What Tournament formats do you still play in?

Which Tournament types do you regularly participate in?

• Classic (Type 1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extended

• Standard (Type 2)

• Sealed/Pre-releases

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Friday Night Magic

• None.

• Total voters
B

BigBlue

I'm wondering which Tourney's the CPA'ers still play actively, in either a casual store environment or a DCI sanctioned event. I added Friday Night Magic because it is usually interesting.

R

rkoelsch

I don't know how regular is regular but when I get a chance I play at the FNM at a local card shop. It is always Standard.

B

BigBlue

Around here FNM is Draft once a month and sealed once every other month, standard the rest of the time.

I used to love Arena, although I don't think it's still around. Once in a while I do FNM, but it is rare anymore, only when they draft and when I get there. They like to start AT 5pm to finish in a reasonable time and that makes it impossible when you work til 5-5:30.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've done the last two Prereleases. Those kind of things are probably the extent of my tourney experiences (especially since they're usually all-day affairs).

R

rkoelsch

Mine starts at 6pm and I also work til 5- 5:30. If I am going I will call when I leave work. They don't usually start right at 6 which is helpful. There is usually a booster draft afterward that I participate in. I liked arena a lot and especially liked Vanguard.

B

BigBlue

Vanguard was cool, I liked the Booster League they had around Mirage, where you'd draft against your opponent and keep the cards until your next match and do it again. The cards got really worn, but it was a lot of fun.

P

Purple_jester

That includes Prereleases. I suck at draft. I'm too nice. I'm the kind of person who goes, "Oh, you're drafting black? Here, let me pass this Braids to you..."

I like sealed. Everyone starts out at about even. You try to make do with what you have, and you win some and lose some. All in all, a lot of fun, and you get to add to your card stock. The post-game trading is especially fun.

G

Gizmo

PJ - thats exactly how you are MEANT to draft. You stay out of your neighbours colours and pass him good cards for his deck so that he passes you good cards for yours, thus you both emerge from the draft with strong decks and can play off in the final.

N

Nightstalkers

We still have to sneak into all of those pieced together tournies just to get in. don't even get me started about those judges!!!:)
Don't squeel because its all in your head.

T

Turtlewax Joe

every saturday we have a casual tourney...usualy extended, and extended touriens at jeanne's once a month.

Killer Joe

My real answer is: I'll play in all of them except Type I.

My prefrence order is:
  • Standard
  • Block
  • Extended
  • Draft
  • Sealed
  • Casual is amongst the above, somewhere

R

Rando

I was wondering what the "still" part was all about as well.

I play FNM each and every Friday, which at my local shop alternates Standard, Standard, Sealed, Standard, Standard, Draft and so on.

Sometimes, if several of the players at the shop are going to that weekends PTQ, we'll play in whatever format that is, be it Extended, Block or what ever.

I also try to get to every PTQ and pre-release I can, but it's not always easy when you have 16 other hobbies and a life outside of Magic. (Team AWWAJALOOM forever!...guess it should be in my sig., but I don't usually have a sig. on message boards.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Still" applies to me, at least. I used to go to a couple of Standard tourneys, back when it was called Type II. Now I can just go to the Prereleases.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I play any format that I have the cards for. I prefer type 2, because the environment is so fresh, though.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Neo_Keo

I now play magic Casual more then ever because due to the shear fact that I see to many magic cards in one week to describe and I jsut want to have fun. By the way who here likes hoola hoops? me I never did learn to use it. Nasty little things though

W

Wonka

Usually I play standard, because its probaly my favorite one out of them all and Im probaly better at it to. Every once in a while I draft and play extended(only when extended season comes). Usually I never finish below 2nd place at local Type tourneys where I play.

W

Wonka

Last week I tried something new. I played a Sligh deck. i went 3-1. Lost to a scrub that built a anti red- anti black white weenie deck. This week went 3-1. Lost to YJ. Made mistakes that cost me the 3rd game.