What is your opinion on Gotcha?

What is your opinion on Gotcha?

• It is well balanced. It is fun to play with and against.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is well balanced. It is fun to play with, but not against.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It is well balanced. It is fun to play against, but not with.

• It is well balanced. It is neither fun to play with nor against.

• It is not well balanced. It is fun to play with and against.

• It is not well balanced. It is fun to play with, but not against.

• It is not well balanced. It is fun to play against, but not with.

• It is not well balanced. It is neither fun to play with nor against.

• Total voters
E

Ephraim

I'm considering composing a letter to Mark Rosewater concerning Gotcha. Obviously, he receives a lot of mail from players who like or do not like various aspects of Magic. Therefore, I'd like to have a little bit of data before I approach him. It is my opinion that Gotcha may have been a serious mistake in Unhinged. It is a Spike mechanic in a set that is supposed to be dedicated to goofy fun. I haven't been able to play with it much, but I've determined it's one of the most frustrating mechanics ever.

IMPORTANT: I have posted the same poll at The Mana Drain's forums. If you are a reader there and have already responded, please DO NOT respond a second time.

For the record, my vote on this matter was "It is not well balanced. It is fun to play with, but not against." I happen to be a Spike player, so my first reaction to Unhinged was, "How can I break these cards in competetive Peasant Magic?"

J

jorael

I voted "they are not balanced but fun to play with and against".

Even when they make my opponent do broken things when I'm not focused enough (and scratch my face, say a specific word) it still amuses me.

D

DarthFerret

Ok I voted that It was balanced, and it was fun to play with and against. My reasons are as follows.

This "Gotcha" ability seems to me, no more complicated, or "broken" as phasing, Legendary type, or numerous other aspects that have been added to the game since its initial draft. I like the fact that it keeps a person concentrating on what they are doing, instead of other unimportant events surrounding the game area. Now this is just a response considering tourney play. As for casual play, as I have stated in other threads, I think pretty much anything goes. It is casual, and winning and losing should not be nearly as important as having fun. It is kinda like a magic version of the age old drinking game "Quarters". I wonder if that is what R & D was doing when they came up with the idea. And if so, which one was ThumbMaster?

Plus, since it seems to me that this is not even a "Block" type format expansion set, it will probably be restricted solely to Unhinged cards.

Plus, things like "Gotcha" and turning things into 1/1 chickens are what gives us smart-OINK players a lot of good ammo!

(Right Oversoul??)

E

Ephraim

I suppose I should explain why I think it's not fun. In the games I've seen where Gotcha! has been present, players have preferred not to speak at all than to risk triggering a Gotcha! Certainly, casual games are more about having fun than about winning or losing, but even in casual situations, it's appropriate not to willfully give your opponent an advantage. Whent Gotcha! is being played, the best way to do this is not to speak, which totally ruins a casual setting. The alternative is to suffer at the hands of the players who have no qualms about taking advantage of other people's unwillingness to be silent.

C

Chaos Turtle

The problem isn't the "Gotcha" cards, it's the players who are taking them way too seriously.

D

DarthFerret

Here Here CT. I think it is funny as hell, and adds that interesting twist of who is paying attention. <snicker>

C

Chaos Turtle

Frankie Peanuts is having a similar issue. Pepole are trying to come up with the most ridiculous twisted-logic questions.

But as for Gotchas, I think half -- or maybe even as much as four fifths -- of the fun is trying to communicate without saying the "gotcha" word.

"Your attempt at legerdemain has been nullified."

"Nevertheless, my army of monsters attacks." *Uses a pencil to turn his creatures sideways.*

"Well, I decline to block. Now what?"

"Your score is reduced by an amount identical to the quantity of digits on your left hand, plus the number of eyes you have."

"Not so fast, I'll play *this* card and staunch the loss of those points by a pair-and-a-half!"

"Big deal, I --"

"GOTCHA!"

"Argh!"

"Mwhuahahaha!"

"GOTCHA!!"

"Oink!"

...and so on...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I am not a big fan of Unhinged (I was expecting it to be as good as Unglued). I REALLY like Duh! though...

Anyway, I don't remember the exact text of the cards I saw with this "Gotcha" ability, but it seems like a somewhat fun thing to me. If you're willing to sit back and think just as much as you talk, then you're not going to get caught in the Gotcha trap very often... :p

T

train

Voted... I think it is very unbalanced - only because of the abuse it causes - if someone is playing something according to the rules, or even reading some rules text - you can use this ability... that actually abuses the rules if they ever are being "used" in the games - and most of the time they are...

(I can't think of all the gotcha words - but they are there...)