• The new post-Mirrodin card faces

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • The Planar Chaos Timeshift card faces

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blah, I still like the Beta card edges and the wide cut corners

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Melkor

Back in my day Magic Cards were Magic Cards. Black was black, white was white, and artifacts didn't look they were white too. Tough to tell the difference these days what with my fading vision.

D

DarthFerret

technically, the beta cards had the same edges as what we use now. It was the Alpha set that had the wide cut corners. (thus it is not legal to have them in a tourney deck unless they are either all Alphas, or are in sheaths....)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still like the old faces, but I haven't really played enough with the newer faces to "get to like them". I mean, I don't mind the newer faces...

Killer Joe

"New" is a *tough* way to go, I use to almost always like "old" things in favor of new, like I still think of the Long Island Islanders as a new expansion team in the NHL, I loved the no face mask goalies and thought it ridiculous that they were starting to wear them, and what happened to the Oakland Seals? In 1972 thier goalie scored a goal on an "open-net" shot across the rink after blocking a slap shot. I see things differently now. Not for hockey but for MTG.

I played with the old faces of magic cards since 1996 and though I didn't really care one way or the other about what they looked liked I wasn't appauld when rumors first came out that the card faces might change to look more like OverPower card faces. I LIKED OverPower.

I also don't get *hacked* about playing with different face cards 'tho I still like to play with all black border cards :rolleyes:

Yeah for the NEW, Yeah for the OLD,.........okay, an extra little yeah for the new :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Don't you mean pre-8th edition? Anyway, I'm so nostalgic I sometimes think of Mercadian Masques as being new...

Killer Joe

Yeah, 8E was the first set out with the new faces but I figured folks would understand more easily if I said "Mirrodin". :eek:

E

EricBess

I'm withholding my vote because I don't really care overly much. I do think that the old faces were pretty bland, but then again, there is a feeling of "good old days" with the old faces and the new faces are a reminder how formulaic some of the newer sets have a tendency to feel.

As far as pure aesthetics, I much prefer the new faces to the old faces, but like everyone else, I wish they had chosen a better color for their artifacts since they still look too much like other colors.

Other than that, I think people just enjoy complaining. People like the old faces because they want to complain that things are changing. People like the "time shifted" faces because they are a cool thing that we know isn't a permanent change to what we are used to. Just like many people think split cards are cool, but what if WotC announced that every set would have 75%+ split cards from now on? My guess is people would complain (I know I would). Yeah, the example is extream, but the point is in there somewhere.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I like the old look the best, but that doesn't mean I don't like any of the other looks. Although, I will say that the 8E/Mirrodin coloring is a bit tough, the artifacts do look like the white cards.
I would like to see WoTC make the important info on the cards more readable and worry less about how "cool" the cards look. Functionality should come first.... but< I guess less people would buy them to collect if they didn't look "cool"... right?

E

EricBess

Mooseman - I agree that functionality is important, but I think they realized that. Some of the new elements, like the little box around the p/t, or even around the card name, kind of make those sections pop a bit more. They've also put more color in the frame so they can tone-down the color in the text box, making it easier to read. Black names instead of white and the same faded treatment in the name window make the names easier to read.

I'm just sort of speculating here based on my experience with having worked with people on some card frames for one of Upper Deck's games, but I'm guessing that there were some very specific functionality issues that WotC did try to address with the new frames. The fact that they advertised them as "looking cooler" was more spin than anything. For people who love the game, it sounds a bit irreverant, but they are trying to get new players, too, and "looks cooler" has better PR than, "we think we messed up a couple of things and we're trying to improve them now"

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there was anything wrong with the old frames, but I can see where the changes made could be considered improvements.

As a side-note on spin - I remember once when Reces Peanut Butter Cups boldly advertised - "Now with more Peanut Butter", and I remember thinking how that sounds so much better than, "Now with less chocolate". Call me a cynic :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, not necessarily. They could have just added x amount of more peanut butter but kept the chocolate amount the same. The percentage of chocolate would have gone down though. :)

Killer Joe

Okay, after getting used to the look of the new Planar Chaos Timeshift cards I think i REALLY like them better than the old new ones. :)