Want to drive people crazy in a multiplayer game?

D

DarthFerret

I have a deck that all of my regular people now refuse to play against. It took a long time to get all of the cards that I needed, but was worth it. My first premise was I wanted to go creatureless. The second was I wanted all permanants. Thus the following Enchantment Artifact deck was born.

Lands: (14)

(I wish I could just put 10 dual lands + the 4 deserts but I dont have them anymore)

2 City of Brass
4 Deserts
1 Taiga
2 Elfhame Palaces
2 Shivan Oasis
1 Costal Tower
1 Salt Marsh
1 Urborg Volcano

Artifacts: (29)

4 Lotus Petals
2 Mox Diamonds
2 Marble Diamonds
2 Charcol Diamonds
2 Fire Diamonds
2 Moss Diamonds
2 Sky Diamonds
3 Sol Rings (Obviously just for CASUAL play..lol)
1 Bloodstone Cameo
1 Seashell Cameo
2 Tigereye Cameos
2 Zuran Orbs
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Meekstone
1 Juntu Stakes
1 Storm Cauldron

Enchantments: (25)

1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Seal of Doom
1 Seal of Fire
1 Seal of Removal
4 Sterling Groves
2 Manabarbs
2 Sunken Hopes
2 Overburdens
2 Arcane Laboratorys
1 Mana Breach
2 Tainted AEthers
2 Dark Suspisions
1 Spirit of Resistance
1 Planeswalker's Mirth
1 Planeswalker's Fury
1 AEther Flash

You need to be careful with the combos, some will contridict themselves, and you will probably not win (usually due to everyone else ganging up on you) but you will have a lot of fun with it, at least I have!

K

Killerbob

You need to be careful with the combos
Could you please explain some of the combos? Theres a lot of cards there...
What does nevinyrrals disk combo with???

D

DarthFerret

The disk itself is not really part of any combos. It is mainly used as a scare tactic and a way to draw out a counterspell when I have something else I really want to get out. Of course, the added bonus is to clear the board if I get overrun with too many weenie creatures.

Combo #1: (the obvious one)

Any and all of the mana producing artifacts, and the Manabarbs.

Combo #2: Sunken Hopes, Overburdens, Mana Breach, Tainted Aether/and or Aether Flash:

Keeps the creatures off of the board while limiting the amount of land your opponent has on the board.

Combo #3: Arcane Laboratory, Dark Suspicions:

Keeps your opponents hand size larger than yours, as long as yours is smaller when you cast Arcane Lab. (Using Sunken Hopes, Mana Breach and Overburdens can actually increase thier hand size when used in conjunction with this combo). Having Zuran Orb in play will let you sac your land (if you got enough artifacts out) to gain life (always cool) and to keep your hand size down by not having to bounce a land every time you cast a spell.

There are Three win conditions that this deck will primarily produce.

#1 (most common): Death by Dark Suspicions. Using the Sterling Groves to search for it also, and by using the mana producing artifacts to cast (so you don't have to bounce land to your hand, because you don't have any to bounce) gives you 6 chances to pull it out of the deck. Plus your opponent will weep when you pull two and put another Groves out so they cannot be disenchanted or otherwise targeted!

#2 (harder to accomplish, and usually only when your opponent gets frustrated): Death by Manabarbs. As long as your opponent does not have mana producing artifacts, or golbal enchantment destroyers (such as tranquility) they will be taking damage when they cast, and you wont be!

#3 (hardest, because it relies on one card of which there is one copy, but can be searced for with a Sterling Grove if needed) Planeswalkers Fury. With the Sunken Hopes and the mana shortages, your opponent should have a pretty full hand(more than you) and a lot will be higher costs (because of the mana shortage). This will take some manuvering, but using this ability at least twice a turn, should reduce your opponent to 0 in 4-8 rounds, (provided you can avoid finding all the land you bounced back to his/her hand with the overburdens and the mana breach).

One last thing, this deck relies on keeping most of the cards in play, so I usually will try to be patient and keep one Sterling Grove in play at all times, waiting on sacrificing it until i get another one in play! Having most of the cards in play and them being mainly enchantments, means that you have a lot of effects going on all the time, not just when you play spells. It can be a bit confusing, and sometimes a turn (mainly opponents turn) can take a while due to bouncing creatures, land, and such. But this is a really fun deck to play, albiet, frustrating to play against!

If there are any other questions on how to play this deck, I will be happy to answer them as completely as I can! This may seem a bit complicated, but keep in mind it took me about a year to perfect it to what it is today. My bestfriend (faith_fortune) caused the start of this deck by claiming I could not build a deck to use Manabarbs effectively. Now she refuses to play against this deck more than once a month. Claims it gives her a headache! :D

D

DarthFerret

In one stage of the deck building process, I tried using powersurge, but, it never seemed to work properly because most of the cards are bouncing lands back to thier hand, or the creatures, so that they are able to use the mana. At least that was my experience with testing, but it could also be due to the types of decks I was testing against. I do not have very many players here (at least players that I want to play with, due to an age factor), so my choices on deck testing are kind of limited.

Most of the people around me that play are under the age of 16 and dont use a lot of stratagey when playing, thus I try not to play with them and take advantage of the fact that:

a. I have older and more powerful cards than they do.

b. I use a lot of stratagey when I play, vs. just Beat-Down

c. It annoys me to see Magic cards/decks sitting right next to Pokemon cards/decks!

d. I dont want to put up with the sniveling brats!...(just kidding, lol)

D

DarthFerret

That is what I try to tell people. When I first started playtesting, we were all even. But once the Arabian Nights expansion came out, and I was too broke (and stupid) to buy any cards, I started loosing a lot. It took me about 3-4 months of losing before I found my niche (blue). Taught me a lot about timing, counterspells, etc.....

But most people nowadays dont want to wait to start winning. I always tell everyone that I teach how to play, "Be prepared to lose your first 30 games, because you will not learn anything if I hold back!". I also try not to play my serious power, or complicated decks against them.

Well, not more than twice anyways....:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, it goes both ways... some people pick up and understand the game "right away" and can win against people who've been playing for a while... so those long-time players have to lose graciously also...

D

DarthFerret

I spent a lot of time losing, in the begining. In fact I look forward to losing a game most of the time, because I generally learn something from each loss that helps me become a better player. (Except when the gods of magic are against me and give me no lands....lol)