Voting Topics

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this thread to post your suggestions for Voting Topics for our Main page Voting Booth. Your input is welcome, and, in fact, greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If we do go weekly, we might have to put up "dopey" ideas for the booth (which may be all right anyways :) ) so we could ask what they're discussing in the Main forum, whether Desolation Angel is broken.

Or what people think a possible online game WOTC would develop, based on that survey thing.

If we want to stray from Magic, we could ask what online games people play, period.

Basic question: what's their favorite color in Magic (I don't know what other questions have been asked off the top of my head; if this has been asked before, it's could be archived or wasn't saved from the transition)

What type of deck (control, combo, aggro, whatever) people like to play.

Favorite type of limited (sealed, draft (the various ones))

Killer Joe

Sure, but can the options be less subjective and more objective?

I have a suggestion for a voting topic:

"Do you use internet resources for your decks?"
- Always
- Almost always
- Sometimes
- Almost never
- Never

Ya just can't go wrong with a "Likert Scale" :p

My answer: Always

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
For example, how about someone who uses net decks strictly for playtesting purposes, but would never use one in a tourney.

What should they answer? :confused:

How about: "Do You Use Net Decks in Tournament Play?"

We could still use your scale too. BTW, good question man. Thanks. :D

Killer Joe

I always think in terms of "The Big Picture". You see, the question is; Do you use internet resources for your decks <period>. I know the question is intimidating, heck, I'd be afraid to answer truthfully for fear of seeing my true self in a perverbial mirror <I use the internet for my decks ergo I suck for not being original>.
You could give people a way-out in justifying themselves by narrowing it down to "play-testing" purposes, in which case people might be more inclined to answer truthfully (albiet under the guise of "Play-Testing").
You see, the true answer is really in ourselves, "Me, Myself and I" (De La Soul circa 1988). A mature person (age is NOT an authority on maturity) would answer truthfully (Always-my chosen answer for the poll), but another might struggle to come to terms that they use the internet (which really isn't a bad thing at all,....mostly ;) )
We could ask the question:
"Do you use internet resources for play-testing purposes?"
You'd get a flood of "Always" (which would be skewed), because then you've givien the "GO" to be honest, yet, forgiven (because it's all in the name of play-testing :p ).
Ask the tough questions!
"Do you size up your opponent based solely on their appearence?"
I have learned NOT to do that, but even a srcub like me (who should know better than to size up opponents due to age/sex/race/hygene/etc...), has slipped up and sized up some 13 year-old-pimply-pip-squeek as a "LOSER" and have had my arse handed to me 2 games later!
"Have you cheated someone on a trade?"
Not, "Have you ever cheated someone on a trade?" That word "ever" gives the poll taker a way out by saying "yes, but only once" (if that were a choice item).
It gets tougher:
"Have you cheated in a game?"
~or~
"Have you stolen someone elses cards?"
Not, "Have you stolen someone elses cards before ?"
Again, the ONLY ONCE statement is allowed and forgives the poll taker.

Okay, you're right, let's narrow it down to what you said.
<I just can't stand myself sometimes :) >

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You funny YJ...:D

I'm sorry YJ, but I think it does make a difference when you use the net decks, and why.

Maybe a better way to set it up would be to ask:

Do You Use Net Decks?
  • In Tournaments
  • For Playtesting Only
  • I never use Net Decks at All
Is that better? :D

Killer Joe

The question that is being asked (whatever it may be) should be put in a frame of context. I was just asking if they use internet resources. I didn't want to know if it was for play-testing/tournament play or whatever. Too broad of a question for some (too vague, too, since it's not clear as to why the question is being asked).
Your question certainly narrows it down to bit-size informational "Nuggets" (which is about the way the general populace can understand things these days-which is not bad, sorta). And, relavent to most magic players curiosity <hey, I see that others use the "net", too>.
I think we all can benefit from a wide variety of questions posed, and some should be put simply, and some should be thought provoking and some should be *tough* and some should just be silly :p . But whatever the question, it should be very clear to the poll taker what is really being asked. I am very vague in matters of question making, always have been :( . But I know what I want to know. I would like to know if people use internet resources for their decks, not for persecution purposes, but just for the sake of research in human behavior (not Magic-related, I know). I have a theory that 95% of the Magic Community uses internet resources for their decks, I can't prove it (nor will anyone else either) but I want to see what the outcome of the poll would be among those who took the poll. I'd be willing to bet that my findings would be very interesting (of course, this is all based on my theory, not reality).
The questions on the front page SHOULD be tantilizing ones, not drudgery questions like mine, but It would be interesting, if only to me :).

