When can you pump a creature?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by WhiteMagic, Aug 18, 2000.

1. WhiteMagic New Member

My ignorant question of the day (I'm allowed one each day, right? :))

I have a Spur Grappler in play, which is 2/1 but gets +2/+1 as long as I control no untapped lands. I have one untapped land.

My friend has played an Ensnaring Bridge, which prevents creatures with strength of more than the number of cards in his hand from attacking. He holds 3 cards.

Question: Can I attack with Spur Grappler, (which now passes his Ensnaring Bridge) and then (as a fast effect or whatever) tap my last land to turn S.G. into a 4/2, which wouldn't have gotten by the Ensnaring Bridge?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
  2. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

Yep!

I built a deck with ensnaring bridge, meekstone, dwarven warriors, and pump-upable creatures. It was fun.
  3. Neo_Keo -=[I]=- []2ice |Voodles

Sounds good to me

Someone attacked me with a Rouge Elephant and said, " I see you can't block with that Veteran Brawler since you have that land untapped". I gave him a smile, man burn myself for one and killed is elephant. We both had a good laugh after that.
  4. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

You DID? I'd have smacked you. Of course, anyone playing veteran brawlers deserves to die...
  5. Erbrich New Member

It's all in the set up of the combat phase.
    Beginning of Combat---
    Declare Attackers---
    -This is where you declare your attacker and the Ensnaring Bridge checks the creature's power
    Declare Blockers--
    -Opponent can declare legal blockers.
    --You then receive priority to play spells and abilities(pump the creature here)
    Combat Damage---
    -When the damage goes on the stack, your grappler is 4/2 so it eals 4 damage
    End of Combat---

So the ability is, in effect, played in response to your opponent declaring blockers-be it 4 or none.

Erb
  6. NeuroDeus Doctor Wundindlinyg

Think so...