White Mono Control Help- Standard

C

Crackdown

I admit it. I'm a sucker for mono-white (and white anything) and I like aggro-control. I'm also a Johnny-Spike-Timmy according to the quiz I took. That means I'm all over the place with no virtual home. Oh yeah, I like rogue decks also.

So, I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to use White and was looking at a U/W control running Kira. But this sounds even more interesting (Kira can perhaps be used in a B/U Ninja control deck.)

I'm a tad overwhelmed by the thought of Cranial Extraction taking out either my win condition creatures or board clearing sorcery. So, I want some form of duplication. Of course, if CE hits a couple of times, I'm probably in deep yogurt. First one would probably get Wrath on a good guess (what White deck wouldn't run Wrath?).

Creatures - 8

2 Blinding Angel
2 Pristine Angel
2 Yosei, the Morning Star
2 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails

Spells - 20

3x Wrath of God
3x Final Judgment
4x Shining Shoal
3x Terashi's Grasp
4x Genju of the Fields
3x Pulse of the Fields

Lands - 22 (maybe 23)

1 Eiganjo Castle
21 Plains

J

jorael

22 land ain't much for a control deck, especially without any way to search for lands and the Genju's. I'd run 24 at least, perhaps 25.

Did you thought abour Hikari, twilight guardian? It's an air elemental that is resistant to removal if you pack some arcane instants. Combo's great with the mass removal too. I'd certainly use them.

C

Crackdown

Hikari is definitely cool! But 5WW for a 4/4 flyer when Yosei is only 4WW and will tap 5 permanents with a skipped untap step (or ten with two untapped steps skipped if we pull off the Legendary rule by putting two into play)? I don't know. The BA is the fast cast in this deck!

We could also use the Myojin of Cleansing Fire here I guess, perhaps with the divinity token generator That Which Was Taken. Might be a bit slow, but what a finisher! The Umezawa's Jitte might be a nice addition as well.

I'm wondering if perhaps having only 6 board clearers while waiting for the beef to arrive might be too little. The deck could have 4 Wraths and 3 FJs.

J

jorael

look again, its 3WW. That's why I compared it to Air Elemental. It's a good deal and the card is a bit underrated at the moment if you ask me.

If mono white control is viable post-mirrodin (or should I say post bannings) this baby should be tested real good!

C

Crackdown

jorael said:
look again, its 3WW. That's why I compared it to Air Elemental. It's a good deal and the card is a bit underrated at the moment if you ask me.

If mono white control is viable post-mirrodin (or should I say post bannings) this baby should be tested real good!
Hey, thanks. My eyesight sure was off!! :D At that cost, it certainly is interesting. I'm going to see what they go for and maybe pick up a playset. I'll have to rethink this decklist also. Although I like BA, I'm not certain it's a better choice than the heavier beaters.

How many creatures do you think I should run with this? I could probably go as low as 4 and as many as 7 or 8. If I run less finishers, I could go with more board control and possibly more spell control.

What do you think?

J

jorael

Good question. I don't play control decks that much (started to try them recently) and I have no experience with MWC, but I'd make sure to play with enough win-conditions.

I'd try something like this (note the disclaimer above :)):

Creatures - 12

4 kami of false hope
2 Blinding Angel
2 Pristine Angel
2 Yosei, the Morning Star
2 Hikari, twilight guardian

Spells - 23

3x Wrath of God
3x Final Judgment
4x Shining Shoal
3x Terashi's Grasp
4x Genju of the Fields
3x ghostly prison
3x Pulse of the Fields

Lands - 25

1 Eiganjo Castle
24 Plains

C

Crackdown

Hmm ... another question. Why not put Myojin of Cleansing Fire to double duty and run it with That Which Was Taken. Wouldn't placing an additional Divinity Counter on the Myojin (even if they destroy TWWT) allow the use of an instant Wrath of God effect, while still keeping the Myojin Indestructible and allowed to attack into no defenders?

Or am I missing something?

J

jorael

True, but it costs you an insane amount of mana and an additional card. Is it worth the effort? Will you have enough time to get it going? I doubt the plan, but playtesting would only give you a real answer...

An opponent could also respond to your activation of That Which Was Taken with instant removal (e.g. rend spirit) and destroy the Myojin before it becomes indestructible.

C

Crackdown

jorael said:
True, but it costs you an insane amount of mana and an additional card. Is it worth the effort? Will you have enough time to get it going? I doubt the plan, but playtesting would only give you a real answer...

An opponent could also respond to your activation of That Which Was Taken with instant removal (e.g. rend spirit) and destroy the Myojin before it becomes indestructible.
The Myojin comes in with one. Is there any reason to assume that it cannot have 2 or 3 on it at one time?

J

jorael

Haha, good thinking! So that's what you meant. Yeah that's pretty nasty. Still takes a lot of mana, but could be worth the effort...