Whats the new Par?

Z

Zero

Well, in complicance with the latest article about how we all babble to much;), im making a sophisticated post. This is about the mill decktype (Im looking for mainly gizmos and FoR's opinion here). Is it possible in the new type 2? What compenents does it lack? What can be new subtutions? To get ya'll ignighted, heres FoRs decklist on the latest mill deck (I hope its ok for me to quote you FoR)

Mill
(7)
4 Howling Mine
3 Millstone
(13)
4 Counterspell
4 Disrupt
1 Exclude
2 Misdirection
2 Prohibit
(9)
3 Disenchant
1 Fountain Watch
2 Wrath of God
1 Wave of Reckoning
2 Story Circle
(7)
4 Absorb
2 Teferi's Moat
1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator
(24)
4 Coastal Tower
4 Adarkar Wastes
8 Island
6 Plains
1 Kor Haven
1 Raths Edge

Now, some cards that were created for mill and might be considered are;

Wind of Denial
Wand of Denial
Flint Golem
Rootwater Theif
Rising Waters
6th Diamonds

End.

U

Ura

Traditionally with me, most W/U mill type decks worked on the basis of locking down and removing any threats, which is what you've got going her nicely.
The biggest problem or loss with mill decks of these colors right now is the really low level of targeted white creature removal spells.
Since the new T2 is going to be much more creature heavy to an extent it would be a good idea to possibly find some targeted creature removal. The teferi's moats are good, but you don't want to be depending on the two moat and two wrath's on their own to keep control (I'm not a big fan of wave of reckoning). a third, non-countering option would be good either maindeck or in the sideboard. Exile is a posibility but it can't hit white guys. I like topple quite a bit too, but its a sorcery.
I'd also go down to 2 or 3 disrupt in favor of something else.
Perhaps some way to cycle through your library as well, opts are nice and cheap to do it with.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zero, and I don't want to be a party pooper, :), but since this is about decks it should probably have gone in the Deck forum.

W

Whimsical

T-2 is slow enough nowadays (yay! Urza block is shanghaied into the format that it's meant to be in, Extended!!!) that pure control decks are actually viable nowadays. In fact, it's slow enough for Prison decks to rear their slow and lazy heinies... :D But I digress.

As mister Ura sir has pointed out, the lack of instant white spot removal (i.e., Plowshares) is really aggravating. 4 Wrath of Gods and 2 Teferi's Moat isn't enough. Pacifism/Arrest/Shackles are all enchantments. Exile is the closest thing you can come to Swords in the T-2 environment.

On a side note, Wave of Reckoning is amusing ... and in the right deck (Blinding Angel/Glittery Kitties) is devastating. I'd rather run 4 Wrath of Gods personally. It's cheaper and it sweeps the board clean of everyone.

Wand of Denial is a decent addition, though with the loss of Zuran Orb, the 2 life pop can get really painful really fast.

Flint Golem. Eh? Why not Blinding Angel? Flint Golem has to be blocked ... and a seriously control-oriented deck like this can't handle it. Let me paraphrase that ... in a deck like this, your creatures either annoy the living heck out of your opponent (Blinding Angel) ... or are the ultimate in beatdown efficiency (Serra Angel, but even she needs the support of Swords at times).

Ditto for Rootwater. While the card advantage may seem promising, the Thief is just too fragile.

Adding Rising Waters would entail adding a lot of artifact mana to the deck ... thus making it into a Murky Skies deck. Waters MIGHT be a candidate.

Fact or Fiction can be used in place of Howling Mines. Player choice.

<smiles and shrugs> I'm sure the other members here can provide a more coherent explanation. Happy Magicking! :D

G

Gizmo

"Exile is the closest thing you can come to Swords in the T-2 environment."

In order of goodness...
Last Breath
Afterlife
Topple

Personally I dont think Howlers are the way to go, just sit on that Millstone and churn away.

M

Mars

Quarterfinalist- Mike Pidgeon

Millstone
4x Counterspell
4x Absorb
2x Rethink
2x Daze
4x Wrath of God
2x Rout
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Fact of Fiction