What will happen to Magic?

D

Daenen

This is kind of a rant, but I would still like your opinions on this topic.

What is going to happen to Type 2?
October, which is only 5 months away, hails the coming of a new set, Invasion. By all accounts and rumors, this is going to be a broken set. But, what will happen to Type 2 after Urza's Block rotates out? Let's name all of the deck types that are based around cards in Urza's Block:

Stompy - Rancor (don't deny it. Rancor is the Life's blood of this deck)
Wildfire - Wildfire, all the Acclerated Mana
Acclerated Blue - Morphling (The greatest creature ever created)
Bargain - (Can't say I'm too sorry to see this go)
Replenish - (I won't cry when this goes either)

And how many other decks in Type 2 will be seriously hurt by the passing of our beloved Urza's Block?
Black Control
Land Destruction
Lackey Sligh
Green Control
Blue Control
Fish
Faeries
Suicide Black

Can you name a deck that won't be seriously damaged by the passing of Urza's Block? I can't. The only deck that comes to mind is

Rebels

However, there is a new Red enchantment, Brutal Supression that should shut that down nicely.

I guess that I'm just depressed about this. Sorry if I'm bringing you down as well.

Daenen

"On my signal, unleash Hell."

"If you find yourself riding alone in a green field with the sun in your face and the wind at your back, don't worry. You're in Elisia, and you're already dead!!"

-quote from the best movie out so far this year.

A

arhar

Yeah that's true

All the decks that were based on the Urza's Block will leave, and Rebels will lose only a Mother of Runes. But didn't the same thing happens with every block passing? No one plays Survival, or Cursed Sligh, or Hatred right now in Type 2, because, well, duh.

I personally think it's a good thing. The new deck ideas will rise, and people will play something different. You can't expect any deck stereotype to have new cards printed in every set just to sustain it. Creativity was always the biggest part of Magic.

Maybe someone will finally play Mercenaries?

Oh, and on a side note, although I think Land Destruction will be the biggest deck, Brutal Suppression won't really hurt rebels with Disenchant, Seal of Cleansing, and Abolish :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Although I don't really play in tourneys and keep up with the deck types, I have to agree with arhar in general in that decks come and decks go. I'm sure someone out there longs for the return of Vise Age :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I see things improving dramatically once "combo-riffic" Urza's block rotates out. All that is currently evil in the game is embodied in that set (well, almost all ;)), and I, for one, will be glad to see it go.

Only now you're saying Invasion will be broken too? :confused: (I seem to be using this emoticon way too much lately!)

Jeez. I hope not. But I understand how you're feeling. I've been there myself a few times over the years, and all I can tell you is the same thing arhar and Spiderman pointed out, that the game will go on. You're right though, that there may be a lack of alternate deck types for a while, till people figure out the best broken combos. Give it a month or 2 (and/or a PT or 2) after Invasion's release, and you'll see some new things...

Let's just hope we'll like what we see! :D

G

Gizmo

What will happen to Type2?

Probably exactly the same thing that happened when IA Block took out Necropotence, TurboStasis, CounterPost, BlinkyBind and ErnaGeddon.

Probably exactly the same thing that happened when MiViLite took out Fireblast Sligh, 5cGreen, ProsBloom, Altran Beatdown, Donais5cU, OphiBounce, and EmpyrialWWeenie.

Probably exactly the same thing that happened when Rath Cycle took out Cursed Sligh, Hatred, Draw-Go, CounterOath, Living Death, Counter-Phoenix.

Which is we all start again and find new decks to play, while old classics just find new spells to play with. This sort of thing happens every twelve months, get some perspective.

G

Gizmo

"Invasion will be broken..."
And you know this because you are sleeping with the lead designer?

Rumours are rumours are rumours.

I`ve heard a rumour that Invasion will only be red spells (I haven`t, but let`s see how many people I can get to believe me).

A

Apollo

I read in a TopDeck (ugh) that some playtester said something to the effect of "this is the best set we have ever playtested." But this could mean many things. They could be referring to it not having anything that will dominate. Or they could be saying that everything is strong without anything truly broken, so it will create the best environment ever. Or they could be referring to it being full of broken cards, as you seem to think. There is no way to tell for sure at this point, but I wouldn't say that it's full of broken cards at this point, unless of course you are sleeping with the lead designer.

Apollo

M

Mr_Pestilence

I have to disagree about Brutal Suppression. It looks like it could be devastating, but the problem is that its an Enchantment. Any decent Rebel deck will have main deck Disenchants, or a Devout Witness to deal with Enchantments.

The situation is much worse for the Mercenaries. Green's Root Cage or White's version of Brutal Suppression totally hoses Mercs, and they might as well scoop.

This is starting to sound like a broken record, but what Red needs is Anarchy - no targeting, no protection from Red, no preventing damage, just scoop all your White permanents and place them in the graveyard.

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

I have to agree with Spiderman, especially after seeing Urza block, and on a different tangent, Masques Block (Pale Moon? How Is that EVER useful??)

