What's the biggest hole in Magic?

B

BigBlue

By that I mean, what abilities or cards are missing from each color? And I don't mean that we should talk about things out of color, ie no White Direct damage, or Green creature removal or good flyers. Please rule out the gold cards as well.

For instance, White has good weenies, and a few fatties but seems to be short on good efficient mid-level creatures, you can get a 1/1 for 1 easilly enough and a 2/2 for 2 easilly enough, but beyond that it'll cost you, 3/3's cost 4 or 5 depending on abilities.

What are some other holes in your view?

B

BigBlue

Funny, I thought I ruled those out directly! :)

Green is not a flying color, which is why Scryb Sprites are gone. I'm thinking in terms of the Pie Chart of abilities. Black has removal and sacrifice, red burn and speed, blue counters and control, ...

I love green, I just don't think it rightfully deserves Flyers. It is supposed to be the color ridden with inefficient pump, mana speed, and phat. With all the growth Green offers, it would be difficult to embrace evasion as well, Flying is the forte of White, Blue, and Black. Make a green 2/3 flyer for 1GG or a 2/2 for 2G, see how it would affect the game. Or better yet a 3/3 for 2GG with flying. I think given the speed with which green comes out it would be very hard to deal with, that creature is out turn 2 sometimes, and turn 3 often. Pair that with fatties and the race is over for most players before it gets started.

An article on mtg.com indicates that W is going to get the Weenie flyers, including a 1/1 flyer for W who's a common in Judgement.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I totally missed the end of your sentence "or good flyers". I was thinking more in terms like red and black lacking enchantment and good artifact removal (well, not red for the latter) or counters for anything not blue, stuff like that.

I agree with green's acceleration ability, putting good flyers out along with ground fatties would probably be bad. I just am tired of having non-flying creature or spell solutions to deal with enemy flyers. I mean, you figure flying can be anywhere. Probably Killer Bees and Cockatrice are the best I'll ever get and I'll have to stick with those.

I think with mid-level creatures, most colors lack good ones besides green. Black usually has a drawback by that time, probably the other two (besides the already mentioned white) have something.

Well, I think white lacks big fatties in general, the last I can remember is some ground guy who you had to either block with first or sacrifice something (land?) to attack. But I'm thinking white doesn't get anything usually over a 5/5. Maybe that's green and black's department.

I don't know, you could argue that because white has first strike and decent stuff in the 2/2 range that it doesn't need mid-level stuff (and that's what Crusade or Glorious Anthem is for). This whole thing can have pros and cons. :)

H

Hetemti

Thinking only of critters...

White: After the Rebelstorms, white's been too week for weenie decks, and it's power (enc/art whacking) isn't worth the deck slots.

Blue: Tricky stuff. Spelljack looks like something fun, but I just don't see it doing anything more than countering or FoFing.

Black: It needs big creatures with drawbacks. (6/6tramp for 3BBB, you may remove a critter you control from the game and lose 5 life to play for BBB instead; for example)

Red: A creature other than FTK. Maybe Threshold Dragon could see a bit of use by tossing six cards and Angst in your yard...but then again, I still like Viashino Cutthroat...

Green: I don't know...I don't play green. How about a better Rushwood Elemental?

Gold: Hasn't been too bad lately, no complaints.

Artifact: One that's worth playing would be nice.

D

Duel

Black: Effective evasion. Since the demise of shadow, and the drop of 1-drops, black's weenies have been chump-food.

Blue: Red Hosers (what can I say, blue's the strongest color.)

Green: 4-drop fatties

Red: Land Destruction

Artifact: They have ARTIFACTS in magic?!?

And the biggest hole:

White: ARMAGEDDON