Unsavory Deeds 2: Benalia Drift [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Back in 2020, I build a lands deck helmed by Torsten Von Ursus. Of course, I had no idea that we'd later get a new version of Torsten, one that actually makes sense as the commander of a land-themed deck. Continuing my gradual progress on eventually building EDH decks helmed by every one of the original 55 legendary creatures and every one of the 20 "legends retold" from last year, here's the sequel to "Unsavory Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." All my best cards for a lands deck are already in my Titania deck, and I'm keeping that deck together for now, so this one has to make due with what I could find in my collection.

Commander:
1 Torsten, Founder of Benalia

1 Abundance
1 Academy Rector
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
1 Beast Within
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Castle Ardenvale
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Conduit of Worlds
1 Crop Rotation
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Crystal Vein
1 Divine Visitation
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
1 Earthcraft
1 Eldritch Evolution
1 Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines
1 Elvish Reclaimer
1 Emergence Zone
1 Emiel the Blessed
1 Endurance
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Esper Sentinel
1 Eternal Witness
1 Field of the Dead
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Generous Gift
1 Genesis
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Greater Good
1 Harrow
1 High Market
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Karmic Guide
1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Life from the Loam
1 Lotus Field
1 Loyal Retainers
1 Luminous Broodmoth
1 Manabond
1 Marsh Flats
1 Maze of Ith
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mondrak, Glory Dominus
1 Parallel Lives
1 Phyrexian Altar
4 Plains
1 Regrowth
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Reveillark
1 Riftstone Portal
1 Saffi Eriksdotter
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Savannah
1 Seasons Past
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Skullclamp
3 Snow-Covered Forest
3 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Sol Ring
1 Solitude
1 Spike Weaver
1 Splendid Reclamation
1 Spore Frog
1 Springbloom Druid
1 Strip Mine
1 Sun Titan
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sylvan Library
1 Teleportation Circle
1 Temple Garden
1 Terastodon
1 Timeless Witness
1 Tragic Arrogance
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
1 Winds of Abandon
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Zuran Orb

1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Finale of Devastation
1 Knight of Autumn
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wayward Swordtooth
1 Yavimaya Hollow

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This deck won its first game, although I wasn't really impressed. Basically, Gaea's Blessing saved my bacon against the mill player, then my creatures won out in combat.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Played another game with this deck. I lost, but I also kinda-sorta threw the game early on by using Enlightened Tutor to fetch a Manabond that I never actually needed for the rest of the game. If I'd grabbed Sylvan Library instead, I wouldn't have been stuck in topdeck mode. My opponents avoided killing my commander, and although I started to build an appreciable board state, I didn't have a way to stop from having my life drained away by a Pitiless Plunder loop that another player set up.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Testing this deck brought me to an awkward conclusion. I find that I often get stuck with no way to kill my own creatures, especially my commander, and am stuck hoping that my opponents will do the job for me. The deck has awesome sac outlets, but they all get put on the bottom of my library by Torsten's ability. So I need more sac outlets, and preferably sac outlets that Torsten will put into my hand instead of back into my library. Well, it just so happens that I just put my only copies of both Diamond Valley and Miren, the Moaning Well in my Otharri deck. Seriously. Oops. At least there's High Market. In fact, High Market is actually superior for my purpose with this deck. I'm adding three more sac outlets, one of them a creature, for good measure. Here are the changes.

-1 Knight of Autumn
-1 Wayward Swordtooth
-1 Bala Ged Recovery
-1 Finale of Devastation
-1 Swords to Plowshares
-1 Yavimaya Hollow
+1 Endurance
+1 Mondrak, Glory Dominus
+1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
+1 Greater Good
+1 Eldritch Evolution
+1 High Market

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
High Market is so good here! Why didn't I think of it earlier? My opponents slowed me down a bit with removal on stuff that scared them, such as Field of the Dead and Crucible of Worlds. They didn't get rid of my Skullclamp or my Parallel Lives, which meant that High Market on Torsten generated an army of tokens and all the card draw I'd need to loop through Terastodon recursion enough times to blow up all their lands. This deck isn't as fast as my Titania deck, but it is more broken once it gets going.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Won another game, with my opponents collectively agreeing to concede. Although I like this deck, has the problem that once it gets going, it takes over games with progressively longer and more complicated turns. So it's a success story, but one that I should probably bring to a close. I was excited to set up Life from the Loam + Manabond engine, but I didn't even really need it. Skullclamp was the boogeyman of this game, but I hardly even used it.