What would YOU do?

I

Istanbul

Locally, five years ago, there were four places to play Magic.

GAME CHEST - Store in the mall.
GAMES UNIQUE - Storefront near an apartment complex.
RAMA LLAMA - Comic book store, lots of pros.
HALL OF FAME - Comic/game store, very limited space.

Five years ago, Game Chest moved into a smaller storefront. This cancelled the games. Three places left.

Two years ago, Games Unique closed altogether. Two places left.

One year ago, Rama Llama got bought out and closed. One place left.

Hall of Fame is about a 40 minute drive from me IF it's still open, and its name isn't in the phone book anymore.

I guess this prompts my question...if you were suddenly left without ANY place to find a game of Magic, what would you do?

H

Hetemti

I'd do what I do right now. Nothing.

There is only one store within travel of my college, Mega Comics and Games, and they only run T2.

I )HATE( T2.

In two weeks, I leave college and return "home" where there are no card shops anywhere.

So I do nothing. I don't build decks, I don't playtest. I just let them sit. Okay, I did buy a beat-to-hell Ancestral Recall because it's hard to find 'em as low as $50, but otherwise, I do nothing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Depends how desperate you are for Magic.

Depending on your needs, perhaps make the trip once a month (especially if you've got friends there).

Otherwise, stick to Online and/or Apprentice, or just stop playing.

D

DÛke

Stop playing. Maybe keep collecting. Consider a new hobby.

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm with DÛke and Spiderman.

How important is it to you to continue playing Magic?

In this town, there was no place at all to play except friends' houses for years. One of those friends eventually opened a small shop. We play there now, but for a long time Magic was on very fragile ground here.

Now, you say there is no place to find a game of Magic locally. Do you mean that you also don't know anyone that you can just get together for a game or two once in awhile? If you don't, then do you think you can maintain your interest in the game while keeping it on the back burner, and find other -- more accessible -- things to occupy you. And are you okay with the idea of simply setting your cards aside for now, to be dug out when you do find more people, or possible never dug out at all?

Essentially, decide whether trying to keep up with the game, whether by buying cards or just reading about it online or in magazines, is worth the effort to you, in case you find a place to play in the future. If it is, then you're fine; all you have to do is decide the level of involement and expenditure you're willing to support. If it's not, then you're fine; all you have to do is decide what to do with your cards, and find something else to do.

Either way, own your decision. And good luck.

G

Gobo

some thing around rochester alot of the stores are going out of bussness I guess they are scared that terrorists my want to blow up magic cards.

M

MrXarvox

I live nowhere near a card shop. I haven't bought any cards since I stopped going to school, which was near a card shop. I haven't bought any cards later than a few packs of Planeshift, and those were at the pre-release. I have essentially quit Magic because of its lack of availability to me, but I am still prepared to play at parties and suchlike.

H

Hetemti

Yeah, those Erg Raiders were rumored to be planting Magma Mines and Booby Traps, so the card shop owners Evacuated to a Safe Haven. They'll return as soon as a new Security Detail can be set up and x-ray scanners installed to Unmask any other Anarchists before they can create any more Pandemonium.

I

Istanbul

Sounds like someone's either suffering from Temporary Insanity, or has some False Memories.

D

Dune Echo

Closest shop is 15 minutes away. How many times a month do I go? Never. They play draft or Type II only.

Closest shop that plays 5-Color? 1 hour 45 minutes away (one way). How often do I go? At least once a month if possible. I haven't really bought many cards until Odyssey block came out. Either find a place you like and deal with the drive or don't play at all (except Apprentice).

M

mogg bomber

Almost the exact same thing happened here, when I started magic a few years ago, there were at least 3 or 4 stores around to play at. Then, one by one, they started closing. For a few months last summer, there was actually no place left in this area, luckily it didn't last long. Now there are two places, one which runs weekly tournaments, and one which only does occasional sealed deck games...
I just stopped, I'm not that addicted that I have to play. I actually haven't bought any cards in quite awhile, but I still play in drafts fairly regularly at the remaining comic shop that has scheduled game nights.

