White Knight and Animate Dead

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Apr 12, 2000.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

TomB brought this up in his article and I asked it in my reply so maybe it got answered there. However, to my mind this is an easy ruling and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

White Knight is a legal target for Animate Dead because it's just a "creature card" in the graveyard. However, once it comes into play its protection takes effect and Animate Dead falls off. When that happens, White Knight is no longer enchanted and returns to the graveyard.

Is this right? If so, why did the Netreps have so much trouble with this? <probably rhetorical since I don't expect anyone to have an answer>
  2. Dune Echo CPA Founder, Idea Man

Well, technically Animate Dead is now an Enchantment that targets a creature. But yes, wouldn't the Protection from black just negate the targetting ability of Animate Dead, therefore killing the Knight again? That would make sense to me and it's legal with basic Sixth rules isn't it?
  3. Legend Master New Member

Yes, that's right. You can target the White Knight in the graveyard with the Animate Dead, as creature abilities only function while they're in play (except for the ability of Scragnoth, one of the most evil cards in existence...but anyway)

However, once the Knight is in play, it is no longer a legal target for Animate Dead, since its ProBlack ability kicks in. Both the Animate Dead and the Knight end up in the graveyard.

Hope this helps.
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Y'all got the gist of it. What TomB was referring to in his article was a problem with whether the Animate Dead would actually move onto the White Knight since, as worded, it "becomes" a creature enchantment that is then moved onto the White Knight.
    The question was whether the protection would keep the White Knight from becoming enchanted, thus causing the Animate Dead to enchant nothing, and be buried as a State-Based Effect. This would leave the White Knight in play, as it had not actually been enchanted and thus unaffected by the Animate Dead's burial (when it leaves play) effect.

For the record, protection prevents a creature from being enchanted but not from becoming enchanted, which mean the Animate Dead does enchat the Knight but then get buried, along with the Knight.

I can see why TomB was frustrated. I feel kinda bad cuz I was the one who encouraged him to join that list (MTG-L).
  5. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

The main problem was the phrasing of the Protection from ~foo~ in the rulebook. It says that creatures with Pro:~foo~ 'cannot be enchanted by ~foo~ enchantments.' The problem is, that statement isn't clear as to whether it disallows enchantments from being _put_ on the creature (i.e., cannot _become_ enchanted), or if it creates an illegal game state (i.e., the enchantment goes on, is illegal, and THEN goes away).

"I just started deleting all messages with 'White Knight' in the subject."
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Hmm, I get where the confusion was. One of those oh-so-subtle wording distinctions. :)

Thanks!