uhh?

X

Xed

UUgghhh!!! I'm kinda new to Magic, but believe I've got a good deck and that I'm pretty good at beating people. (btw my deck consists of starter cards a few from the Nemesis set-- lame deck) Well, I was wrong. I decided to play some other players down at the local comic shop (theses guys are veterens btw) and found out just how wrong I am. First off, I realized now that there are a slew of new rules that don't even apply to the starter decks. Not too mention all the bad ass cards they were whipping out.

So, what I'm getting at is... is.... well, that I've got a lot of playing to do. I like green and blue cards best, but none of my green creatures hold up for more than a turn or two. And all of my blue spells are lame ones (like eyespy and time ebb). So, am I making the wrong color choices or do I just need to get into some better sets? Also, there aren't many people to play around here. I live in ARKANSAS so if anyone is here or near, I would like to test out my lame deck on you.

I guess this was a pointless thread.

N

NorrYtt

You just need to get ahold of some real, tournament legal cards. Here's a Blue/Green Madness Odyssey Block deck that went undefeated at Worlds. It also has no rares in it, just in-demand uncommons.

U/G Madness, OBC

Land (23)
1 Cephalid Coliseum
11 Forest
11 Island

Spells (37)
4 Aquamoeba
4 Arrogant Wurm
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Wonder
4 Aether Burst
4 Careful Study
4 Circular Logic
4 Elephant Guide
1 Roar of the Wurm

In addition, some good staple commons you can get are:
Counterspell
Repulse
Brainstorm
Exclude
Deep Analysis

I'm sleepy now, maybe others can suggest more? :D

13NoVa

he could always go with lacky-sliegh. i played a version that was type 1.5 legal and worked QUITE well, no rares in it, but many oldschool cards.

4 goblin lacky
2 goblin bomb
4 mogg fanatic
4 shock
4 incinerate
4 fireblast
4 lightning bolt
4 chain lightning
2 goblin mutant
3 bottle gnomes
4 firecat blitz
1 zuran orb

20 mountains

rather cheesy, but it works for newbie players.

you could also go with a burn deck. those are even more cheesy.

T

train

Just buy into some newer sets... if possible try buying from the Odyssey through Judgement sets...

Green and Blue exploded together in these sets...

Follow the decklist above by NorrYtt... You'll do extremely well...

X

Xed

I think that I could find most of those cards and have a good time with the deck, especially if they are all green/blue as you say. Now I just need to get a better grasp of the rules and timing of card execution. I guess that comes with experience and lots of games.

Oh, btw, here's my deck in case you were wondering how crappy it is.

----------
8 islands
6 forests

----------
1 Harvest Mage
1 Durkwood Boars
1 Moon Sprite
2 Willow Elf
1 Grizzly Bears

1 Cloud Pirates
1 Stronghold Machinist
1 Vizzerdrix
1 Stormcrow
2 Sea Eagle
2 Wind Drake
1 Snapping Drake
2 Merfolk of PT

------------
1 Eye Spy
1 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Time Ebb

1 Seal of Strength
1 Monstrous Growth
1 Skyshroud Claim

-------------
1 Flowstone Armor

Ok, there it is. I'm not even sure if that's legal number. But, its not realy a "created deck", it's more like a "collected deck". Those are just the cards I have right now.

T

train

For most casual play the minimum cards in a deck is 60, that is tournament minimum period. Some casual players may let you play with less, and you can always play with more...

A general consensus would be to run about 22-24 lands in a 60 card deck... Between creatures and spells everything else is up to you...

If the people you're playing against don't mind your not having the 60 card minimum - then have all the fun you want...

If you have a rules questions or something seems fishy during play - you can post a question in the rules forum and you'll get a response by someone...

And just so you don't get screwed when trading: the symbols on all newer sets are color-coded: black-common, silver-uncommon, and gold-rare. Also, foils are at least worth 2 cards of the same card not foiled... This may help you when trading and trying to get the cards you need...

Have fun...