W/g Parfait in 30 person k12 T1 event

M

Master Shake

The prize was a box of Darksteel and there were about six sets of power sitting around. I was going to play Suicide black, based around Greater Harvester, the deck that is diesigned to deal with control decks by ripping five cards out of my opponents hand on turn one, but looking around, I was seeing far too much aggro that the deck could not deal with, so against all better judgement, and everyone's advice, I played W/g Parfait. my build looked a little something like this:

Lands:
4x Wasteland
5x Forest
11x Plains

The Kill:

1x Test of Endurance
1x Words of Worship

Green:

1x Abudence
3x Sylvian Library

Gold:

1x Sterling Grove
1x Mirari's Wake

White:

1x Balance
1x Enlightened Tutor
1x Moat
1x Humility
1x Karmaic Justice
1x Planar Birth
2x Argivian Find
2x Orim's Chant
3x Aura of Silence
4x Land Tax
4x Abeyance
4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact:

1x Soldevi Digger
1x Zuran Orb
1x Sol Ring
1x Mindslaver
3x Scroll Rack

If I am off by one card, it was probably a land.

Here is a run down of the deck choices:

Karmaic Justice - A last minute deck addition for naturalize, Disenchant, Land D and Powder Keg

Aura of Silence - Shuts down Artifacts and Enchantments, makes me happy.

Abeyance - I expected to see Dragon... It was not even present, but Abeyance is good in itself.

Swords - The life gain is pointless as I am not dealing damage.

Land Tax/Scroll Rackl - A beautiful draw engine

Zuran Orb - Helps fuel a beautiful Draw Engine.

Abudance/Sylvian Library - Another beautiful draw engine, and works well with Scroll Tax.

Moat - Moat kills aggro.

Humility - Humility Kills Aggro and MUD.

Words of Worship/Test of Endurnace - I thought to myself: What would be the most annoying way to win... Words of Worship! of course! I used this instead of the ultra slow Sacred mesa. Most people just concede after I pulled off a lock, or once I gained 30 life a turn.

Soldevi Digger- I misused it a few times, but it really came in handy.

Wasteland - A great option, it allowed me to screw over my oppoents who were all ready playing slow due to Land Tax.

I will go over the match ups and deck construction later.

M

Master Shake

So, why did I choose this build?

The hour before the matches started, looking around I saw too much power, some tricks with T1 Affinity (Tinker out a Darksteel Colossus on turn two.) I saw some match-ups with Tog that would have been very good for my Suicide black deck, but they were powered, and that means probably much better able to deal with my tricks then I could with theirs. The decks were either too aggressive or too diverse for my Suicide black to deal with.I tried to include one card for every possible situtation. My sideboard looked like:

1x Story Circle (I exchanged this for Karmaic justice, At the ti I thought it was a bad choice, but looking back it was a good idea, as it only would have helped in one match)
2x Thran Lens (I knew I was going to see Dystopia.)
1x Isochron Scepter
1x Humility
... Now suddendly I can not remember any of it. But anyway.

The Match ups:

Match 1 against Bob with Mono G Land D (Powered)

Game 1:

Game one, he started off strong with a turn one Sol Ring and Ankh of Mishra. He followed up with a Tangle Wire and then wew both went down to 12 from the Ankh. My Land Tax was a mixed blessing. I swords a couple of Terravores. He became discouraged after the Moat came out, and conceded after Humility followed.

Game 2: (No sideboard, This was a very favorable match)

My hand looked good with three plains, a forest, a Steriling Grove, an Enlightented Tutor, and a Swords. I draw into a land Tax. Three turns later Moat hits the table, I pull off the Abudance/Library combo off, drawing into Words of Worship and Planar Birth. Next turn he concedes.

(Interesting Side note, He goes on to take first, beating full powered Iso-Keeper, Powered Tog, and a powered Underworld Dreams deck)

Results after Match 1: 1-0

Match two against Mike with R/u Sligh ()

Game 1:

I had heard about this strange deck that had just beat a kid I know, how it was sligh, but not sligh and went really fast. I saw a Standstill and Lighting Bolt, so I came into the match thinking this was Landstill. I miss played an Enlightened Tutor and did not grab a Moat. He hit me for 4 next turn and burned me for the rest.