D

DÛke

I would love to play Magic again, but between my music and the rarity of some of the cards I need...it becomes more time and money consuming that needs to be.

If everyone gets Apprentice, we could start scheduling dates to play against each other some casul games, with a our own banned and restricted list. It would be a dream come true for me, to be able to play Apprentice against some people in here that I have not played against yet.

Apprentice and real-life Magic are nothing alike, but hey, we would could still get a kick out of playing the game...and I haven't played against Istanbul yet, and I've known him for almost 3 years...what a shame.

If Apprentice wont do, Magic Online may solve the problem. I have never considered buying it. However, if enough members here are really serious about buying it, I would buy it...and start an online collection too.

H

Hetemti

Originally posted by Istanbul
Sounds like someone's either suffering from Temporary Insanity, or has some False Memories.
I couldn't Recall for sure, but a Frantic Search revealed that I may need to Rescind some of the details, or risk putting someone under Duress, causing them to Fear certain creature types, leading them to unjustly Invoke Predjudice.

The last thing we need is a Holy War that'd cause Panic to spread like Wildfire and lead to Engineered Plagues and other acts of Impatience and Reckless Abandon.

It's a pity the Peace Talks failed, but I guess things never go right when you leave it up to Ashyn Beaurocrats.

E

Elrond

I agree with the majority of what's been said here, if it's important enough to you find a place and deal with the drive.

Luckily for me there's a shop thirty minutes away from my house, and that's actually a short distance for where I am considering it's fifteen minutes to Wal-Mart. So when I go home for a couple of weeks from college I play then, I still haven't gotten around to finding a place to play here at college, but I will eventually.

Duke- I think your idea for getting together on Apprentice is cool, and would be interested in doing it, even though I haven't actually played a game online against anyone yet.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, I assume at least some people went to the stores when they were open, right? Try to track them down and just make a play group. Thats what I do.

I really disagree with Spiderman, Chaos Turtle, and Duke. Why stop doing something you love just because it isnt easy to do so? That is, assuming you enjoy the game...

J

Jigglypuff

I'd love to get on Apprentice and play. I think that's a great idea.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apprentice might be good but I'm only limited to weekends pretty much, which in turn is limited by what else is going on.

Originally posted by FoR
I really disagree with Spiderman, Chaos Turtle, and Duke. Why stop doing something you love just because it isnt easy to do so? That is, assuming you enjoy the game...
Easy, because at my age, I'm a bit more picky with who I play with. I'd rather play with people I know who aren't packing the latest killer deck and who I know I'll have a good time with. And only one of those friends remain. There's a WOTC store 15 minutes away that has draft or Magic night, but it's usually on a Friday or weeknight and I usually have other things to do. Magic is merely one diversion out of many, and if I have a group of friends who would rather play Pictionary or Battle of the Sexes or Liar, Liar, I would rather go for that than a card game that would take the whole night to explain (and is not really appealing to the opposite sex anyway, at least the ones I hang out with right now).

Basically, it's trying to decide stuff that couples can play, not singles.

B

BigBlue

I'd find out what other people did.

You must have magic junkies as friends right? :)

Open a shop yourself? :)

Or you could just look at your now completely worthless cards since you have nowhere to play, box them up, and send them to me. My Address is . . . :)

You could start hanging out around High Schools, look for impressionable young kids who likely play magic and ask them where they play. :)

All Valuable suggestions I'm sure. :)

I

Istanbul

I tracked down most of my old play group.

They sold their cards and quit.

This doesn't bode well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, like others have said, if you're prepared to meet new people, you can go to the shop or keep playing Online until it goes Gold.

Me, I'd probably do the latter if I had the time but keep my physical cards in case anyone decides to get back in or I meet someone through some other basis and it turns out they're into Magic also.