What about Fading counters?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by GreenGiant, Apr 12, 2000.

1. GreenGiant New Member

Well I had a debate with my friend about fading. And well my friend laided a 5/5 creature (cant remember the name) with 2 fade counters on it. Well we played till the 3nd turn and well i told him during his upkeep that his creature was dead yet he said that he can take them off any way he wants. Well should it be dead or wait till the next turn??
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

It was probably Blastoderm (green 5/5, can't be targetted, fading 2).

The only way to remove Blastoderm's counters (without another card) is at the beginning of its controller's upkeep. When that time comes, if there no fade counters on it, it is sacrificed. Note that this will be the upkeep which began with no fade counters on it, not the one when the last one was removed.

I don't understand what you friend might have meant by "he can take them off any way he wants."
  3. GreenGiant New Member

4. FoundationOfRancor The Gunslinger

And whats up with the triggering effects here? If I have a tangle wire out do I take off a counter and tap my stuff or tap and then take off counter?
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Rancor...
    In that case, it's your choice. You choose the order you beginning of Upkeep effects go on the stack.
    Naturally, you would put the Fading ability on after the "tap yer stuff" ability, so the removal of the counter happens first, meaning you won't have to tap as many permanents.
  6. Apollo Bird Boy

The Blastoderm (if that's what it is) has fading: 3. It will die on the fourth upkeep after it comes into play. It doesn't die whent the last counter is removed, it dies if it has no counters at the beginning of his upkeep. I *think* that answered the question...

Apollo

[Edited by Apollo (04-14-2000 at 06:39 PM).]