Game 2: (No Sideboard, but I should have put Story Circle in.)

My opening hand goes: Plains, Sol Ring, Plains, Moat, Words of Worship, Land Tax, Scroll Rack. He let me Tax/Rack and conceded once I started gaining 15 a turn from Words.

Game 3: (Still no sideboard, I forgot Story Circle was in there.)

I draw into an all right hand, I should have taken six, but he pulls off a strong hand, On turn 5 I would have had Moat , but I did not play Tutor at the end of his turn, next turn I lose to 11 points of damage. Stupid Me...

Results after Match 2: 1-1

Match 3 with Sarah, using Suicide Black (Challice version, unpowered)

Game 1:

Moat and Humility Make this a short one. Mindslaver Seals it.

Game 2: (Side out a Planar Birth and Abeyance, Side in 2x Thran Lens)

Knowing her deck, I side in Thran Lens. My turns go: Land Tax, Scroll Rack, Aura (sac it to kill an inpending Powder Keg), Moat. I pray that she does not have a Dystopia... of course she does. I sac the Land Tax and draw into a Sylvian Library. I play the Sylvian Library figuring that it will give me another turn with Moat... but during my next upkeep (facing a Shade.) I decide to sac the Moat to keep the Library. the top three cards of my deck go:

Aura of Silence
Argivian Find
Thran Lens

Gleefully, I take the Thran Lens, and play it. She does not bother to read the card and ends up losing over 20 life to Dystopia, not realizing that I am not sacing anything until she is down to 10 (a lot of swords.) She plays Planar Void and the game comes down to a five turn count. I can not be decked due to abudance and she has 2 cards life in her library. She comes up with nothing.

Results after Match 3: 2-1

Match 4 against Matt playing T1 Affinity.

Game 1:

He lays a beating on me with Tangle Wire and Karn. He wastes a Force on a Scroll Rack, I play one next turn. Turn 5 he pulls off a Tinker for Darksteel Colossus, end of his turn, it gets swords. I am able to balance, but it manages to save Karn by turning my Scroll Rack into a creature. He gets me down to 8 I lay down a Moat, two Aura's of Silence, and finally Humility I then draw every spell in my deck and go up to 78 to win.

Game 2: (No sideboard)

Very simillar to the first game. He wastes a Force on a Scroll Rack, I play another next turn. Turn 3 he tinkers for Juggernaut (I guess his one DC was in his hand.) I take Five, his turn he plays another, I go to swords one, he plays Echoing Truth on it. Next turn I play balance and screw him down to 2 land. Things went very well for me as I pulled off the Abudance/Library combo, all three Auras, Moat and Humility. He spent the rest of the game playing lands and searching for Washout. The game goes down to a five turn count. I pull it out at the last second with 51 life.

Results after Match 4: 3-1

By far, this was my most challanging match, he was able to get huge mana boosts very fast, it was difficult to keep up with him, luckilly for me he ran out of steam rather quickly.

Top 8 against Dave with Iso-Keeper

Game 1:

I knew coming into this that it was a bad match for me. I play with Dave nearly every week at FNM. The game was long, a lot of stuff was countered and I had nothing presideboard.

Game 2: (Sideboard. Normally I have 4 Null Rods packed in SB, but I let my girlfriend use them, so I was let with 2x Equipose, 1x Dampining Matrix, Ix Isochron Scepter, 1x Titinia's Song, 1x Story Circle Out: 4x Swords, 1x Humility, 1x Mirari's Wake)

We both had bad starts, I lead with a pair of Wastelands, and him with two fetches. I resolved an Equipose because he was in too much of a hury to read it. He lost 4 soldier tokens and an imprint on Isochron to it, I laughed and he just got angry. He went down to 0 cards in his library, had I been able to hold out for a turn things would have gone better.

(Another side note. Bob, playing Mono Green LD came in to defeat Dave.)

Overall, if I had been thinking I could have done a little better, but... I guess that is the way it goes. And not too bad for a deck that everyone said was terrible.