Why 9 Hells?

T

terzarima

Why does everyone assume there are nine hells? Isn't there only one? But if you mean nine levels of hell, how would you know?

D

Darsh

Well, of course nobody knows for sure , but some believe in the 9 levels. (It was mainly during past times) Have you ever read Dante's Inferno? the book explains the 9 levels pretty good.

C

Cateran Emperor

Hrmm... can you sum all that up a bit more concisely Gerode? I read it all and I'm having more difficulty with this insanity than before. Is there some crucial bit of background info that I'm missing?

As for Ademis, yes I am quoting Dante's Inferno on this one. Playing D&D for many years, I simply think that there are Nine Hells and Seven Heavens as Dante said. Nine Scions of Hell, Seven Lords of Heaven. All that stuff.

Besides, it just sounds really cool. :cool:

G

Gerode

A book written in the 1300's by Dante Algehri or someother. Never read it, but it's supposed to be historically significant. I'm probably wrong about this. I need to check my European History notes.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*Ransac shudders at the name "Dante's Inferno". He remembers his High School years(which ended last year) and starts convulsing.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zadok001

*NOTE: Not 100% sure on this, but fairly certain

Dante's Inferno is the third part of an epic. The other two parts are Purgatario and Paridisio (I know I spelled thsoe wrong, it's the Latin spellings of Purgatory and Paradise). It's excellent. :) Go read it, if you have enough spare time.

C

Chaos Turtle

What you'd be looking for, by the way, is The Divine Comedy, or La Divina Commedia.

Inferno is the first volume, followed by Purgatory, then Paradise. (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso).

Try very hard to get the English edition translated by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It's very readable and understandable, and preserves the mood and spirit of Dante's original work.

A

arhar

I think the reason is how bad of a sinner the person was in life. Think of hell as a cone, with layers. Layer one, which is right below the purgatory, is where the "least" sinners are, they are tortured for the least amount of time, and then they move to purgatory (and then to heaven). Then, as the badness of their sins increases, the sinners get put deeper in layers of hell, and have to suffer for a long time in one layer before moving up. The last layer of hell contains only one person: Judas.

Hope that helped!

D

DÛke

...I thought there were seven...

...Seven, to match with the seven deadly sins a person could have...
Level 7, which isn't deep, punishes for Pride:

What it is: Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Why you do it: Well-meaning elementary school teachers told you to "believe in yourself."
Level 6, gettin' deeper, punishes for Envy:

What it is: Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Why you do it: Because other people are so much luckier, smarter, more attractive, and better than you.
Level 5, punishes for Gluttony:

What it is: Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Why you do it: Because you were weaned improperly as an infant.
Level 4, deep, punishes for Lust:

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Why you do it: Oh, please!!!
Level 3, which is so close to the deep, punishes for Anger:

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Why you do it: You're wired for it. Also, the people around you are pretty damn irritating
Level 2, just before the final punishment, Covetousness:

Covetousness is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Greed.

Why you do it: You live in possibly the most pampered, consumerist society since the Roman Empire.
Level 1, which is the most most horrible, Sloth:

What it is: Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

Why you do it: You're shiftless, lazy, and good fer nuthin'.

That's what I thought...where do the 9 come from?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zadok:
*NOTE: Not 100% sure on this, but fairly certain
Kinda like my "I'm 98% not positive on this... " ;)

In Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series, he does the 9 or 7 layers of hell in the Hell book (6th one). I thought his portrayal was amusing... :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We only read the Inferno in Class, but that was more than I EVER wanted to read.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

terzarima

That's cool, they made my post a thread. And thank's all for the cool books, but what are they about? They sound really groovy, but somewhat confusing.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Zadok Is right, its the first part in a series, but I belive the middle one goes through Purgatory and limbo. The third one deals with heaven.

Ive only read the first, but it was a really good, fast read. I suggest it.

C

Cateran Emperor

DUke: Nice summation there, but the other two layers are:

Level 9 (top, bump all others): Liars and those not baptized go here. They're there for an extremely negligible amount of time.

Level 1 (hoo boy, you're in for it. There is no way out of here): Betrayal, the worst sin that can be committed. I dunno why that one is left out, but it's the Eigth "Super-Duper Rut-Roh I'm Screwed" Sin. Only Judas is kept here, as his betrayal is unrepentant. He isn't ever going to get out either.

T

theorgg

Longfellow, you said? I'll have to try to find that version. The version I found in my school's library was written in the same style as Beowulf, as in Midevial Engalishe. Rough Stuff.

However, Sac-man, your opinion doesn't count: you already stated to me that you HATE TO READ.

If you don't like it, don't knock it.

T

terzarima

I love digging up the past, don't you?

Since I started this thread, I've read two translations of Dante's Divine commedia and three of the Inferno. And I now own Robert Pinsky's Inferno, and soon (For christmas... buwahaha... I know what my parents are getting me) W.S Merwin's translation of Purgatorio...

I don't suppose anyone would like to start an intellectual discussion upon subjects discussed within?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's because of Dante's Inferno that there's 9 levels. He basically "made them up" (or took his own liberties in defining them). :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
From what I read, it seemed like he redefined them, based on research.

Yes, there are nine layers of hell, and they are not based on just the seven deadly sins. You have a layers for thievery, a layer for heretics, a layer for murderers, etc.

Ransac, cpa trash man