Here's a series of questions that may be more suitable for this whole "Voting Booth" thing:

Do you use "Net-Decks" for tournament play?
Always
Almost Always
Sometimes
Almost Never
Never

Do you use "Net Decks" for play-testing?
Always
Almost Always
Sometimes
Almost Never
Never

Do you use "Net Decks" for Casual play?
Always
Almost Always
Sometimes
Almost Never
Never

Now THOSE are questions that folks can understand and are interested in, I think. I guess I should've posted this first instead of my poor attempt at Psycho Babble :rolleyes: .

BTW, when are you going to change the current question on the front page. Also, what do the results indicate?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, if you asked me whether I use Internet resources, I would have to say yes, but for a much different reason than the reason why "netdeckers" use internet resources.
I play three times a week on ACTIVE weeks, but typically with decks that have existed for years and been changed occasionally.
Most of the decks I post or think about are based on weird ideas that I had. Most of the time, I couldn't make those decks, because they are often rare-heavy. (I haven't been playing long enough to have Varchild's War-Riders, and I've never seen one.)
So I use the Internet for Magic about 90% of the time, but I don't really netdeck.
I also enjoy making up cards, something which I couldn't really do very well anyway.

Part of the reason I don't like generalizations is that they often cause one to overlook cases such as mine.

So try to make questions open to some interpretation, but not too much.

Maybe a question like this for later, although it has probably been asked already:
"What is your favorite combination of two colors?
W/U
W/B
W/R
W/G
U/B
U/R
U/G
B/R
B/G
R/G"
Maybe someone's favorite color is red, but they think Blue and Black work really well together, so they could put U/B or U/R or B/R or whatever.
Questions like these leave some room for personal twist.

Killer Joe

TICM: We ALL can justify using the internet for one reason or another. And none of us thinks it's bad for those reasons. But the perception is; if you use the internet for the soul purpose of constructing your decks, then we somehow have "sold-out". NOT TRUE. It doesn't matter WHAT noble reason you have used the internet, you've used it AND you haven't sold out because there IS no selling-out since the internet is just really the newspaper or some kind of gigantic conversation. It would be very much like going to a convention and asking questions or just listening to people talk, but I'm sure most of us wouldn't deem knowledge from those places as "Selling-out".
You use the internet for decks (regardless of the noble reasons), so what, I use the internet (regardless of the irresponsible reasons), so what, we both and 90% of the Magic community uses it (for whatever reason), so what.
We're just afraid that someone will label us as "Net-Deckers", so what, those that accuse anyone of that is lying to themselves and is probably a "Net-Decker", too. Remember, people persecute others like they do to their inner-selves, a real "Net-Decker" always acvcuse others as doing the same, it makes him feel better about himself for doing so.
The reality of it is, there's nothing wrong with using "Internet Resources" for your decks <PERIOD!>.
It's okay, anyone who thinks less of people who do, need to climb back underneath their slimey rock and evolve more :).
TICM, use the internet any you like for your decks (or whatever), it's okay, you don't have to defend yourself. We all use the net for one reason or another.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
When I saw "use the Net for resources", I didn't think of Net decks exclusively. I also thought of playtesting via Apprentice, asking people on sites for ideas on sideboards for their own decks, improvements to decks, etc. I don't think it's limited to "Net decks" (the way you guys are describing the use of them).

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But because of my "fears" I wouldn't want anyone to think I'd use a Net deck in competitive play, so I'd opt to not put a vote in on the poll in it's "all-inclusive" state.

I guess I'll go crawl under my rock now, and evolve some more...:mad:

M

Mundungu

I got a question :

How do you find the trend to nickname decks after name of cereals (like trix or frutty peebles)

1) Great
2) Witty
3) why not ?
4) plain stupid
5) no opinion

Killer Joe

That certainly wasn't my intention. I will start a thread on this matter in the CPA Issues Forum.

[Good idea...we'll talk in there - TomB]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TomB: I'm not sure I understand your "fears", but maybe you're explaining them in this other thread in Issues. :confused:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And I've discovered that perhaps they were a bit unfounded...:eek:

The upshot of all that is this: I posted the original version of YJ's poll on the Front Page today. I suspect we all know how it'll turn out anyway (since he ran a similar poll in the Issues forum already) but for the sake of posterity here it is.

Please keep those suggestions coming...:D

I

Istanbul

What do you think of the new Threshhold and Flashback abilities in Odyssey?

- Wow! These sound great!
- These look pretty good.
- I suppose they're okay.
- They don't look so good.
- Ew! Why would you use these?
- Frankly, I just don't care.

L

Loonook

well... that isnt a really a great poll... there are prolly better polls for the storyline... just my opinion

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And I like Mundungu's idea, and Istanbul's too. Hopefully we'll get more suggestions for after that.

Keep 'em coming guys! :D

U

Urza(Yes I Like Men)

how about we vote on the best creature ever, anybody voting for morphling?? i sure will.