Voted Most Unlikely To Play Magic:

L

Lythand

This is just thread to see what kinds of people play magic. What I mean is the person you would maybe look at and say "Thats not the person I would see playing magic"

I know of at least 3. One is a truck driver I see at my job (I cook for Denny's) He says he plays with his truck driver buddies at truck stops inbetween runs.

The second is an algebra teacher who is a personal friend of mine. He is also a level 1 judge for DCI.

Third is the most unlikly guy i would see playing magic. He is this Big Burly Biker guy who swears and drinks beer with tatoos all over..and he says to me "I play magic." I thought I was going to fall out..hahaha..

But seriously. If you know about people like this that dont seem to fit the magic catagory at first. Tell us about them,

Z

Zadok001

One of the people at my school was a bit 'off' the standard; he's about 6'2", huge, wears leather, etc... Standard punk image. He doesn't play anymore, though (hated 6th), so he doesn't really count.

L

Lythand

Sure it counts. Its just to show that magic players come in all styles..not just the stereo Typical "nerd" image that people always asociate us with.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So far in my experience I have yet to see the "nerd" image. Most of what I see are Gothic, leather wearing, multi-colored, tattoo-covering, rings-out-the-wazoo type crowd.

L

Lythand

Anytime I mention magic in my neck of the woods. They always throw that nerd thing in my face. People around here see them as no life, book reading, glasses wearing, go out and get a life type person. I dont know why. But it happens

F

FoundationOfRancor

I know the "nerd" thing is everywhere. But what most people dont realize is how many angles of the social ladder the game reaches. I think its cool.

K

krichaiushii

Army officers.

It could be intimidating knowing that your opponent has his own company of M1A1 tanks. But then you find out that his being an Armor company commander is just an extension of his entire life of gaming -- Autoduel, AD&D, Battletech, sundry other strategy and tactics games, and now Magic.

(He's the one that taught me the true power of the Urborg Stalker).

C

Cateran Overlord

around me Spiderman, we have nothing of this goth magic playing type thing. All of them play WoD (World of Darkness) games. Most of them avoid the Magic crowd, as they feel we "get too much sunlight" (no joke, one of them said that). The magic group around me doesn't consist of nerds at all. Oh sure, there are a couple of the stereotypical ones, but then there are athletes who play it too. Then the other major group is the whole bunch of our political science group, which heavily overlaps with the athletes for some reason. Go figure :confused:

A

Almindhra

When I think of Magic players, I think of smelly guys...But around here the players are guys with t-shirts, baseball caps, and jeans...And they're not that smelly...Just the tournaments up in Syracuse get to be smelling pretty bad around 3pm...

I'm not the typical Magic player...Obviously I'm female...And I don't dress freaky deaky...No black lipstick and nailpolish...No leather boots...I'm not ultra nerdy...I am a gamer though...And for all the new people, if you haven't seen my pic, go to my webpage on the www link below...

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

I vote myself for most likely not to play Magic. I didn't play Magic, I though it was for nerds. It was an accident my playing Magic. I am not gothic, but not a nerd. If you see me in a TCG store you'd wonder why I even play TCGs since I don't seem to like those kind of stuff.

Other people I've seen: I've seen vampire chicks(they think they're vampires), I've seen leather guys, I've seen hot chicks, yes, at my high school, a senior, graduated 2 years ago, she was darn hot, she wasn't my friend though for personal reasons; you look at her, and you'd think that her best friend was the shopping mall, and her other best friend was credit card man: she looks like the girls that like to shop and drop, like cash, like parties, like everything.

Magic is not for nerds, or for cool people; it's not for a particular group of people. I play it, you guys play it, girls of all kinds play it: the nerdy, the pretty, the cuties, and the uglies.

I play it for one reason now, and that's because I'm only the Guy from the other post :)

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

Magic, like food, should not be rated for a single type of people.
It's a darn game, just like all other games and sports.

I play Magic for fun and only for fun.
You don't see tourneys going around on video games(well there's a couple, but that's not the issue). You don't even want me to start talking about T2 Magic...Not that I'm not open minded, but T2 is not for me at all. Hey, everyone likes something, and I'm the only Guy from the other post :)

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

So you're a female, right? That's cool, I like Magic Bitches a lot these days :)

By the way, you said that when you think of Magic players, you think of all kind of crazy thinks, well, I just want you to know, that you are wrong: I'm a living proof for that.

Hey, Almindhra, I hope I didn't offense you, but I'm only the Guy from the other post.

Z

Zadok001

Shhhhhhhh! Guy from the other post! Do NOT draw attention to that nickname... :) I'm not sure if that's 'acceptable' yet...

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

Sorry then, Almindhra, I didn't mean it. I was just trying to be nice. So don't get fiesty on me, alright? You have to execuse me, I'm only the Guy from the other post.

By the way, Zadok, you can call me Mike if you want to, just to make it easier on yourself :) Heck, anyone can call me Mike, but don't call me any different thing than "the Guy from the other post" or "Mike".

I already said that I'm only the Guy from the other post, so I'm not goning to say it again :)

[Z-A-D-O-K! :) No 'C' of any kind! :) --Zadok001]

[Edited by TheGuyFromTheOtherPost on August 15th, 2000 at 11:23 PM]

A

Almindhra

Feisty?...Me?...Do you actually know me?...;)...And you didn't offend me...I'm not a femi-nazi or anything...And thanks for spelling my name right...

And Lythand, my link is working now...I thought I updated that link a long time ago, but I guess I didn't...

A

arhar

Most unlikely to play Magic?

6 foot something, 250 lbs bouncer at the bar.

And he's quite good.

=)

And I really can't say I know a lot of "nerdy" Magic players here in NY, maybe only at Neutral Ground, but at all the other stores there are "cool" people like ME! Ya dig what i'm sayin' ?