Urborg Drake

F

FoundationOfRancor

Urborg Drake
1UB, Creature — Drake 2/3, Invasion Uncommon
Flying
Urborg Drake attacks each turn if able.
Relentless as the sea, remorseless as death.
Illus. Sam Wood

Ok....am I crazy, or is the only reason this isnt getting played is because theres not enough deck support for it? This is a really good card, right?

M

Mikeymike

Its definitely a pretty card, its got beautiful color balance.

Its never going to be played now b/c Finkel sits in the 3-spot. I tried running it in a U/B Lobotomy deck, it was OK. Would have been better if the deck was any good which it wasn't.

At 3 mana, their are better attacking options out there. If he HAS to attack, he should be doing 3 damage and not 2.

Here are other 3 drops in its colors.

Finkel
Plague Spitter (which just went down a little bit in power)
Phy. Infiltrator (which just does not get the respect it deserves)
Phantom Warrior (and you see how much this gets played)
Temporal Adept
Battlemages (which really aren't 3 drops persay)
Tons of Instants
A few good enchantments

G

Gizmo

I like it anyway, I was always a fan of Erg Raiders, and a flying Erg for 3cc is reasonable. Its important that the deck it goes in is reliably going to be the offensive deck in the matchup, but as a 2/3 creature casting this third turn CAN prevent your opponent from attacking a turn and thus give you the offense even if you are playing second.

Im not a HUGE fan, but I see it as very viable. I think you have to see that there have been no T2 decks that are UB aggro though, so its simply not had a deck to go in. I think its a reasonable creature if you can cast it and are the aggressor.

I played them succesfully in my UBR aggro deck in IBC. They worked out fine alongside Phyrexian Rager as my 3cc drops.

The pressure, though, is that as a 2-power monster that cannot block, he has to go into a deck that is not about all-out assault (power not high enough) and yet will reliably be the aggressor int he matchup (cannot block). Its possible, but that DOES place restraints on the deck. It'd do as a 3cc drop in a UB Fish deck, for instance.

M

Mikeymike

Do you think it'd be worth playing it with Sinister/Unholy Strength?
It also turns a lot of the crappy 1-drops in UB into solid beat sticks.

Technically, you cast the strength on turn 4, leaving 2 (hopefully blue) mana untapped for a potential counter. He is still within FTK range, but a 5 power flyer immediately becomes a threat that your opponent must deal with.

Sinister Strength on a Drake also takes focus away from the really good creatures in the deck.