly drafts around here).

E

EricBess

Well, this thread caught my attention.

Here's the scoop. Ken Horton, a level 3 judge from Eugene (OR) has been getting a lot of pressure from his wife to not spend so much time organizing tournaments. He has been organizing all of the tournaments in Eugene and for the final few tournaments, he ran them in Portland.

Now, I live in Vancouver, WA, which is just across the river from Portland. I am a level 2 judge. Unfortunately, I have the same problem that Ken did. However, I don't really care about organizing, so my interest is simply in the judging, so I am willing to run events as a level 3 judge when and if that happens. That would mean tournaments back in Portland (and advancement for those interested).

What's the problem? Good question. I'm not really sure other than circumstance. See, I've been trying to become a level 3 judge for a few years now. The level 3 judge that I was working under just happened to be quite disorganized so, while I got back positive feedback, I didn't really get any direction or specifics of what needed to happen to "make it happen" so to speak. I kept trying to push him and he kept promising to get paperwork in, but never did. He has since effectively retired as a judge.

I worked at the same time with another level 3 judge, but not specifically for anything he was running, so he didn't pay enough attention to feel comfortable recommending me.

Then, I started working with Ken. That looked promising until he decided to stop running the tournaments as well. Basically, every time I get close, I have to start over again.

Having a wife and 4 children, I can't just pop on up to Seattle at a moment's notice. If I had some commitment from our friends up there as to what path I needed to take and what promises I received in return, I would pursue it. Until then, I'm not really sure we will ever get a level 3 judge again.

BTW, I have a friend that commented on the lack of level 3 judges in this area and he was told that Ken was still registered as a judge. Apparently, WotC doesn't track active vs. inactive for judges that simply retire.

One final note - you don't have to be a level 3 judge to run a pre-release. We contacted a few people at WotC and we were told that they were planning on running an Apocolypse pre-release in Portland. They had a couple of groups they were considering to run the tournament (including my group) and they promised to get back to us. In fact, we were informed that they would probably visit and interview us. Anyway, I suppose plans changed because that was shortly after the Planeshift pre-release and we never heard from them again.

Eric Bess
level 2 judge
Vancouver, WA

E

EricBess

For the record, we had a full crowd for the Planeshift pre-realease. My understanding is that Seattle didn't. But I wouldn't swear to that.

D

Duel

We certainly did. 200-odd people, I believe. I was there. There's a good crowd, for those willing to take advantage of it. I wonder if having Chris Benafel live here will make them think again?

E

EricBess

Don't count on it. Benafel was there for Planeshift. Plus, he got himself kicked out of the game center on at least one occassion that I am aware of.

N

Namielus

Come on EricBess, just get that lvl 3 judgeness an' cross over da river!

E

EricBess

Maybe if we all signed a petition and sent it to wizards... ;)

At the moment, I'm kind of in the same boat as everyone else. No level 3 judge means I can't become a level 3 judge. Catch 22...

Z

Zadok001

Well, there's some in Seattle. And I'm going there. I can at least make an effort! :)

D

Duel

Yes, he's leaving us. Graduating in, what, 2, 3 days? (grins) Then no more high school. EVER. He's fleeing to college....

E

EricBess

If you are actually going to be in Seattle, then you may have a shot. I live too far away to go there regularly. If you do make level 3, let me know when you get back so I can too.

Z

Zadok001

I will do so right away, of course. :) I don't expect to make it that far very quickly, but I'll try it. Wish me luck! (/me quotes the Legends rule...)