Which Stasis deck is Better?

S

Supermouse

This is my Critically Acclaimed, Type 2 Stasis deck. How can I make it better? There are two versions of it now, Which one is better? #1:

4 lightning angel
2 serra angel

4 accumulated knowledge
4 counterspell
4 absorb
3 foil
2 fact or fiction
2 reviving vapors

3 dega sanctuary
3 embargo
2 uphill battle
2 tsabo's web

10 island
4 plains
4 coastal tower
3 battlefield forge
3 shivan reef
1 mountain

Here is the second version:

4 Lightning Angel
2 Stormscape Familiar
2 Sunscape Familiar

Spells:
3 Goblin Trenches
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Thwart
3 Foil
3 Embargo
3 Dega Sancuary
3 static orb
1 opposition
2 reviving vapors
3 uphill battles

Lands:
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Shivan Reef
10 Island
5 Plains
2 mountains

Which is better? Thanks in advance for any opinions or Suggestions, I really need them!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

The problem with Type II attempts at Stasis is that Embargo is nowhere near as good as Stasis.
So I think that if you're trying to make a deck that uses Embargo as a substitute, you've got to rethink the strategy a little.
The main disadvantage of Embargo compared to Stasis is not that it costs more mana, and not that you lose life, but that it doesn't prevent lands from untapping.
To maintain any stable lock, you're going to have to prevent them from Disenchanting or Waning or in any way destroying the lock mechanisms.
So you've got to find some way to keep the lands tapped.
Probably the best ways to do this in Type II (mainly because they're the only feasible ones) are Rising Waters, posibly combined with Port, and Opposition. (Tsabo's Web doesn't work unless the opponent is using no basic lands.)
I'm not sure which is better in this kind of deck. Opposition doesn't affect you negatively when you don't need it. However, it does affect you badly with Embargo when you do need it, because the creatures don't untap. So if you want to use Opposition with Embargo as a main part of the deck, you'll need some permanent way to bounce it. I would suggest Temporal Adept.
Also, Opposition is best with multiple creatures to tap multiple things, and in both decks you have less than 9 creatures. So I wouldn't recommend using Opposition if you're going to use Embargo as well.
On the other hand, Rising Waters always affects you the same. This might be slightly badly, but it won't get worse (although the situation may change so that it's worse, but at this point that's beyond your control). But if you can prevent it from affecting your untap, it's better than Opposition in this case as it does most of the work for you. Temporal Adept would also be good here - except that it doesn't untap under Embargo. So another problem arises.
Also significant is the synergy between Static Orb and Opposition. However, this doesn't work under Embargo either, because you need to tap the orb so you don't feel its effects, and then untap it later; you can't do this unless you bounce the Embargo.

So most likely tapping all the lands is out of the question, barring some intricate multiple card combo. You'll need bounce for that, most likely, and the only thing that will probably work is Temporal Adept.
The only other feasible way to control them is counters. Lots and lots of them. And card drawing. It seems like you've pursued that route. Probably other people would be able to give suggestions as to cards for that role.

The only other thing to deal with is the fact that Embargo makes you lose life. Obviously you have used Dega Sanctuary, Reviving Vapors, and (in the first deck) Absorb to deal with this.
However, of those options, only the Dega Sanctuaries are permanent. So they're the only ones you can really rely on.
However, you only have 10 red permanents in either deck, and only up to 3 in either deck that aren't gold (This is serious; you can't just rely on Lightning Angels).
You might be forced to either use more red permanents, or find some other way to gain life.
Wild Research would be excellent for the first strategy (and good in the rest of the deck), and Wheel of Life would be good for the second.

But in essence, I can't help you much. Sorry. I hope you didn't have to read all that. :)
Maybe Gizmo will come along and put me to shame.

In general, the second deck is better than the first.

G

Griffith_se

I work on this kinda deck a few weeks ago.
I ended up with the following.

I wouldn't say that this is one of my favorite decks to play. :)

" Embargo "
- Non-Tap Creatures 14 -
2 Ardent Soldier
4 Skyshroud Falcon
2 Lightning Angel
4 Serra Angel
2 Gerrard Capashan

- Disruption 8 -
4 Embargo
4 Uphill Battle

- Spells 14 -
4 Rethink
4 Counterspell
2 Force Spike

4 Spirit Link

- Land 24 -
4 Coastal Tower
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Mountain
6 Plains
6 Island

As far as the two decks you posted, I would have to agree with TICM, #2 is better.
What do you think about it kinda like this?

Creatures:
4 Serra Angel
4 Gerrard Capashan

Spells:
4 Embargo
2 Uphill Battle

4 Opt
4 Gush

4 Thwart
4 Foil
2 Rethink
2 Daze
1 Misdirection

4 Wild Research
2 Dega Sancuary

Wild Research is good to get your combo, but there's a chance you might discard the card you want.
Increase your odds by keeping a hand full of cards (Gush, Twart, Daze, and Sleight of Hand).

You could cut some cards for silver bullets also.

I dun know <shrug>