White Counterspell

L

Landkiller

Appeasement WW
Instant
Counter target spell.
That spell's caster gains life equal to the converted mana cost of the spell.

Whaddya think?

Z

Zero

Appeasement WW
Instant
Counter target spell
That spells controller gains XX life. Where X is converted mana cost of the counter spell.

N

Nyx

I could swear that there's a white spell that says counter target enchantment or artifact. Isn't there?

S

Smithy

Actually, that would be quite a balanced spell.
However....NO..NO..NO.
White can't have Counterspells, that's Blues' domain.
Mono Blue is having a hard enough time as it is without other colours joining in. Absorb and Undermine are bad enough.
(Enough enoughs already!)

L

Landkiller

Now, for a black counterspell

Supress 1B
Instant
Counter target non-black creature spell.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there's a white enchantment that counters other enchantments while in play... just can't remember the name. From the MirViLite block, I think.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nyx is right. have we all forgotten Illumination?

Everybody's favorite, and the only, White Couterspell.

Ransac, poody-head

N

Nyx

Illumination, that was it! Thanks! It's not technically the only one though, because the eratta on PResence of the Master, makes it into a counter: "While ~this~ is in play if any player casts an enchantment, counter that enchantment." Or some such. But Ilumination is the only one that feels like a counter.

D

DÛke

...a White "counter spell" doesn't really have to be a "counter spell" to be able to "counter"! Get it? No? Ok, let me explain: Cho-Manno's Blessing is referred to as a "White Counter Spell", because it costs WW and has something that is similar to "countering".

Here's a version of a White "counter spell":

Hosanna 1WW
Instant
Untap target creature. That creature gains protection from a color of your choice until end of the turn. Gain life equal to that creature's power, toughness, and total casting cost.

This card would be considered as a “counter spell” somehow. It prevents the death of a creature, and it “counters” a huge attack of creatures by gaining some life. I like it, I would use it.

P.S. Hosanna is a real English word; I didn't just make it up.

G

Griffion2000

Hosanna is sooooo broken!

Example: 2nd turn, I play a Avatar of Might
3rd turn, I play Hosanna and gain 18 life!

Also, Hossana is not a counter spell, it's a life gaining - creature saving spell

A REAL white counterspell would be as fallowing:

Swords to Sheep-Herding
W
Instant
Counter target creature spell.
Instead of placing the countered spell in the graveyard, remove it from the game.
That spells owner gains life equil to it's toughness.

It's not very good but at least it:
A. IS a counterspell, and
B. is something that sounds like a real card :D

D

DÛke

Light Flip WW
Instant
Counter target spell, and set that spell aside.
Gain life equal to that spell's casting cost.
At the begining of opponent's next upkeep step, that spell takes effect.

There...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you're being serious, it's too cheap for white because countering is not its specialty. Just like Timber Wolves cost more in green though it's functionally the same as Benalish Hero, a white counter would probably cost at least 2 more or something.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
How about this?

Lesser White Counterspell
1WW
Instant
Counter target spell. That spell's caster gains 1 life.
Return one plains you control to your hand.

Ransac, Hideously monkey