What happened?

• Thread starter Seeker of Truth
  • Start date
S

Seeker of Truth

:confused:

After I posted my "New Member! Well, not really..." thread, I seemed to have been locked out of the forums until just now. I could log in, and the screen would show that I logged in, but then I couldn't log out, post, or change my profile.

I think I recall that new members had some kind of a "waiting period" to go through before they could start posting, but I didn't know that inactive members returning to the site had to do that too. Is this normal procedure for members that haven't been active for a long time, or was it something with my computer? Since it seems to have passed, it doesn't really matter much, but I guess I would like to know what happened.

Thanks for your help! :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea. I haven't really heard of this happening. The only thing new members had to wait for was to change their nickname; they could post right away and everything.

Maybe Ed has some ideas...

S

Seeker of Truth

Hmm...I thought the problem was done, but it seems it's still happening. I have to log in several times before I'm finally able to post, etc. The first couple of times my name appears on the "Logged In" list, but it's as if I haven't really logged in.

Anyone else have this problem?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Other things I can think of:

Are you cookied?
Are you going through a proxy server or firewall?

S

Seeker of Truth

Well, I managed to check my options, and I had had the auto-login feature turned off, so I switched it on, but it didn't seem to help at all.

As far as I know, I am not using a proxy server or a firewall, unless it's built into the ISP I'm using, which is doubtful. This is my own computer, so it's not part of a network.

This is just really weird. I had all kinds of trouble logging in at about midnight, my time, including several instances where it would actually let me start doing things that you can do when you are logged in, then tell me that I'm no longer logged in. Then, I try back at around 12:45 AM or so, and I get in on the first try, without any "kick-outs".

Do you think it would help if I just started all over with a new screen name and profile? I don't really want to do that, but it's kind of difficult to respond to posts when I can't log in all the time. :(

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I know that the administrators of this site are doing a very good job for everyone, so thanks in advance if we can figure out why this is happening. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have no idea. I assume Ed hasn't seen this since he hasn't commented; maybe you can PM him directly about it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure your cookies are turned on, I mean, set up your browser to accept them. If they're not being accepted I could see how you might be having problems. Other than that I have no idea.

Mike? :confused:

S

Seeker of Truth

Well, I haven't really been having this problem too much recently, so I think that maybe whatever it was that was causing the problem is fixed now.

Thanks for your help.