D

Daenen

Guys, I wasn't b*tching about the rotation of the decks. I know and accept the fact that the blocks rotate once a year. I don't care. That's not what I'm bitching about. When Urza's block rotated in two years ago, how many deck types sprang up? A lot. There are more distinct deck types in Type 2 right now than there have ever been. Do you realize that there are about as many Type 2 deck types as there are Extended deck types? Pretty scary, huh.

This is the purpose for my rant:

How many decks will be left after Urza's Block leaves us?

Black Control
Mother May I? (Counterspells and stuff)
Land Destruction
White Weenie/Rebel White

Thats not a lot, now is it?

What I'm asking for is some help coming up with new deck types after Urza's block rotates out. If any of you have an MBC6 deck out there that dominates the board, share it with us.

Thank you for your time.

Daenen

I

igfett

why do i continue to see mbc6 everywhere? it is usually in reference to masques block constructed, so what is the 6 for? 6th edition isn't legal in that format. if you mean post urza's block type 2, then invasion will also be in there. at no point will urza's block and invasion both be out of the environment while 6th is in. there is no way to predict the dominant decktypes for post invasion type 2, as invasion will bring more than 300 cards into the environment. there was no way to predict academy or jar before urza's block came out, and they were certainly the best decks in the begining. it would be impossible to say WW would be good again before masques block. white had become the worst color in type 2. there is no use mapping what will be the "best surviving decks" after urza's is gone, because there will surely be at least a few good decks that exist purely because of cards that invasion brings to the environment, especially if it is as broken as people seem to think it will be. now, it is OK to say what the best mbc decks are, since masques block constructed is coming up soon, and all the cards for that format have been printed. am i correct in assuming that the 6 is for 6th edition?

F

FoundationOfRancor

No see, I play MBC6 jsut to play it. I find current type II boring rigth now (Please no flames :) Just my opinion) So i play with MBC + 6th edition.

S

Seeker of Truth

Daenen:

Are you implying that Stompy will no longer be a viable strategy simply because Rancor is leaving? Granted that there won't be as many cheap green creatures, nor will there be a mana engine in place with cards like Priest of Titania and Heart Warden and Gaea's Cradle, but with cards like Skyshroud Ridgeback, River Boa and Llanowar Elves still legal in the aftermath, along with Wild Might and Vitalizing Wind in Prophecy, I think green will still be around, albeit maybe in a more Sligh-like form with gradually bigger creatures.

I've read somewhere that LD looks to become a championship-quality deck due to the lack of cheap spells and the rhystic spells in Prophecy. Note that both black and green got a means of LD in Prophecy, and we may be seeing the resurgence of those colors' LD strategies as well.

Plus, you forgot to mention Masticore, which fits into too many decks as a kill card to have managed to escape WotC's Axe of Banning all this time, but will finally exit with the Urza Block.

As for MBC+6 (to satisfy igfett ;) ) environment, I can't say much for new deck archetypes, because I don't play that type too much, but I'm either looking for some kind of mana acceleration in Invasion or a bunch of useless winds and avatars once Urza Block rotates out.

C

Captain Caveman

Will's AnkhTideDjinn deck makes for an interesting and fun
MBC6 deck.

I've been playing around with this environment too. I don't
have anything good but here are a few ideas.

Saber Ants + Earthquake and other fire.(TMA)
Hunted Wumpus + Thrashing Wumpus + Stupor + Monkey Cage
(H. Wumpus + Cage would be fun)
Stampede Diver; Stompy + Tangle Wire
Marogeddon
Birds + Trellis + Cutpurse + Footpad + Rising Waters + Port
Cornered Market Control

All of these ideas are for casual play. In no way am I
suggesting these could be tier one.

Caveman

C

Chaos Turtle

Those of you who've been playing awhile probably remember that Stompy is an old decktype. Why, back in the day, we didn't use creature enchantments, since they were all pretty inefficient. That's why the current version is often called "Stampy" -- it's really just little creatures being boosted by Rancor and Giant Growth, whereas Stompy of the past (and, it looks like, the future) used mana curve, steeper because the inclusion of mana-elves allowed for more mana-intensive creatures.

Prophecy will go a long way toward diversifying deck types, both now and especially after Invasion rotates the Saga block out. For Stompy specifically, we have been given the excellent Silt Crawler and stompalicious Mungha Wurm. The Wurm, along with Darba and Thresher Beats...er, Beast, form the Triumvirate of Mana-Efficient Monsters for the set, and it will be interesting to see which Stompy-players will prefer, as well as which will inspire their own decktypes and variations on past themes. Mungha-Geddon and Thresher-Geddon with both almost certainly make an appearance. The Thresher can also be expected to be tried out in Land-denial decks, whether the 'Geddon version or a Plow Under/Fallow Earth beast sporting Tangle Wires, or even a classic-style green/red landkill deck, with Thresher Beast taking over the position of The Kill Card from the departing Argothian Wurm.

Look, that's a variety of workable deck ideas just from less than a half-dozen cards from the new set, so as far as the decline of Magic goes...I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Later.

L

Lythand

Hell, with just prophecy comming out I think we will see the rise of some new decks. Improvemnet on ones in existence (Tanglewire). And some to make a comeback. I am currently working on a controle white green based off the old Ermaggedon deck. With mageta the lion and a few others, I think this deck can once again pack a punch