Ward Churchill

• Thread starter TheCasualOblivion
  • Start date
T

TheCasualOblivion

The news stories I've been hearing are basically:

1. Ward Churchill, a left wing professor at the University of Colorado wrote a book or essay referring to the 9/11 victims as "little Eichmans," a reference to Adolf Eichman, architect of the Holocaust during WWII. Also he referred to the terrorists who comandeered the planes as "combat teams."

2. He was due to speak at Hamilton College, and a local reporter wrote a story about his previous writings.

3. The story broke wider, led most likely by Fox News. Bill O'Reilly has done a lot with the story, and gave his audience the information necessary to contact Hamilton College.

4. A wide public outcry against his comments follows. Hamilton College initially defends Churchill, but then cancels the speaking engagement, most likely after the allumni threatening to cancel donations.

5. Ward Churchill resigns from a chair he held at the University. The governor of Colorado has called for him to be fired, and the legislation voted to denounce his writings. The board of regents of the University of Colorado has been discussing his termination.

Interesting stuff.

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, usually I'm no big fan of Leftys spouting nonsense or trying to make the terrorists look like martyrs (or anything good for that matter - they're murderers, plain and simple). However, there is a wonderful thing we have in this country called The First Amendment. It allows you to say whatever you want (within reason, of course) and more importantly, it allows the rest of us to react to it in any way we want (provided it's equally responsible). This is just silly.

I think that O'Reilly handled this pretty well and was actually being quite fair w/ the issue. I like the fact that he gave info for anyone watching his show to contact Hamilton College so that they can voice their opinions on this. I really hope that Churchill is allowed to at least keep his teaching job or else it will set a nasty precedent that anyone in his kind of position can be terminated if he says something that the "all-knowing-media" doesn't approve of...

-Ferret

"I met Geraldo last week! He looks old."

T

train

there was a big discussion on the TTU campus here about this whole thing... Basically you can do this... in certain areas of campus...

it even brought back to life a student suing the university for infringing on his free speech rights, and believe it or not the university lost the suit...

I think an appeal is pending... I'll have to check...