Which Is The Best 7-CC Card?

Which is the best?

• Dimension Warp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Temporal Fluctuations

• Dazzling Aura

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • None, they all suck! Get back to work!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Istanbul

I'm in a contest, and the goal is to make a card that costs at least 7 mana. I've narrowed it down to three prospects, and I want your opinions on which one is best before I send in my submission.

Remember that these cards will be judged on Balance, Flavor, and Creativity. That means that "broken" does not equal "good", and "safe, same old crap" doesn't either.

Dimensional Warp 4WWB
Sorcery
Remove all creatures from the game.
During each player's upkeep, that player returns a creature removed from the game in this way to play and loses life equal to its casting cost.

-----

Temporal Fluctuations 5UU
Enchantment
You may play spells whenever you could play an instant.
Opponents may play instants and abilities only when they could play a sorcery.

-----

Dazzling Aura 5WU
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2, is unblockable, and has, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may gain control of target creature that player controls."

J

jorael

Temporal Fluctuations, absolutely. The other 2 are meh, IMO, but this one is cool!

balance and flavor-wise I'd tweak it a bit and let it do:

Temporal Fluctuations 5UU
Enchantment
You may play sorceries whenever you could play an instant.
Opponents may play instants and abilities only when they could play a sorcery.

Feels more blue to me and is still a cool way to break a rule in magic :)

Good luck with the contest!

I

Istanbul

For 7 mana, you should be able to play any spell when you could play an instant. Compare to Vedalken Orrery, which only costs 4 colorless.

J

jorael

Hmm, good point, but the other ability also pretty nasty. No instant abilities for any opponent?

City of Solitude + Vedalken Orrery in one for 7 mana may be ok, but I just like the sorcery thing...

I

Istanbul

I'm leaning towards Temporal Fluctuations too. I cleaned up the wording a little bit and found some art for it...thoughts?

...okay, I can't upload even the smallest version of it here, because the limit is 100K...harsh. I'll see if I can link it.

Incidentally, would a name change to 'Borrowed Time' be a good thing or a bad thing?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I voted for Temporal Fluctuations as well. It is very expensive and won't win the game by itself or anything, but it still has huge effects. It seems like it needs something a bit more still--but I like it the best out of the three...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll chime in for my reasons for Dimensional Warp. I think a double B is needed for the costing cost, to make it 3WWBB since it seems equally white and black, but it just seems like a cool global removal with an interesting effect.

Oh yeah, and perhaps edit the text to "during each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature removed from the game in this way and returns it to play under his control? and loses life equal to its casting cost"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
under his control?
I actually have seen girls play Magic before. I know some of you probably won't believe me, but it's true...

So how about "his or her control"? :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If actual existing cards use that template, fine. If there's something in the rules that state 'his' means 'his or hers' so they could save space or whatever, then that's fine.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, actual cards use "his or her." Or at least the Oracle texts do. I'm not sure if any older cards ever just shortened it to "his."

I sort of doubt it, but it would be funny if they did...