What's a good price for ...

S

sageridder

... a sealed box of revised?I was at the maul today,and there was a sports card event of sorts.I spot a vender selling magic and other ccgs so I check it out,I pick up a sealed box of odyssey for $70 tax included(which I thought to be reasonable).While looking at other stuff he has I spy a sealed box of revised,It's marked $350 but the guys says I can have it for $300 tax included.I don't play type 1 and didn't have an extra $300 to blow on cards,but I was wondering if I should have snatched it anyway.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Though i'm not sure of the exact price of a box of revised, If i had $300 I'd pick it up. Even if you don't play type 1 revised stuff always makes for good trade fodder.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are they still selling Magic stuff at those card shows? I've seen them but it's nothing like it was back 3-4 years ago. Now it seems it's mostly baseball cards.

I have no idea if $300 is good for a Revised box :) I guess if you were planning to sell the good rares and/or boosters for an inflated price it might be good <shrug>

H

Hetemti

Revised...hmmm...if I had $300 of, say, gift money I had to blow on something, then I'd think about it, then get a Library, Mox Saph, and Mox Ruby.

Just because even the good Revised stuff isn't THAT expensive...Stinkhole, Fork, Doppelgänger, Ring, Wheel, even Nostagia-Queen Shivan Dragon, aren't more than $10 each if you shop around.

Were it Unlimited, I might take my chances.

R

rkoelsch

I would pay $300 dollars for a box of revised. sure you could get some duals but maybe not. what if you get a box with every lace in it and reverse polarity(truly bad card). if i had $300 I buy the dual lands I want and forget the rest. But I already have a bunch of revised so I might not be am impartial opinion.

M

Mikeymike

Personally I don't think its worth it for the same reason Hetemti doesn't, Magically speaking that $300 can be better spent.

In revised the best thing you are going to get are the Dual lands. Almost all of the other power cards in the set have been reprinted and are easy to get ahold of, even the Bad Moons and the Nevy's Disk. The exceptions being Fork, Royal Assassin, Vesuvan Doppleganger and Serendib Efreet (off top of head).

If you compare the number of $6+ cards in revised vs. the number of $6+ cards in Odyssey or Invasion, you'll see that revised doesn't have that many more. But revised is 4x as expensive and 90% of the card pool can't even be played in type 2.

Basically for $300 you are paying for the age and rarity of the sealed box, and for the duals (which you'll proably only get 2-4 of anyway). Don't do it.

I

Istanbul

Let's see.

$300 / 36 packs of Revised = $8.33 per pack.

Now, individually speaking, that IS about what they go for. But then, individually speaking, a box of Odyssey should cost about $120...would you pay $120 for a box of Odyssey? Yeah, me neither.

If you're buying for singles, Revised also doesn't make for a good investment. You're not likely to get $100 of your investment back, and that's if you decide to sell all the good singles.

Unless you're going for a set of Revised, your answer should be a resounding 'no'.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I would pass on the box. At most, you'll get 2-3 dual lands, and a few out of print cards like Clone, Vesuvan Doppleganger and Wheel of Fortune, none of which is really worth the price.

If you have $300 to spend, invest it in some high dollar singles. You'll enjoy them much more in the long run.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Don't spend it on magic you morons...get some CD's or sumthin'! There is more to life than Magic <i think>

B

BigBlue

I'd pass. it isn't even an investment at this point. Also is it Wizards sealed? Back in the day, I recall getting to look at what rares were in each pack by looking through the translucent pack. if it is open, it likely has been gone through and all the good rares aren't there.